Which suburbs are safe?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
piggylai81
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Which suburbs are safe?

#1 Post by piggylai81 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:09 am

Hi all,

I'll be migrating to Australia, and will settling down in Adelaide.Could anyone suggest few suburbs which are close to the city (about 10-30 mins) by publis transport. I've heard that Elizabeth & Salisbury are not good. Why?

appreciate if anyone could enlighten me.thanks. :wink:

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#2 Post by Edgar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:13 am

No surburbs are safe, not even Adelaide city itself :wink: (well at least, not entirely). You can live in the city apartment and have your car window smashed even in secured carparks (happened to a friend of mine who used to live in one of the city apartments).

There are a few surburbs which are close to the city CBD, but by expanding your travel time range from 10-30minutes made a lot of difference my friend. If you say 10-20minutes, then it will make some sense.

And then moving on, is the time range referred to a specific hours of the day? You know during peak hours it can time a longer time to get to the city than off peak?

Well if you want to get to the city CBD in that time range during peak hours with public transport, any surburbs between the 5-10km radius from the CBD will do.

Of course, if you catch the train, it will be more reliable and perhaps faster (? I haven't catch a train before, but from my technical understanding, they should be faster) than the bus, because you might get caught in traffics which can cost you a lot of time.

I used to live 5kms away from the CBD, and it took me 20 minutes drive to get from my place to the CBD at 8am during peak hours, so it all depends.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Will » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:44 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:No surburbs are safe, not even Adelaide city itself :wink: (well at least, not entirely). You can live in the city apartment and have your car window smashed even in secured carparks (happened to a friend of mine who used to live in one of the city apartments).

You make it seem as though our city is under siege by criminals. What a load of rubbish! Although crime exists in Adelaide, if you compare it to the rest of the world, we are very safe.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:05 pm

It ain't that bad edgar.

For many years i've lived in and around the parks area... considered to be the worse of the worse areas not that long ago until redevelopment... and to tell you the truth, if that's the worse crime there is in adelaide then i haven't got too much worry about. Never had a break in (touchwood), never been assaulted, etc.

Generally adelaidians are a pretty laid back bunch. Where you moving from piggylai?

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Algernon » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Generally speaking if you watch ever 3 hours of television daily then NO SUBURBS ARE SAFE

Will409
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Will409 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:40 pm

I live in the Salisbury Council area and regularly go to Elizabeth throughout the week. I can say that while the area is not superb, it is better then what it was about 10-15 years ago. Elizabeth in the past 3 years has undergone something of a revival with the new shopping centre, libraries and other projects has improved the area. Lakeside at Andrew's Farm has also given the are a bit of a shot in the arm (ok, perhaps not the best analogy but you know what I mean :wink:)

The Salisbury area is at present in a similar though less noticeable period of growth and now has the trade mark of 'the living city' (even though I have a truly ironic photo proving otherwise :lol:). Mawson Lakes and the smaller Pine Lakes has seen the local area around Parafield Gardens (where I live) improve. Sadly, the stereotype given to the northern suburbs still remains and will take a lot of work to get rid of.

bva
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by bva » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:12 pm

personally i think adelaide is a very safe place, i cannot think of any real 'no go' areas or sink estates like in other large cities. i know the park's area and agree that that suburb has been transformed and should be even better if Arndale is redeveloped sensitively. For my money, Blair Athol, Kilburn and Clearview are worth looking into.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AG » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:48 pm

I wouldn't exactly be saying that Kilburn is safe considering how much serious crime goes on in that small area. The two words formed by the syllables of the suburb describe the sort of thing that goes on in the suburb pretty well.

On the flipside, Salisbury and Elizabeth are treated unfairly for the most part when it comes to safety, they are safer than most people think even though they could be better.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Howie » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:03 pm

I've happily walked through salisbury / elizabeth by myself. Not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Used to do the afternoon run to the shopping village on peachy belt every day... felt pretty safe there.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by bdm » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:51 am

Unsafest areas:

1) Adelaide City
2) Port Adelaide
3) Elizabeth West
4) Elizabeth
5) Noarlunga

Safest areas:

1) Adelaide Hills Ranges
2) Adelaide Hills North
3) Adelaide Hills Balhannah
4) South Marion
5) Happy Valley

Unsafest LGA's:

1) Adelaide City
2) Port Adelaide
3) Playford (Elizabeth)
4) West Torrens
5) Norwood Payneham St Peters

Safest LGA's:
1) Adelaide Hills
2) Burnside
3) Campbelltown
4) Tea Tree Gully
5) Mitcham

piggylai81
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by piggylai81 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for ya help.... :) yeah, I used to study & stay in Perth city 4 years ago. No suburbs are safe. My house got broke in once (while im in Perth). That is why, I wanna stay in a safer suburbs, when i move over to Adelaide. Had a bad experience with tat :shock:

Hi Howie,
Im moving from Malaysia.

piggylai81
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#12 Post by piggylai81 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:11 pm

by the way, bdm....wat's " Safest LGA's & Unsafest LGA's??

Will409
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Will409 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:19 pm

LGA = Local Government Area although we just call them local councils.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Howie » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:40 pm

piggylai81 wrote: Hi Howie,
Im moving from Malaysia.
Ah sweet.. which part?

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#15 Post by Redback20 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:49 pm

hi piggylai,
welcome to South Australia 8)
10-30 mins by public transport suggests to me you keep in mind somewhere on the metro train or tram networks. Check Adelaide metro site for maps/suburbs and station locations

Train times are actually often faster at peak times as many run express, eg. Hallett cove beach - CBD takes 25-30mins at peak rush hour but 40+ mins off peak as it stops every other suburb during the day. Dunno about other lines but i can vouch for the Noarlunga line 100% and its v well patronised. For just 25 bucks a week its almost stealing!

As regards safety, after living and travelling in europe for many years, adelaide is the safest place i've ever lived BY MILES! a 100% burglar proof suburb doesn't exist on the planet lets get real.

Australia has a much lower crime rate than most western nations, and its about feeling safe... for example check Rundle St or rundle mall on a friday night, or Gouger st, or hutt st, or o'connell st .... its just great, i can safely take my young kids for dinner or sit outside a cafe with a beer, glass of wine with my wife late into the night - compare that to say the UK or US where even many grown men wouldnt brave city streets after 6pm, let alone kids. i just think its a wonderful place, i hope you'll love this fair city as much as me and my family do! :)