News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#766 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:48 pm

Adelaide Comets' application for a 1.1m high fence has been voted down 5-4 by Council. Discussion to continue.

I can see both sides of the debate, but the decision sadly keeps National Premier League games away from the CBD.

Article: https://www.indaily.com.au/news/adelaid ... ejects-bid
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#767 Post by victorious80 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:18 am

Is that the soccer pitch that's fairly close to the rail line, down near Sir Donald Bradman? If so, it's not really the part of the parklands where members of the public are likely to venture. It's locked between rail corridor, a main road and other ovals. There is no residential or commercial nearby to encourage any sort of pedestrian movement. In fact, it is prob one of the least amenable and accessible sections of the parklands.

I can understand the need to keep areas of parklands open and inviting where they abut commercial, residential or tourism precincts, but it seems an odd decision in that location. Maybe they didn't want to set a precedent, but surely there is some room for context in these decisions.

Nathan

#768 Post by Nathan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:34 am

victorious80 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:18 am
Is that the soccer pitch that's fairly close to the rail line, down near Sir Donald Bradman? If so, it's not really the part of the parklands where members of the public are likely to venture. It's locked between rail corridor, a main road and other ovals. There is no residential or commercial nearby to encourage any sort of pedestrian movement. In fact, it is prob one of the least amenable and accessible sections of the parklands.

I can understand the need to keep areas of parklands open and inviting where they abut commercial, residential or tourism precincts, but it seems an odd decision in that location. Maybe they didn't want to set a precedent, but surely there is some room for context in these decisions.
It would be this area here:
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 11.32.39 am.png

abc
Legendary Member!

#769 Post by abc » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:33 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:48 pm
Adelaide Comets' application for a 1.1m high fence has been voted down 5-4 by Council. Discussion to continue.

I can see both sides of the debate, but the decision sadly keeps National Premier League games away from the CBD.

Article: https://www.indaily.com.au/news/adelaid ... ejects-bid
have they been kicked out of the athletics 'stadium'?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#770 Post by ml69 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:13 pm

With SA’s bicentenary a mere 11 years away, wouldn’t it be a great legacy for future generations if we could implement a bold vision to substantially spruce up the parklands to create a truly great urban park?

I’ve looked at posts on this discussion going back to 2007 (17 years ago), and the laments over dry barren dustbowls is just as relevant today. Nothing has changed despite countless plans and visions.

We should use the 2036 bicentenary as a one-off generational capital investment into the parklands. This may mean something like (I’m guessing) $300-600 million expenditure, but spread over the next 11 years, it’s actually a relatively modest investment per year.

The below Riverbank Master Plan from 2013 with a redeveloped Bonython Park with wetlands is a great place to start. Nothing has ever happened with this.
https://www.slideshare.net/lmannix1/med ... ion-240613

In addition, let’s implement other sensible proposals to make the parklands into a more attractive destination, beautify them, increase amenity, make them easier to access and make them safer. Ideas include:

- BEAUTIFY/SAFETY: Substantial amount of avenue planting of trees along West, South and East Tce, along with all roads cutting through the parklands. Also avenue plantings along major walkways and bikeways through the parklands, with much improved lighting.
- DESTINATION: Bonython Park rejuvenation with wetlands and water play areas (rename as Bicentennial Park maybe)
- DESTINATION: Build new world-class adventure playgrounds with real “wow” factor to service the Adelaide CBD and surrounding suburbs. Locations could be: Victoria Park (east), adjacent to new Adelaide Aquatic Centre (north), corner South Tce and King William Rd (south) and extension to existing playground at Bonython Park (west).
- DESTINATION/BEAUTIFY: Create an integrated landscaped riverbank along the Torrens between the weir and King William St bridge. With high quality walking/bike paths, seating, new landscaping and boardwalks. Make this well-lit at night.
The transition between the Riverbank walkway (in front of the Convention Centre) and the grassy lawns leading to the River Torrens is absolutely terrible. This should be re-made into a beautifully landscaped terrace which steps down to the lawns.
- DESTINATION: Extend the Himeji Japanese garden concept to include a Chinese garden and desert garden in the south parklands, associated with our sister cities (Qingdao, China and Austin, USA.
- AMENITY: Rebuild those sports club changerooms etc.
- BEAUTIFY: The ugly dry paddocks in the northern parklands and near Anzac Hwy should reinstated as natural bushland habitat with groundcovers and new native trees planted.

