[PRO] New Adelaide Aquatic Centre | $135M

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] New Adelaide Aquatic Centre | $135M

#1 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:54 am

Considering this is a $135M infrastructure project I'm not sure it belongs in the parklands thread, so have created a new one. Feel free to merge it, I'm never sure what the rules are around this stuff...

Here's an article from the Advertiser yesterday:
State government unveils concept designs for the new $135 million Adelaide Aquatic Centre

The state government has released concept designs of the $135 million Adelaide Aquatic Centre as they lodge plans with the state’s planning authority.

The newly released concept designs show the centre surrounded by greenery in the heart of Adelaide’s northern parklands.

The building, which will use 100 per cent renewable energy, will be made out of locally sourced and low carbon emission materials.

The new Adelaide Aquatic Centre designs. Picture: Supplied.

Transport and Infrastructure Minster Tom Koutsantonis said the centre would “blend into the natural landscape”.

“With its smaller footprint, sustainable design and lower height than the existing facility, the new centre will blend into the natural landscape of the Park Lands and respect the National Heritage principles,” he said.

The centre will be complete with outside recreation spaces. Picture: Supplied

The facility will be complete with lawned recreation spaces, outdoor and indoor pool areas, water slides and splash zones.

The centre will also have a spa, sauna and steam room, gym and other fitness facilities for use.

The number of car parks available to the public will increase from 266, at the current site, to 375.

The centre will be made out of locally ... : Supplied

The centre will be located in Adelaide’s northern parklands. Picture: Supplied

Charging stations will also be available in the car park for electric vehicles and there will be space for 55 bicycles.

The plans have been lodged with the State Commission Assessment Panel which will give the public the opportunity to view and provide feedback via the PlanSA website.

“Planning approval is the next big step towards delivering a world-class aquatic centre that South Australians can enjoy for generations,” Mr Koutsantonis said.

Construction of the centre will begin once the government obtains planning permission.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... f3f04031ab
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO] Re: New Adelaide Aquatic Centre

#2 Post by SRW » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:12 pm

Not really sure why a smaller centre that's no longer state standard requires an expanded carpark with more than 100 additional spaces, especially given the lip service to sustainability.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#3 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:52 pm

I hate this proposal. The downscaling of the centre and the location make me wondering what kind of city planners the state government and ACC have working for them. This is the only rare instance where I believe we should be removing trees to ensure this is built at the end of O’Connell Street and built to a size and standard that allows this to become our state aquatic centre. Tucking a boutique centre away from major transport corridors and surrounding businesses seems so blatantly intended.

Nathan

#4 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:26 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:12 pm
Not really sure why a smaller centre that's no longer state standard requires an expanded carpark with more than 100 additional spaces, especially given the lip service to sustainability.
Because Mali loves a good car park.

Algernon

#5 Post by Algernon » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:32 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:54 am
The building, which will use 100 per cent renewable energy, will be made out of locally sourced and low carbon emission materials.
Anyone can claim their building is 70% powered by renewable energy. By plugging it into the grid.

By the time this thing is built, the mains supply will be 100% renewable anyway.

Not sure what value there is in selling this anymore. Unless it's off grid and battery, in which case it's kinda nice to think the lights won't turn off when you're in the steam room.

Says a lot about the minds behind this project in that the announcement about a new swimming pool says all you need to know except.... how many swimming pools it has.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:42 pm

The plans look okay, but not overly inspiring as others have already said. The way this government feel the need to sensationalise everything so much though is silly - is this really "world-class" aquatic centre? I would think not. They constantly talk up (often) just doing the bare minimum as though they're doing something completely revolutionary, it's tiresome at best, and feels very disingenuous.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#7 Post by rev » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:03 pm

Definitely should have it's own thread.

From the eye-level renders, it looks like a library or school, or even a suburban recreation centre.
From the aerial shot, it looks ok.

I think if the government is going to go ahead with this, and draw all that controversy and criticism, they need to go bigger and bolder and make it worthwhile copping all that shit, because the end result be justifiable. This, this isn't worth all that shit. And I'm someone in favour of a redeveloped swimming centre in the parklands.

Llessur2002

[PRO] Re: New Adelaide Aquatic Centre | $135M

#8 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:27 pm

Have there been any details released on the size and number of pools in the new centre?

