2034 FIFA World Cup, 2026 AFC Womens Cup, 2029 World Club Cup

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

2034 FIFA World Cup, 2026 AFC Womens Cup, 2029 World Club Cup

#1 Post by rev » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:29 am

Football Australia sets sights on hosting 2026 AFC Women’s Asian Cup and 2034 FIFA World Cup

The Women’s World Cup is just the beginning for Football Australia, with its CEO revealing plans to host three other major tournaments.

Erin Smith EXCLUSIVE
@_Erin_Smith 2 min read August 5, 2023 - 5:30AM

The FIFA Women’s World Cup still has two weeks to go but Football Australia is already looking ahead with CEO James Johnson revealing he hopes to hold the AFC Women’s Asian Cup on home soil in 2026 and the Men’s World Cup in 2034.

Johnson, speaking exclusively to CODE Sports, said Football Australia had already lodged a bid and expression of interest for the Asian Cup – with the next step dependent on $45 million of joint funding from the federal and state governments.

“We need funding to be locked in so that we can prepare ourselves for that bid,” Johnson said.

“If we do get the support from the federal and state governments I am confident that we’ll win that bid and that means that we’ll have the Women’s Asian Cup here in January 2026.”

With the Brisbane 2032 Olympics chewing up huge amounts of Queensland’s budget and the Victorian Government withdrawing from hosting the 2026 Commonwealth Games due to the predicted cost blow out- the majority share of the funds may have to come from the Federal Government’s wallet.

While a timeline hasn’t been confirmed Johnson expected a decision on the hosts to be made by the end of the year.

It isn’t the only major tournament Football Australia have their eyes on with plans also in the making to submit bids for the 2029 Club World Cup (a new competition launching in 2025) and the 2034 Men’s World Cup.

More funding will obviously also be needed for those two major events but so will more infrastructure – particularly rectangular stadiums.

The FIFA bid evaluation report estimated the cost of running the current FIFA Women’s World Cup was $150 million – with $100 million coming from governments.

It reportedly cost Brazil $19.7 billion to host the Men’s World Cup in 2014, and South Africa $7.2 billion in 2010. Germany had a tighter budget, most likely due to more existing infrastructure – delivering the tournament at $5.2 billion.

But with the tournament expanding Johnson said the cost wouldn’t need to be covered by just one country.
“There’s 48 teams now (in the Men’s World Cup),” Johnson said.

“Which means it is very difficult for one country to host on its own … so we’d need to co-host obviously.

“We have a very long standing relationship with New Zealand, we’ve co-hosted this Women’s World Cup, so it could be Australia, New Zealand and another country in Asia – they are all part of the strategy.

“The main thing from a tournament perspective is if you want big matches and I’m talking finals and semi finals, you need rectangular stadiums.”

Winning any of these bids would continue to grow the sport in Australia but Johnson said the flow-on effects were numerous.

“It’s good for the economy, it’s good from a jobs point of view, it’s good for tourism, it’s good for the brand of our country and showcasing what a great country we are,” Johnson said.

“We’ve had the three years leading into the Women’s World Cup – which is a very big deal for Australia but also the rest of the world. If we’re able to host the 2026 Women’s Asian Cup that just extends that period.

“It means we will see the Matildas’ on local shores more often … It would extend this period that we’ve got top tier women’s football content.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fo ... 5644923244

Germany paid $5.2 billion, in 2010.
Brazil paid $19.7 billion in 2014.

These are two of the biggest 'soccer' nations on the planet. What's it going to cost Australia & NZ for 2034?

We're going to have to come up with some more stadiums. I think the minimum is 40,000 for the regular round, 60,000 for finals and 80,000+ for the final.
And I don't think FIFA will accept oval shaped playing surfaces like the MCG, OPTUS Stadium and Adelaide Oval. If you look at the US/CANADA/MEXICO venues, not one oval in sight. The smallest capacity venue will be in Canada, a stadium currently at 30,000 being expanded to 45,000.
There's also minimum media capabilities within the stadium that FIFA requires, among other things.

