Sir Donald Bradman Drv / Marion Rd Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Vasco
High Rise Poster!

Sir Donald Bradman Drv / Marion Rd Upgrade

#1 Post by Vasco » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:29 pm

A welcome and well-overdue project.

Is someone able to upload the article text?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Sir Donald Bradman Drv / Marion Rd Upgrade

#2 Post by rev » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:36 pm

Major $85m upgrade of Sir Donald Bradman Dr and Marion Rd intersection going ahead

Nearly 15 properties will be acquired or affected under an $85m upgrade to one of Adelaide’s busiest intersections near the airport.

Michael McGuire
@mcguiremi
less than 2 min read
July 28, 2023 - 11:37AM

Fourteen properties will be partially or fully acquired by the state government as part of a long-awaited $85 million upgrade of the intersection at Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Marion Rd.

Infrastructure Minister Tom Koutsantonis said the upgrade would be jointly funded by the state and federal governments and would benefit the 60,00 vehicles that passed through the intersection each day.

“The intersection is a direct link between the city and the airport, and this upgrade will

ensure that people can get to their destination on time,’’ Mr Koutsantonis said. “This upgrade isn’t just about motorists, it is also about providing improved access and safety for cyclists and pedestrians.’’

The upgrades will include new turning lanes on Sir Donald Bradman Drive in both directions, along with an extended left-turn lane on Marion Road (northbound) heading west on to Sir Donald Bradman Drive.

New bicycle lanes will be installed on all approaches, with pedestrian crossings to be upgraded to improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians.

The project was first announced by the former Marshall government in 2021, which predicted the overhaul would be complete by 2024.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Eurostar » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:55 pm

Bit disappointing to not see Bus Priority Lane/B Light at the proposed intersection upgrade

abc
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by abc » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:12 pm

speaking of this road...the bridge over the railway line at Mile End is sagging in several areas

looks like its about to fall down...hopefully it isn't, but it looks dilapidated

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:05 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:55 pm
Bit disappointing to not see Bus Priority Lane/B Light at the proposed intersection upgrade
This would indeed be a bit of a disastrous omission. Hopefully there is an opportunity to provide feedback to point it out.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#6 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:59 am

abc wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:12 pm
speaking of this road...the bridge over the railway line at Mile End is sagging in several areas

looks like its about to fall down...hopefully it isn't, but it looks dilapidated
Have noticed this when driving over it, I’m the bridge would easily be 50 years old? I’m not sure the cost would be but might a tunnel might prove a better fit for this section of road.

SBD

#7 Post by SBD » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:55 pm

Once the North South Motorway is completed, this stops being the main road to the airport, doesn't it? People from the north have to leave the motorway before Port Road and use Grange Road and Airport Road; people from the South will use a new access via Richmond Road?

The quote says it will improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians. Will Mr Koutsantonis be out with his kids including riding north along that green stripe with turning traffic on the left, and straight through traffic on the right, plus all the people who make a late decision to turn left across the green stripe? I wonder how wide it is.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:48 am

SBD wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:55 pm
Once the North South Motorway is completed, this stops being the main road to the airport, doesn't it? People from the north have to leave the motorway before Port Road and use Grange Road and Airport Road; people from the South will use a new access via Richmond Road?
It will be split among the three roads, but Sir Donald Bradman Drive will still be used by those coming from the city. I'll guess Sir Donald Bradman Drive will still be the busiest, but it won't be the majority like it is now.

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by GrowAdelaide » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:07 am

Long overdue, couldn't count the amount of times I've been stuck three cars from the front trying to turn left onto SDB drive heading north on Marion Road. Will hopefully stop cars using the back streets as a rat run now too.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by neoballmon » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:39 am

Post by DIT on Facebook showing the works. Also includes a link for a survey for feedback, and those bus lane ideas previously mentioned. https://dit.sa.gov.au/MarionSDB
FB_IMG_1690765593014.jpg
Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

abc
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by abc » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:36 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:59 am
abc wrote:

Have noticed this when driving over it, I’m the bridge would easily be 50 years old? I’m not sure the cost would be but might a tunnel might prove a better fit for this section of road.
its not that old
I think it was built in the 90's

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by PD2/20 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:17 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:36 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:

its not that old
I think it was built in the 90's

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Saltwater » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:52 pm

If there are any fixes required to the Hilton Bridges, you'd hope they get onto them sooner rather than later, with the increased traffic that will result from work on the Marion / SDB intersection.

Also worth noting that James Congdon does not currently allow right turns onto SBD heading east. I assume this is to keep as much traffic off the South Road section as possible, and keep those traveling from the south using Anzac Highway instead. Believe this will change when the NSM is built to allow right turns, which is a useful shortcut for some given that section of James Congdon down to South Road is dual carriageway with no development on it directly, and heading north it's an easy right turn, over the Hilton Bridges, and onto West Terrace in no time at all.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#14 Post by rev » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:41 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
abc wrote:

The bridge has been that way for quite a few years now.

SCF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by SCF » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:07 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
abc wrote:

As others have pointed out, the current bridges were built in the mid 80's. The old bridges were to the south of the current ones and I think that anyone who remembers them will tell you they most definitely sagged, were badly dilapidated and were about to fall down.