News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2956 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:53 pm

AG wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:29 pm
This site, or group of sites fronting Currie, Gilbert and Peel Streets has just come on the market. Haven't seen a site this large in the centre of Adelaide since 60 King William Street (the former Southern Cross Arcade) changed hands.

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/for-s ... -504437872
Some nice street frontages among those buildings which I’d hope would be retained.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2957 Post by Will » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:16 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:53 pm
AG wrote:
This site, or group of sites fronting Currie, Gilbert and Peel Streets has just come on the market. Haven't seen a site this large in the centre of Adelaide since 60 King William Street (the former Southern Cross Arcade) changed hands.

Some nice street frontages among those buildings which I’d hope would be retained.
Unfortunately none of those buildings are heritage listed. Their demolition would reduce the amenity of these laneways and negatively impact the "vibe" we are trying to create here.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2958 Post by SRW » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:30 pm

Will wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:16 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
AG wrote:

Unfortunately none of those buildings are heritage listed. Their demolition would reduce the amenity of these laneways and negatively impact the "vibe" we are trying to create here.
Particularly Gilbert Place
Keep Adelaide Weird

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2959 Post by AG » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:47 pm

Will wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:16 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
AG wrote:

It definitely is a risk, no doubt about that. However, I think there are potential development options that will allow construction of a large office tower while still retaining some of the existing building elements. The engineering and design options exist in demolishing potentially the Currie Street frontage and the middle of the site, and then cantilevering the ends of an office tower over the existing building street frontages to Gilbert and Peel Streets. Or even just doing something not too dissimilar to RAA House on the other side of Currie Street where the perimeter buildings have mostly been retained.

There's this recent example from North Sydney: https://www.buildaustralia.com.au/proje ... -complete/

And this one from Melbourne: https://www.architectureanddesign.com.a ... oods-bagot

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2960 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:20 pm

I agree with everything said regarding the character these buildings bring to the surrounding laneways, without heritage listing or council/government intervention they will inevitably go with whatever is developed on this site. Developers rarely see it worth retaining heritage in Adelaide because the market here is not worth the added cost of the preservation. And the current government are f**king clueless to this stuff.

Nort

#2961 Post by Nort » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:51 pm

Amazing spot for a hotel and residential development, lower levels based around hotel tied into and building up the laneway activity.

Hopefully we don't see this becoming a big office/retail site (although the size definitely invites it) since it would really hurt the feel of that area.

Ho Really

#2962 Post by Ho Really » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:59 am

AG wrote:

You guys remember this?
$100m `sculpture' for our skyline
April 15, 2007 12:15pm
Article from: Sunday Mail (SA)

ADELAIDE'S skyline has never seen anything like it, a radical new design that could replace Santos House as South Australia's iconic building.
The designers believe the $100 million futuristic office tower proposed for Currie St would put Adelaide on the international architectural stage.

Towering 123m (31 storeys) and spanning 40m across, the all-glass building would be one of Adelaide's biggest office developments.

Planned for the heart of the CBD, between Peel St and Gilbert Pl, it would feature 31,000 sq m of premium office space for up to 3000 workers.

Workers would travel to their offices in glass elevators visible from the outside and be able to swim in a 25m lap pool and enjoy a workout in a gymnasium. There would be 180 parking spaces and a ground-floor public cafe.

The southern side facing on to Currie St would feature a striking cantilevered facade that architects say would define the building's identity.

The existing Arturo Taverna building at 20-22 Currie St would be demolished. But the building would not surpass the 137m Santos House as the state's tallest building because of airspace height restrictions.

The project, designed by South Australian architects Tectvs, has been lodged with Adelaide City Council's planning department and will be referred to the Civil Aviation Authority for comment.

Public consultation is expected to start by the end of the month.

The proposal could be before the council's development assessment panel as early as July for approval.

Tectvs director Tony Giannone said his company and the property owner did not want another "stereotyped box" for the city.

"We wanted something a bit more sculptural, something that is of an international standard, a building that you can identify with the city more than what's been happening around town at the moment," said Mr Giannone, whose firm designed Air Apartments on Greenhill Rd.

"It's probably fair to say that a lot of buildings happening at the moment are a bit bland and don't contribute something to the city skyline. This will give back some dynamism and because it is across from Santos, it will complement the skyline. The other thing is this is being done locally‚ it is SA designed, we have got a South Australian who owns the land, who is confident in the state."

The land is owned by Lilly Nominees Pty Ltd, whose sole director is Derek John Blacker, of Torrens Park.

Mr Giannone said construction would only start once a key tenant was confirmed for the building.

He anticipated construction would take between two and three years.

Confidence in Adelaide's office market was underlined last year with a record $500 million worth of development applications lodged with Adelaide City Council.

The latest major application, announced on Friday, is for two buildings in Pirie St totalling almost 30,000sq m of office space.
From here: viewtopic.php?t=794&start=75

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

[Shuz]

#2963 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:17 am

"Heart of Glass" is what I remember the former development proposal being nicknamed and it had a cantilever on the Currie Street side.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

abc
Legendary Member!

#2964 Post by abc » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:59 pm

I'm old enough to remember the skyscraper they were going to build on North Tce on the site of the old DJs building. It had some big star shaped structure at the top of it.

One of the typical Advertiser hyped up never going to be builts that got South Australians into a frenzy at the time prior to the internet where that's a daily occurrence

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#2965 Post by Mpol02 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:06 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:17 am
"Heart of Glass" is what I remember the former development proposal being nicknamed and it had a cantilever on the Currie Street side.
That was when I joined these boards and took an interest. Shame it never got up

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2966 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:49 pm

abc wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:59 pm
I'm old enough to remember the skyscraper they were going to build on North Tce on the site of the old DJs building. It had some big star shaped structure at the top of it.

One of the typical Advertiser hyped up never going to be builts that got South Australians into a frenzy at the time prior to the internet where that's a daily occurrence
That was for the old John Martin's site (the current DJ's site)

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#2967 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:00 pm

flat04
Gold-Member ;)

#2968 Post by flat04 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:46 pm

It's in this Grote St thread. viewtopic.php?t=7275&start=30
I think that's the article you're after.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2969 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:02 pm

Former Linsell Lodge is being demolished. I thought only the two cottages were going because of the fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#2970 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:38 pm

timtam20292 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:02 pm

Former Linsell Lodge is being demolished. I thought only the two cottages were going because of the fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does anyone know the plan for this site?