NSW
Allianz Stadium - 42,500, rectangular
Accor Stadium/Stadium Australia - 81,500, mostly rectangular
CommBank Stadium - 30,000, rectangular

VIC
AAMI Park - 30,050 , rectangular

QLD
Suncorp Stadium - 52,500 , rectangular

SA & WA will miss out unless rectangular stadiums to FIFA standards are built.
NZ will have to do significant upgrades and/or build new stadiums.

48 teams, 80 games.
14 stadiums are needed, if not more. USA/CAN/MEX are using 16. 60 of the games are going to be in the USA, Canada & Mexico will host 10 each.
I believe only one city can have two host venues.

FIFA also requires minimum airport hourly handling capacities, public transport services etc.
South Africa spent $2.6 billion USD to upgrade their public transport for the world cup in 2010.
There's even minimum accommodation requirements. Brazil had to bring in cruise ships and expand a port because they didn't have enough hotels.
They also require training bases for each of the teams, and training facilities at the venues too.

Sydney and Melbourne will be able to cope, so to Brisbane I'd imagine with the infrastructure built for the Olympics.

Unless we see big investment in Adelaide, and lets face it we need better infrastructure particularly public transport, we wont make the cut. One thing in particular FIFA looks at apparently is how will fans/tourists get from the airport to the venues? In our case, what are they going to see, a leisurely drive down Sir Donald Bradman Drive?
Perth who knows, they seem to be building and building over there unlike Adelaide. They'll probably make the cut as they'd probably invest in a new rectangular stadium and better public transport services.

The way South Australia is, we'd probably just end up being used as a training base and miss out on the important stuff.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

Re: 2034 FIFA World Cup, 2026 AFC Womens Cup, 2029 World Club Cup

#2 Post by A-Town » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:56 am

rev wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:29 am
Germany paid $5.2 billion, in 2010.
Brazil paid $19.7 billion in 2014.

These are two of the biggest 'soccer' nations on the planet. What's it going to cost Australia & NZ for 2034?

We're going to have to come up with some more stadiums. I think the minimum is 40,000 for the regular round, 60,000 for finals and 80,000+ for the final.
And I don't think FIFA will accept oval shaped playing surfaces like the MCG, OPTUS Stadium and Adelaide Oval. If you look at the US/CANADA/MEXICO venues, not one oval in sight. The smallest capacity venue will be in Canada, a stadium currently at 30,000 being expanded to 45,000.
There's also minimum media capabilities within the stadium that FIFA requires, among other things.

NSW
Allianz Stadium - 42,500, rectangular
Accor Stadium/Stadium Australia - 81,500, mostly rectangular
CommBank Stadium - 30,000, rectangular

VIC
AAMI Park - 30,050 , rectangular

QLD
Suncorp Stadium - 52,500 , rectangular

SA & WA will miss out unless rectangular stadiums to FIFA standards are built.
NZ will have to do significant upgrades and/or build new stadiums.

48 teams, 80 games.
14 stadiums are needed, if not more. USA/CAN/MEX are using 16. 60 of the games are going to be in the USA, Canada & Mexico will host 10 each.
I believe only one city can have two host venues.

FIFA also requires minimum airport hourly handling capacities, public transport services etc.
South Africa spent $2.6 billion USD to upgrade their public transport for the world cup in 2010.
There's even minimum accommodation requirements. Brazil had to bring in cruise ships and expand a port because they didn't have enough hotels.
They also require training bases for each of the teams, and training facilities at the venues too.

Sydney and Melbourne will be able to cope, so to Brisbane I'd imagine with the infrastructure built for the Olympics.

Unless we see big investment in Adelaide, and lets face it we need better infrastructure particularly public transport, we wont make the cut. One thing in particular FIFA looks at apparently is how will fans/tourists get from the airport to the venues? In our case, what are they going to see, a leisurely drive down Sir Donald Bradman Drive?
Perth who knows, they seem to be building and building over there unlike Adelaide. They'll probably make the cut as they'd probably invest in a new rectangular stadium and better public transport services.

The way South Australia is, we'd probably just end up being used as a training base and miss out on the important stuff.
Australia bidded for the 2022 World Cup and as part of the bid, several 'oval shaped' stadiums were included, such as the MCG and Adelaide Oval. Several other grounds that were part of the submission required expansions to lift capacity to 40,000.

