[U/C] Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 130m | 39 levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 130m | 39 levels

#616 Post by mattblack » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:26 am

abc wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:57 pm
mattblack wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:26 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:09 pm

Oh come on, I was enjoying watching people take wild guesses.
Sorry, my apologies for ruining people's fun :banana:
what risk mitigation have they done for the general public?

the weather has been dry and windy blowing up all kinds of dust from that site...many people live, shop and work in the area obviously
Asbestos is not dangerous until it is disturbed, cracked or broken up. Once they found it they have stopped works. Removal of friable asbestos is undertaken under neg air conditions (if they are not sure they will treat it as friable). Back in the day they would of just buried it without the same kind of care that they now treat this kind of material.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#617 Post by rev » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:26 pm

mattblack wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:26 am
abc wrote:
mattblack wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:26 pm

Sorry, my apologies for ruining people's fun :banana:

the weather has been dry and windy blowing up all kinds of dust from that site...many people live, shop and work in the area obviously
Asbestos is not dangerous until it is disturbed, cracked or broken up. Once they found it they have stopped works. Removal of friable asbestos is undertaken under neg air conditions (if they are not sure they will treat it as friable). Back in the day they would of just buried it without the same kind of care that they now treat this kind of material.
I'm not sure if regulations and whatnot have changed, but I know of at least one local demolition company and a large commercial land holder here, who will basically just dispose of it wrapped in black plastic tarp type material. They'll have a guy come in and setup some air monitoring bollards around the perimeter of an exclusion zone that give an audible warning if asbestos is detected in the air. They suit up with masks and everything of course.
Not sure if that was the proper way to remove and dispose of it, because that same demolition company I know did some questionable things when bringing down buildings greater then 3 levels in height :lol:

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#618 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:22 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:26 pm
I'm not sure if regulations and whatnot have changed, but I know of at least one local demolition company and a large commercial land holder here, who will basically just dispose of it wrapped in black plastic tarp type material. They'll have a guy come in and setup some air monitoring bollards around the perimeter of an exclusion zone that give an audible warning if asbestos is detected in the air. They suit up with masks and everything of course.
Not sure if that was the proper way to remove and dispose of it, because that same demolition company I know did some questionable things when bringing down buildings greater then 3 levels in height :lol:
It depends on the nature of the material - what exactly it is, how easily it can be removed etc. If it's a relatively straightforward job such as removing asbestos-cement sheeting/fibro piping etc then careful dismantling with appropriate dust-mitigation measures (such as minimising damage during removal, using water misting), wrapping and sealing in two layers of 200 micron plastic and then disposing at a licenced facility via a skip or truck is pretty much the right course of action - so what you've described sounds OK.

More friable material such as loose fill insulation, pipe/boiler lagging or similar would more likely be removed wet, in a negative pressure environment and disposed of in sealed in drums or bags.

From working in the construction industry I've seen some questionable things in terms of managing asbestos - not so much through shoddy removal (although I'm sure that happens) but more through the complete lack of awareness, training and communication around where asbestos is likely to be located and how to identify it. I remember when I first started out as a graduate engineer excavating brownfield sites I was told to essentially 'watch out for anything that looks like asbestos'. When I asked what it looked like the reply was 'probably fibrous' and that was the extent of my training. Completely useless advice in the grand scheme of things and organisations should be required by law to do much more than this throughout the industry. I became much more aware in the years following but that was 100% due to personal research as opposed to formal training.

That was back in the early 2000s so potentially things have got better since then but somehow I doubt it.

I'd be interested to know what they've found - whether it's a specific application such as a boiler room or pipe lagging, or whether it's just contaminated soil from a previous demolition undertaken at the site. If it's the latter then I have some respect for it being treated correctly as no-one really seems to acknowledge the almost ubiquitous presence of demolition-related asbestos fibres in a large proportion of brownfield soils. Think of all of the fibro roofs etc that would have been smashed down and (usually) buried back in the day...

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#619 Post by mattblack » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:32 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:26 pm
mattblack wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:26 am
abc wrote:

Sounds about right.

