News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#1721 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I must protest to any such plans for this site that don't retain the Rhino Room as a live music facility. It's one of the few decent place left in the east end and Adelaide as a whole, we should be trying to improve this aspect of Adelaide not further destroy it
Agree with this. It's a quirky venue, which brings something different to the city.

I hope the plans are more focused on the low rise building and carpark. It's a pretty big site!

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!

#1722 Post by Smithy85 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:42 pm

Anyone know what is going on with DAC? Meeting minutes/agenda haven't been updated since 26th March. Just a case of nothing being submitted? Not totally sure how it works. Cheers

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1723 Post by ghs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:57 pm

I am sure there are developments being submitted mate, looks like they're just not updating
their website :(.

[Shuz]

#1724 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:05 am

Typical incompetence from DPTI.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1725 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:49 am

Smithy85 wrote:Anyone know what is going on with DAC? Meeting minutes/agenda haven't been updated since 26th March. Just a case of nothing being submitted? Not totally sure how it works. Cheers
I emailed them 2 weeks ago because of this issue and still have not heard back. Very disappointing especially given their obligations to give the public notification.

ghs

#1726 Post by ghs » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:55 am

The DAC are not meeting in April because they are appointing a new commision. The next meeting is on
May 7. Disappointing that they didn't announce this on their website. According to the website
there's 2 meetings in April on the the 9th and 23rd.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1727 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:27 pm

Apparently the boundary of Government House will be moved ~10 metres for an Anzac centenary walk.

Plan is to link the Nth Terrace war memorial to the Torrens Parade Ground.

Anyone know more details?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nathan

#1728 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Wayno wrote:Apparently the boundary of Government House will be moved ~10 metres for an Anzac centenary walk.

Plan is to link the Nth Terrace war memorial to the Torrens Parade Ground.

Anyone know more details?
http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/04/23/a ... last-post/

It's pretty bland. Basically replacing the current rubbish footpath with a proper one, and not much more. The previous plan that had a cameo in the Riverbank Masterplan was much more ambitious (and wider).

Edit: Previous plan vs new plan

Llessur2002

#1729 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Wow - I like that 2009 plan. Not that the 2015 plan isn't an improvement - but I do like that 2009 plan...

metro
Legendary Member!

#1730 Post by metro » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:49 pm

The original plan from 2009 certainly looks much better and would make war memorial seem like a much more significant city landmark. But anything would be better than the tiny narrow footpath that we have at the moment. I think they should just block off the Northern End of Kintore Ave to road traffic or make it a 1 way street at least, and make a much wider path along Kintore to the Torrens Parade Ground and riverbank. Also, something needs to be done to keep drunken individuals from gathering behind the war memorial and harassing uni students, bus commuters, tourists etc as they wander through the area :roll:

Patrick_27

#1731 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Dare I say it, this ANZAC walk idea is just an excuse with nimby voters to widen a severely narrow pedestrian strip - the governments way of getting around the cost and removal of government house land. Whilst I wouldn't say it looks bad, the original 2009 plan looks far more appropriate. Though, I do like the open fence concept for government house, but does that pose a security issue with the site?

Perhaps the overall better plan is to close that end of Kintore Avenue?

Either way, I much prefer the 2009 proposal.

Patrick_27

#1732 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:29 pm

I couldn't find a thread for this development, though I do remember it having renders. So I'll post this here.

Little Miss Miami closes permanently next month and Crab Shack will close temporarily but re-open in November for it's last Summer of trading. With the Frome/Grenfell Street site to be demolished in May next year to make way for the apartments proposed for the site.

Can't help but feel that there is a missed opportunity with this site - with the car-park next door for sale, this could have been a perfect opportunity for a mixed used development across both sites - offices on the corner site and apartments on the car-park site. Would ensure that the Crown and Anchor doesn't face opposition due to any noise coming from their building.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1733 Post by Will » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I couldn't find a thread for this development, though I do remember it having renders. So I'll post this here.

Little Miss Miami closes permanently next month and Crab Shack will close temporarily but re-open in November for it's last Summer of trading. With the Frome/Grenfell Street site to be demolished in May next year to make way for the apartments proposed for the site.

Can't help but feel that there is a missed opportunity with this site - with the car-park next door for sale, this could have been a perfect opportunity for a mixed used development across both sites - offices on the corner site and apartments on the car-park site. Would ensure that the Crown and Anchor doesn't face opposition due to any noise coming from their building.
This is the thread you are looking for:

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=7&t=4705

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#1734 Post by Maximus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:39 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Though, I do like the open fence concept for government house, but does that pose a security issue with the site?
According to Tim Horton, "You can walk up to Government House anywhere else in Australia":

http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/04/24/s ... on-horton/

I have no idea whether or not that's true, but it's an interesting article nonetheless.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

crowdoc
Gold-Member ;)

#1735 Post by crowdoc » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:26 pm

The 2015 photo does not look like 10m has been taken from Government house and added to the existing footpath. This is just someone's bad photo shop effort.