Obviously rectangular stadiums are preferrable to be used, but I don't know for certain if FIFA have an outright ban on the use of non-rectangular shaped stadiums. I wonder what upgrades Adelaide Oval would need to be able to host matches? Do we have enough media facilities, are FIFA comfortable with standing room on the hill or would we need to fill in the northern section of the ground with a new stand? One massive tick is the ground's location and connection to public transport services.

Adelaide Oval may be our only option as it's hard to see us building a new centrally located 40,000 seat rectangular stadium for the event.

If fans getting from the airport to venues is something FIFA looks at, then a tram link to the airport should be built. The tram should also be extended to O'Connell St, with a stop outside Adelaide Oval.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia ... ld_Cup_bid

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:39 pm

image_2023-08-06_122419421.png
I wonder what the viewing distances would be at Adelaide Oval?

I don't think we need to build a permanent 40,000+ seat rectangular stadium. It should be possible to build a 20,000~ capacity rectangular stadium, in a more suitable location then Hindmarsh, that can have capacity temporarily increased.

The other issue with using Adelaide Oval, or other AFL venues, would be the AFL it self. The World Cup is generally held in the May-July time frame, I think Qatar 2022 was the only one that was held outside of that in November-December I believe due to the heat in the Middle East.
There's also the NRL as well over the winter months that use the rectangular stadiums.

There'd be a month, give or take, to get the pitches at venues ready, if it were to be held at the end of spring/start of summer.

Most of the listed stadiums in that wiki link don't say they meet FIFA requirements, some of the rectangular stadiums do though.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Hooligan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:39 pm

The fact that Qatar hosted this circus is proof all of FIFAs rules are bogus.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

abc
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by abc » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:19 am

rev wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:39 pm

I don't think we need to build a permanent 40,000+ seat rectangular stadium. It should be possible to build a 20,000~ capacity rectangular stadium, in a more suitable location then Hindmarsh, that can have capacity temporarily increased.

The other issue with using Adelaide Oval, or other AFL venues, would be the AFL it self. The World Cup is generally held in the May-July time frame, I think Qatar 2022 was the only one that was held outside of that in November-December I believe due to the heat in the Middle East.
There's also the NRL as well over the winter months that use the rectangular stadiums.

There'd be a month, give or take, to get the pitches at venues ready, if it were to be held at the end of spring/start of summer.

Most of the listed stadiums in that wiki link don't say they meet FIFA requirements, some of the rectangular stadiums do though.
no

just no

its not a football stadium, its nothing close to being one and has all kinds of problems that can't be remedied

I've seen this movie before with Australia attempting to host the World Cup. Just forget about it.

Qatar put on a near flawless event and had world class stadiums that nothing in this country is even close to.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:58 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:19 am
rev wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:39 pm

no

just no

its not a football stadium, its nothing close to being one and has all kinds of problems that can't be remedied

I've seen this movie before with Australia attempting to host the World Cup. Just forget about it.

Qatar put on a near flawless event and had world class stadiums that nothing in this country is even close to.
Most, if not all, of those stadiums in Qatar were new. When Australia hosted the Olympics, a new stadium and other venues were also built from scratch.

If Australia does host the World Cup there will be new stadiums in Adelaide and Perth, with a possibility of AAMI Park in Melbourne being expanded. Adelaide Oval does not come close to meeting FIFA requirements.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:00 am

I'll add to Norman's points that some of those Qatar stadiums are temporary as well.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Listy » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:42 am

Despite the official bidding process not even beginning yet, it's looking more and more likely that the 2034 WC host has already been chosen in favour of FIFA's favourite oil rich buddy, Saudi Arabia:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... d-cup-2034

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:11 pm

Listy wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:42 am
Despite the official bidding process not even beginning yet, it's looking more and more likely that the 2034 WC host has already been chosen in favour of FIFA's favourite oil rich buddy, Saudi Arabia:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... d-cup-2034
Going to be as ridiculous as Qatar was, although I guess to be fair at least the Saudis actually have a history with the game.