Thebarton Brewery Site Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

Re: Thebarton Brewery Site Redevelopment

#31 Post by Saltwater » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:07 pm

Buy the land for $70 million, clear it, lay down some grass, build some stables, and you've got a nice new home for the police barracks and $30mil in pocket change as opposed to moving them to Gepps Cross.

Personally I'd love to see a decent sized mixed use on this site, similar to Plant 4, but ideally if they were going to do that they would have purchased the land before building the tramline next to it.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:40 pm

A good outcome I think. At least under Renewal SA there's likely to be movement on the site in the short term. In private hands it could sit there for a couple of decades in the short term.

I also wonder if there will be a portion of the land dedicated to a new tram depot?

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:03 pm

Good outcome if they build medium density there. Also Michelle Lensink is a moron :wallbash: and Maras sums up well the benefit of Renewal SA managing it.

Nathan

#34 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:59 pm

Was thinking the same about a tram depot.

I think RenewalSA masterplanning it in a similar manner to Bowden is the way to go. Under that model, individual lots go out to private developers, so they still get in on the action, but falling under the desires of the plan. My only concern is RenewalSA's glacial pace with Bowden, and doing the same thing that developers do and fall back to townhouses because it's easier. I do find it interesting that RenewalSA wants to pick it up though after just offloading Gasworks because they wanted someone else to deliver it.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#35 Post by rev » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:28 pm

Good news.
Build housing, forget the tram depot that we don't need at the moment or the foreseeable future. Housing is needed yesterday.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by baytram366 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:52 am

A tram depot could easily be built at ground level and apartments built over the top. I am sure its been done elsewhere in thew world
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:56 am

baytram366 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:52 am
A tram depot could easily be built at ground level and apartments built over the top. I am sure its been done elsewhere in thew world
Without taking the thread too far off topic, is there a reason the Glengowrie depot can't be expanded? There's a fairly large amount of vacant land between the depot and Morphett Rd that would roughly double the depots size. Why can't this be used to expand the depot rather than building a new one elsewhere?

Or is the new depot at the other end of the network needed for logistical reasons to reduce the amount of dead running?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:29 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:56 am
baytram366 wrote:
Without taking the thread too far off topic, is there a reason the Glengowrie depot can't be expanded? There's a fairly large amount of vacant land between the depot and Morphett Rd that would roughly double the depots size. Why can't this be used to expand the depot rather than building a new one elsewhere?

Or is the new depot at the other end of the network needed for logistical reasons to reduce the amount of dead running?
The Morphett Road level crossing needs to be grade separated and I imagine that would cause all sorts of access issues for the depot.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#39 Post by SBD » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:30 pm

My preference would be that the riverbank looks like a lovely place to house the horsies, and build "affordable" medium density housing at Gepps Cross, adjacent to Roma Mitchell College, on elevated land with views towards the coast. The Hindmarsh site might be big enough for all of the other police functions currently at the historic barracks, and a tram barn as well, especially if some of the police can be above the trams. Gepps Cross housing would be 30 minutes by bike on the Levels-City Bikeway to University of Adelaide, and 20 minutes to Mawson Lakes campus.

I think politics has made that option untenable.

I don't quite grasp what is gained by RenewalSA outbidding private developers. The government still has ultimate planning control. Is the Munno Para greenfield Playford Alive (RenewalSA) development significantly better than the private developments in surrounding suburbs such as Andrews Farm, Munno Para West, Munno Para Downs, Blakeview and Angle Vale? Some of those developments seem to be just as fast, if not faster. All have the mandated minimum open space and stormwater management.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:28 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:30 pm
My preference would be that the riverbank looks like a lovely place to house the horsies, and build "affordable" medium density housing at Gepps Cross, adjacent to Roma Mitchell College, on elevated land with views towards the coast. The Hindmarsh site might be big enough for all of the other police functions currently at the historic barracks, and a tram barn as well, especially if some of the police can be above the trams. Gepps Cross housing would be 30 minutes by bike on the Levels-City Bikeway to University of Adelaide, and 20 minutes to Mawson Lakes campus.

I think politics has made that option untenable.

I don't quite grasp what is gained by RenewalSA outbidding private developers. The government still has ultimate planning control. Is the Munno Para greenfield Playford Alive (RenewalSA) development significantly better than the private developments in surrounding suburbs such as Andrews Farm, Munno Para West, Munno Para Downs, Blakeview and Angle Vale? Some of those developments seem to be just as fast, if not faster. All have the mandated minimum open space and stormwater management.
The riverbank is perfect for medium density and is far more likely to have demand for it than Gepps Cross.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by baytram366 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:47 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
baytram366 wrote:

As far as I know, the vacant land next to the depot is owned by the SAJC and they won't sell to the government as they use it for parking on race days. In my opinion, its a massive waste of good land just sitting there empty.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#42 Post by rev » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:23 am

baytram366 wrote:
It has been done in Zurich. Seven stories above a tram depot.

whatstheirnamesmom
Gold-Member ;)

#43 Post by whatstheirnamesmom » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:17 pm

baytram366 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:47 am
SouthAussie94 wrote:
baytram366 wrote:

As far as I know, the vacant land next to the depot is owned by the SAJC and they won't sell to the government as they use it for parking on race days. In my opinion, its a massive waste of good land just sitting there empty.
This might not really mean much – and admittedly I don't know that much about the SA planning system these days – but I find it interesting that both the Glengowrie Depot and the SAJC land immediately east have 'Open Space Proclamation Areas' applied to them. The SAJC land is 'Recreation' land under the P&D code. I assume the OSP Area means they can't build anything further that would reduce open space. No idea when it was applied though and can't find any further details about it. And I don't know why one is applied to the current depot given the land is fairly developed and little open space still exists on the site.

Sorry if off-topic mods, please feel free to move to the Tram thread if deemed not relevant.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:38 pm

A small tram depot on the site would help the tram system in being able to manage the fleet, especially during partial closures of various parts of the line. It will also remove a lot of dead running around the system and allow the Botanic Line to have earlier services.

Hopefully this development will not be underdone by recent comments about high density and "towers" by the premier. It will do well though to provide housing to up-and-coming businesses in this area.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:14 pm