I hadn't stepped foot into the existing Aquatic Centre until the kids started swimming lessons and was surprised at the scale - it's actually a really good set up and the building itself is pretty impressive. It must have been quite a facility in its day.

Llessur2002

#9 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:43 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:27 pm
Have there been any details released on the size and number of pools in the new centre?
Ah, found it:

Nathan

#10 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:11 pm

The only thing I want are change rooms that don't require a long walk from the pool through the entry foyer with the cold air blowing in every time someone comes through the doors, whilst navigating a crowd of people standing around waiting for a birthday party to be set up.

Llessur2002

#11 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:21 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:11 pm
The only thing I want are change rooms that don't require a long walk from the pool through the entry foyer with the cold air blowing in every time someone comes through the doors, whilst navigating a crowd of people standing around waiting for a birthday party to be set up.
Likewise - the changing room set up is awful particularly if, like me, you need to kids of the opposite sex into your changing rooms. A single family cubicle (or private space of any kind) really isn't enough for such a large and busy centre. I know there are the couple of accessible changing and toilet spaces at the other end of the foyer but they're always occupied and I feel bad taking up an accessible space when all I need is one where there isn't a group of 80 year old men proudly standing around with their todgers out.

I'm not sure if it's still there but I a few months ago I saw a sign near the men's changing room saying something along the lines of 'an additional family changing space is located at the rear of the pool area'. I've had a good look around for it but have never been able to see anything.

Any ideas?

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by HiTouch » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:50 pm

I genuinely want to know what makes this aquatic centre "world class". Just looked up the definition of world class, Miriam Webster defines it as being "of the highest calibre in the world". If I was a swimmer, what would draw me to this aquatic centre over other places?

There are some really nice ones around the world these days:
https://www.redbull.com/au-en/coolest-s ... the-world
https://traveltriangle.com/blog/indoor- ... he-world/

I don't want to bring my friends from interstate to a "misty due to the warm urine" style indoor city pool that the aquatic centre is known to be. If it's not world class, then why not just call it what it is: a high quality renovated community pool? There's nothing wrong with calling it that if thats the function. Why disappoint people with this over-the-top branding?

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:55 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:50 pm
I genuinely want to know what makes this aquatic centre "world class". Just looked up the definition of world class, Miriam Webster defines it as being "of the highest calibre in the world". If I was a swimmer, what would draw me to this aquatic centre over other places?

There are some really nice ones around the world these days:
https://www.redbull.com/au-en/coolest-s ... the-world
https://traveltriangle.com/blog/indoor- ... he-world/

I don't want to bring my friends from interstate to a "misty due to the warm urine" style indoor city pool that the aquatic centre is known to be. If it's not world class, then why not just call it what it is: a high quality renovated community pool? There's nothing wrong with calling it that if thats the function. Why disappoint people with this over-the-top branding?
Because this state government (like many tbf) are obsessed with hyperbole. The Premier constantly talks everything up - even the most basic policies and projects. It’s a symptom of his underlying hollowness.

Nathan

#14 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:25 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:21 pm
Nathan wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:11 pm
Likewise - the changing room set up is awful particularly if, like me, you need to kids of the opposite sex into your changing rooms. A single family cubicle (or private space of any kind) really isn't enough for such a large and busy centre. I know there are the couple of accessible changing and toilet spaces at the other end of the foyer but they're always occupied and I feel bad taking up an accessible space when all I need is one where there isn't a group of 80 year old men proudly standing around with their todgers out.

I'm not sure if it's still there but I a few months ago I saw a sign near the men's changing room saying something along the lines of 'an additional family changing space is located at the rear of the pool area'. I've had a good look around for it but have never been able to see anything.

Any ideas?
There are two accessible/family change rooms right at the very end of the centre near where the creche is. We used to use them when my son was younger, but learnt to not try and go there as soon as his lesson finished as there would be a (very slow moving) line. Best to have a bit more of a swim in the leisure pool and then go 5–10mins before the next round of lessons finish.

Llessur2002

#15 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:51 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:25 pm
There are two accessible/family change rooms right at the very end of the centre near where the creche is. We used to use them when my son was younger, but learnt to not try and go there as soon as his lesson finished as there would be a (very slow moving) line. Best to have a bit more of a swim in the leisure pool and then go 5–10mins before the next round of lessons finish.
I'll use my 2000th post to thank you for the tip!