[U/C] Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 130m | 39 levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 130m | 39 levels

#571 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:29 pm

The hotel is going to be a ‘Treehouse’: https://indaily.com.au/news/2023/08/28/ ... al-market/

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#572 Post by HiTouch » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:20 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:29 pm
The hotel is going to be a ‘Treehouse’: https://indaily.com.au/news/2023/08/28/ ... al-market/
Well right now it's a hole in the ground, so that's encouraging.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#573 Post by HeapsGood » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:42 pm

For this new development, was there any indication of a change to the loading bay area on Grote st (outside coles), or having a new dedicated underground loading bay? Where would it be accessed from?
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#574 Post by Ben » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:45 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Underwhelming brand for what should be a landmark location. Why they would go with a "chain" that only has 2 other hotels (in the UK) is really strange.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#575 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:23 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:45 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Underwhelming brand for what should be a landmark location. Why they would go with a "chain" that only has 2 other hotels (in the UK) is really strange.

Let's not forget this hotel will sit atop of the Central Market, do people really expect offshoot brands of Marriott or Sofitel to set up here? Personally, I'd rather a hotel brand that will bring in a clientele that will embrace the Market and its current food and hospitality offering, not clientele that expect finer/high-class dining experiences within a stones throw of where they are staying. I think the 'family friendly' idea behind Treehouse is very appealing to the market, even if the brand is relatively young and emerging. After all, this development was about enhancing the current Central Market not trying to change it and place it out of reach for the average shopper.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#576 Post by rev » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:24 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:45 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:

Maybe it's more so who they were able to attract, or weren't able to attract..

PeFe

#577 Post by PeFe » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:55 pm

The Treehouse Hotel in London is charging around $700 per night....is that not upmarket enough for some people on this forum?
https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/treeho ... en-gb.html

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#578 Post by Jaymz » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:59 pm

I did also think this was a bit of a strange outcome, being only the second Treehouse site on the planet.

After checking out the London Treehouse website, it became pretty obvious they are going for a particular aesthetic that they hope will fit into the Market "vibe". So to speak.

Here's hoping they can make a success of it.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#579 Post by Ben » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:31 pm

I think people misunderstood my comment. It need not be upmarket but the brand is relatively untested. I would have thought there would be a brand with a long history (of successful outcomes) rather than a brand new brand…

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#580 Post by SRW » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:56 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:31 pm
I think people misunderstood my comment. It need not be upmarket but the brand is relatively untested. I would have thought there would be a brand with a long history (of successful outcomes) rather than a brand new brand…
Does it matter? By the time this is built, I dare say this brand will have proliferated like similar efforts in the yuppie segment such as W Hotels or (locally) QT. I would take it as a vote of confidence to launch their southern hemisphere endeavour in Adelaide.
Keep Adelaide Weird

abc
Legendary Member!

#581 Post by abc » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:57 pm

'family friendly' is industry code for low end

Nort

#582 Post by Nort » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:20 pm

abc wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:57 pm
'family friendly' is industry code for low end
Doesn't look very low end from the rooms linked.

Brand seems like a great fit for the site in my opinion.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#583 Post by rev » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:40 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:56 pm
Ben wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:31 pm
Does it matter? By the time this is built, I dare say this brand will have proliferated like similar efforts in the yuppie segment such as W Hotels or (locally) QT. I would take it as a vote of confidence to launch their southern hemisphere endeavour in Adelaide.
Is there any statements or media releases from the hotel group about why they chose Adelaide?

Anyway, these pictures from their London property look pretty cool, hopefully something similar is done here.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#584 Post by Jaymz » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:29 pm

Here's the article from The Advertiser, August 28th....

Treehouse Hotels to open in $400m Market Square development
A “playful” Treehouse Hotel has been selected for part of the $400m Market Square development.

Giuseppe Tauriello
@gtauriello
August 28, 2023 - 2:22PM

The Australian Business Network

A “playful and fun” brand that “captures the nostalgia of childhood” has been selected to operate the hotel component of the $400m Market Square development.

Treehouse Hotels will open its first Australian location at the Central Market Arcade site following a competitive selection process undertaken by developer ICD Property and joint venture partner the Adelaide City Council.

The brand, which is part of the luxury SH Hotels & Resorts group, opened its first hotel in London in 2019, and has plans for more openings in Manchester, California, Miami and Riyadh.

Market Square is set to become the brand’s first location in Australia and will offer 248 rooms across 10 levels in the development's 39-storey tower.

It will also feature a restaurant and bar with outdoor seating, a street-front cafe showcasing local produce, more than 500sq m of indoor and outdoor event space and more than 230sq m of fitness and wellness facilities.

SH Hotels & Resorts chief executive Raul Leal said the “original and upbeat lifestyle” hotel offering would complement other elements of the mixed-use development.

“We were drawn to the history and the energy of the Adelaide Central Market precinct and we are thrilled to be part of its exciting future,” he said.

“We believe this partnership will elevate both Market Square and the hospitality industry as a whole. Treehouse Hotel at Market Square will creatively capture the carefree comfort, freedom and nostalgia of childhood that appeals to all of us.”

Construction at the Market Square site commenced in June and the project will be delivered in stages. The commercial component and first-stage apartments are due for completion in 2025, ahead of the new retail offering and hotel in 2026.

Once completed the project will feature the hotel, 234 apartments, 21,700sq m of A-grade office space, a 11,000sq m-plus retail precinct and a 3000sq m elevated garden.

ICD Property deputy managing director Sal Quah said the hotel would also have a focus on sustainability.

“Treehouse Hotel will create a one-of-a-kind hotel experience for Adelaide that blends seamlessly with the lively atmosphere of Market Square,” he said.

“Our strategic partnership with Treehouse Hotels reflects our shared commitment to providing an exceptional guest experience while minimising environmental impact.

“Treehouse Hotel seamlessly harmonises with the diverse offerings of Market Square, creating a dynamic and convenient experience – guests can enjoy easy access to a vibrant retail scene, ensuring that everything they need is within reach, while visitors to the precinct will be able to enjoy the hotel’s restaurant and bar.”

Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith said the new hotel would “contribute to the economic vitality of the city, positioning Adelaide as the ultimate destination in Australia”.

The Treehouse Hotels brand is the brainchild of US billionaire Barry Sternlicht, whose private investment firm Starwood Capital Group is behind the SH Hotels & Resorts group.

The announcement of its first Australian location in Adelaide comes as hundreds of global hotel delegates descend on Sydney for this week’s Hotel Investment Conference Asia Pacific conference.

Prodical
Legendary Member!

#585 Post by Prodical » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:06 pm

The demolition is pretty well completed. I assume the site is being levelled in readiness for piling?
Attachments
Market.jpg