[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Alyx
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#81 Post by Alyx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:10 pm

Don't get too excited, now - they are only committed to funding 5% of the estimated $200m cost. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like we deserve something more substantial than the venue envisaged below.
AdelaideNow wrote:A RETURNED Turnbull federal government would commit $10 million for a crucial first-stage Memorial Drive upgrade Tennis SA believes would kickstart the final stages of the Adelaide Oval precinct redevelopment.

The Advertiser can reveal that plans are underway for a new $200 million multi-purpose stadium, to be completed within five years.

It is envisaged it would have national netball and basketball sides as co-tenants, while squash would also be accommodated.

The venue would also stage major events and concerts.

The initial $9.786 million Memorial Drive “anchor project” would allow Adelaide to bid for key tournaments, including Davis Cups and Federation Cups.

An outdoor showcourt and two match courts will feature in a 24-court revamp of grass, hard and clay courts. A “walk of champions” will also be built, profiling the historical position of the site and great South Australian players.

“Not only will it bring more tennis to this great state, but it will also serve as an entertainment hub for the city,” said Minister for Industry, Innovation and Science Chris Pyne.

The Federal Government challenged its state counterparts to back the Tennis SA “vision” for an enclosed, “gender inclusive” multipurpose stadium at Memorial Drive.

The SA Government spent $535 million to upgrade Adelaide Oval for football and cricket.

“There is a feasibility study and business case that needs to be done but the $10 million is what the Commonwealth Government is putting on the table and we are getting the project under way,” said Mr Pyne.

“Once it gets under way it will be an unstoppable project.”

Tennis SA chief Steve Baldas said it would be “great” to give women’s sports like tennis and netball a presence in the Adelaide Oval precinct, with a vision similar to Melbourne’s popular Margaret Court Arena.

“The vision for centre court creates a multisport arena that would also be perfect for bring tennis events back to South Australia as well as Davis and Fed Cups,” said Mr Baldas.

Source: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/ten ... 991839ddb6

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Well, they really look like initial concepts, I'm sure the final render would have a lot more detail.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#83 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:49 pm

wow, SA really getting a swag of cash.

looks great and sounds long overdue - what happens to the people who own the existing netball and basketball courts?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#84 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Waewick wrote:wow, SA really getting a swag of cash.
South Australian votes are looking like a deciding factor in who forms government this election, so the pork barreling will be at cynical levels. I do note, however, that these recent promises are all funding exploratory work and not actually funding construction. Each with their caveats and opt out clauses.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#85 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Waewick wrote:wow, SA really getting a swag of cash.
South Australian votes are looking like a deciding factor in who forms government this election, so the pork barreling will be at cynical levels. I do note, however, that these recent promises are all funding exploratory work and not actually funding construction. Each with their caveats and opt out clauses.
True.I'm not holding my breath.

Patrick_27

#86 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:03 pm

This is likely to have something to do with the Coalition really wanting the seat of Adelaide. $10m really isn't that much, hardly worth a vote, especially if these concepts plans are already in some kind of a pipeline.

If these renders are what they're going by, though, It looks really small... I'd have thought any such redevelopment would need to incorporate the land that Next Gen sits on? It's a start I guess. I just hope that the mention of concerts means that this WILL become our primary concert venue. Having both a modern facility such as this and the Entertainment Centre would make about as much sense as the state Liberal proposal to build a new stadium on the railcards that is used for only one sporting code.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#87 Post by ml69 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:42 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:This is likely to have something to do with the Coalition really wanting the seat of Adelaide. $10m really isn't that much, hardly worth a vote, especially if these concepts plans are already in some kind of a pipeline.

If these renders are what they're going by, though, It looks really small... I'd have thought any such redevelopment would need to incorporate the land that Next Gen sits on? It's a start I guess. I just hope that the mention of concerts means that this WILL become our primary concert venue. Having both a modern facility such as this and the Entertainment Centre would make about as much sense as the state Liberal proposal to build a new stadium on the railcards that is used for only one sporting code.
This proposal covers roughly the same footprint as the existing Memorial Drive centre court, hence I envisage the seating capacity is around 7000-7500 people. This make it roughly the same size as Margaret Court Arena in Melb. Such a capacity is ideal for tennis, netball, basketball and midsize concerts.