Asbestos assessors set up the air monitoring (air pump through a wet filter) and then also take away the monitors after the removal and do analysis under a microscope and see if there are excessive fibres detected. This prevents the removalists from going in and smashing stuff with hammers/excavators etc.

Removalists are 'independent' from assessors and they should at the minimum be suited up with all the relevant PPE. if it is friable then they need to do this under neg air conditions. They do wrap the asbestos in double plastic wrap for transport.

The whole sector is a licence to print money so that can bring in the shonks however this area is highly policed due to the public interest.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#620 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:45 am

Nothing too new, but here's the latest.

(It's mostly a pile of dirt.)

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#621 Post by Pikey » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:04 pm

I just drove past the site before and there is a range of excavators working on site.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#622 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:19 am

I can't post this because I'm not a subscriber, but seems to confirm what has been said already here re: the asbestos related delay: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... nt-1-SCORE

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#623 Post by rev » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:40 am

Yep pretty much the asbestos thing mentioned here previously
Market Square development hit by another delay due to asbestos find
A $400m CBD redevelopment has hit another stumbling block, with major construction halted until the new year after an asbestos find.

Giuseppe Tauriello
@gtauriello
less than 2 min read
November 24, 2023 - 10:48AM

The $400m redevelopment of the Central Market Arcade has hit another stumbling block, with major construction halted until the new year following the discovery of asbestos during demolition work.

Contractors have spent several weeks remediating the soil, and while that work is expected to wrap up this week, developers say construction is unlikely to resume before the end of the year.

Work on the Market Square project – a joint venture between Melbourne developer ICD Property and the Adelaide City Council – was originally meant to start in 2021 and be completed next year.

But the project has been hit with a series of delays, most recently due to design changes which were approved earlier this year, paving the way for demolition work to commence in June.

When national building firm Multiplex commenced demolition and construction work, the company’s state manager Andrew Warren said construction was likely to take around three years to complete.

According to latest estimates, the first stage of the project, including the office component and first-stage apartments are due for completion in 2025, ahead of a new retail offering and hotel in 2026.

ICD Property chief executive Matt Khoo said the latest setback was unlikely to result in any “material delays”.

“Asbestos removal and associated site works are expected to conclude this week,” he said.

“Formal certification to confirm completion of works is necessary prior to construction progressing.

“There are no material delays to progress as a result of this work.

“We’re still awaiting formal certification for completion of the asbestos removal works and at this stage we’re expecting to resume normal works in the new year.”

The Market Square development will feature a hotel, 234 apartments, 21,700sq m of A-grade office space, a 11,000sq m-plus retail precinct and a 3000sq m elevated garden.

In March, the council approved an additional 21 apartments, more office space and two extra storeys, as well as several other design changes.

The amendments came after global construction costs rose by around 20 per cent, prompting council to increase its contribution to the project to $31.92m, $9.3m more than originally planned.

At the time Mr Khoo said it was “no secret” the construction industry was under pressure, but the company had been able to “safeguard Market Square from the worst of it”.

Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

#624 Post by Cryptic » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:33 pm

Doesn't sound all too concerning to me. Looking forward to this one finally going up.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#625 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:38 pm

Same with me. Once the asbestos is cleared up work should be under way.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#626 Post by Will » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:18 pm

From realestate.com:

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#627 Post by Jaymz » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:41 pm

Have to say the new RAA sign on the former Santos/Westpac building looks excellent, especially good at night time when flying into Adelaide 8)

Ursus Maritimus
High Rise Poster!

#628 Post by Ursus Maritimus » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:11 pm

Adelaide looks great. Whoever lives in the above building will get an excellent view of the construction and the precinct once it's complete.

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#629 Post by Prodical » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:14 pm

Wasa bit pushed for time, but a quick photo from across the road - can just see the two diggers.

Will try to get better photos next time I walk by.
Attachments
Market.jpg

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#630 Post by Prodical » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:58 pm

Finally underway :) :)
Attachments
Mark 2.jpg
Mark 1.jpg