These proposals should be relatively uncontroversial. There are undoubtedly loads of other great ideas out there as well.

Further, to ensure parklands maintenance is adequately funded going forwards, the state government should take control over the ACC. The parklands are for all South Australians, they are not a giant council park.

Nathan

#771 Post by Nathan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:08 pm

Agreed, and it's a massive shame that absolutely nothing from that masterplan has been implemented.

I'd add to that list, progress on connecting the different parks by grade separating pedestrian links from the roads that cut across, with the eventual goal of being able to circle the entire city without having to cross a road.

Nort

#772 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:30 am

I could not agree more with the general gist of the last two posts.

Have been spending a fair bit of time in the Botanic gardens in the last few months, and it's always so lively and well-used. Obviously we could never afford to landscape all the parklands to that standard, but it shows how much potential the parklands have not just as a cool green belt for the city, but valuable public infrastructure.

Definitely agree with getting some more adventure playgrounds and the like into the parklands.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#773 Post by ml69 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:47 pm

I have written to Premier Malinauskas about using the 2036 bicentenary as the occasion to get a massive funding boost for the parklands. Let’s see what happens!

ChillyPhilly

#774 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:55 am

Agree completely with all suggestions.

Love the idea of new/expanded/more gardens, coordinated tree plantings and improvements to amenity.

I do have a basic plan for a new/enhanced cycling route with grade separations across all roads. This would be incredible.

2036 is a great opportunity to realise an easy, quickly-achieved but ambitious vision as a big city rather than the lackadaisical Big Country Town Mentality.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#775 Post by ml69 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:13 pm

ml69 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:47 pm
I have written to Premier Malinauskas about using the 2036 bicentenary as the occasion to get a massive funding boost for the parklands. Let’s see what happens!
Got this reply from the Premier’s office today:

“Thank you for your email of 16 April 2024 to the Premier of South Australia, the Hon Peter Malinauskas, MP.

The Premier appreciates your suggestions about Adelaide's Parklands.

We have taken the liberty of forwarding your correspondence to the Minister for Local Government, as some of the proposals are within the remit of the Adelaide City Council.

Some of your other suggestions are more appropriate to be considered by the Adelaide Park Lands Authority, as set out in the Adelaide Park Lands Act 2005, which is committed to the Minister for Planning, and so we have provided this correspondence to the Minister for Planning also.

Once again, thank you for writing to the Premier.”

What does this mean? Will anything happen?

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#776 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:17 pm

ml69 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:13 pm
ml69 wrote:

“Thank you for your email of 16 April 2024 to the Premier of South Australia, the Hon Peter Malinauskas, MP.

We have taken the liberty of forwarding your correspondence to the Minister for Local Government, as some of the proposals are within the remit of the Adelaide City Council.

Some of your other suggestions are more appropriate to be considered by the Adelaide Park Lands Authority, as set out in the Adelaide Park Lands Act 2005, which is committed to the Minister for Planning, and so we have provided this correspondence to the Minister for Planning also.

Probably not, unfortunately. Letters to MPs in Government are responded to by public servants out of courtesy and that's usually the end of it

ChillyPhilly

#777 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:42 pm

ml69 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:13 pm
ml69 wrote:

SA MPs have usually been great at responding to letters. Years ago I wrote two to Patrick Conlon and he replied personally. I wrote to Carmel Zollo and a staffer replied. I have also written to Jay Weatherill and his office followed up my request to meet via a phone call (she was lovely). The meeting occurred, too!