However, let's be clear, this is not our new Entertainment Centre ... it's too small for that.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:37 am

Bulldoze Next Generation, and make this a large enough to replace the Entertainment Centre.

Something similar to Perth Arena would be ideal... just a different design.

claybro

#89 Post by claybro » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:52 am

The entertainment centre is a great attraction in the Hindmarsh area and extends the vibrancy of the city down Port road (sort of). It would be a shame for the area if it was vacated from its current site to be amalgamated into this venue. This proposal for Memorial Drive, if it accommodates basketball, netball and tennis will be great for those sports and the AO precinct. It allows for some flexibility with 2 larger size venues if they keep the existing Ent Cent. Finally that joke of a venue at Beverly can be moved from its tight little suburban position, and ETSA park is also looking a bit tired and cramped for larger events. This is a great outcome IF its gets off the ground, but as has been said. $10mil of pork barrel at election time does not contribute much in the way of actual work to get this off the ground.

rhino

#90 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:31 am

claybro wrote: that joke of a venue at Beverly can be moved from its tight little suburban position
It's privately owned, jointly, by the Church Basketball Association and ScoutsSA, who are making money from it and saving themselves money by using it whenever they need a large venue, so your call for it to be moved will likely be ignored. Also, the spot is hardly tight, with many acres of parking whenever I've been there.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#91 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:43 am

claybro wrote:The entertainment centre is a great attraction in the Hindmarsh area and extends the vibrancy of the city down Port road (sort of). It would be a shame for the area if it was vacated from its current site to be amalgamated into this venue. This proposal for Memorial Drive, if it accommodates basketball, netball and tennis will be great for those sports and the AO precinct. It allows for some flexibility with 2 larger size venues if they keep the existing Ent Cent. Finally that joke of a venue at Beverly can be moved from its tight little suburban position, and ETSA park is also looking a bit tired and cramped for larger events. This is a great outcome IF its gets off the ground, but as has been said. $10mil of pork barrel at election time does not contribute much in the way of actual work to get this off the ground.
the ETSA park location will be interesting. I know there is a push to kick to the Crows out of Footy Park, perhaps they'll end up there.

Nathan

#92 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:47 am

claybro wrote:The entertainment centre is a great attraction in the Hindmarsh area and extends the vibrancy of the city down Port road (sort of). It would be a shame for the area if it was vacated from its current site to be amalgamated into this venue. This proposal for Memorial Drive, if it accommodates basketball, netball and tennis will be great for those sports and the AO precinct. It allows for some flexibility with 2 larger size venues if they keep the existing Ent Cent. Finally that joke of a venue at Beverly can be moved from its tight little suburban position, and ETSA park is also looking a bit tired and cramped for larger events. This is a great outcome IF its gets off the ground, but as has been said. $10mil of pork barrel at election time does not contribute much in the way of actual work to get this off the ground.
Agreed. I think it's worthwhile having two larger size venues, and EC combined with Coopers Stadium keeps a nice bit of activity around Hindmarsh. When large concerts skip Adelaide, it's not always because of lack of demand here, but can often be availability of the Ent Centre doesn't fit with a tour schedule.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#93 Post by ml69 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:08 pm

BTW I know it's only an early concept, but I really quite like the design concept with the glass walls and flowing white band on the perimeter wall!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#94 Post by rev » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:07 pm

ml69 wrote:BTW I know it's only an early concept, but I really quite like the design concept with the glass walls and flowing white band on the perimeter wall!
It looks better then Adelaide Oval. Interestingly on the news last night the Tennis SA guy(was that one of the Woodies?) said it's only stage 1.

It's good to see that our ideas here, even being as obvious as they are, are things that are being considered and planned for.
Now if only someone would pick up my idea to expand the Torrens river around the eastern and southern parklands :lol:

ml69
Legendary Member!

#95 Post by ml69 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:50 pm

If anyone wants to see the fly-through again (but don't have access through the adelaidenow paywall), go to youtube and search on "memorial drive adelaide redevelopment". Watch it as many times as you like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgqyFP0PFQQ

PS. Hasn't Fitzy aged in the video??!