South East & Limestone Coast | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

South East & Limestone Coast | Developments & News

#1 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:30 pm

Marina project focus of growth
By LAURA ANDERSON
13jan06

THE population of Cape Jaffa, in the state's South-East, is expected to grow by up to 2000 residents, with a $34 million marina proposal for the area approved yesterday.

About 400 housing blocks will be developed under the marina project, as well as extensive canals, apartment, motel and cabin accommodation, and other commercial development.

Premier Mike Rann said the Cape Jaffa region in the South-East was "one of many key South Australian destinations on the verge of being transformed".

"The $34 million major project is expected to significantly boost Cape Jaffa's population, creating more than 200 construction jobs and the ongoing employment of 215 people," he said.

Urban Development and Planning Minister Paul Holloway said provisional development authorisation for the project could increase Cape Jaffa's population from about 35 permanent residents to 1500 to 2000 residents.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:32 pm

From abc.net.au
Mixed feelings about marina plan

There are still mixed feelings among some of Cape Jaffa's 35 residents about the new marina development approved for South Australia's south-east yesterday.

The SA Government has granted approval for the marina, but Kingston District Council must rezone rural land for about 500 residential allotments.

It is expected up to 2,000 people could be attracted to Cape Jaffa over the next 15 years as a result of the residential and commercial project.

Cape Jaffa resident Kym Starling says it remains to be seen how much the development changes their lifestyle.

"I mean, we do like Cape Jaffa the way it is, it's peaceful and a good life for the kids but, yes, you can't stop progress, and I think it will be good for Kingston, so if it goes ahead as planned it should be a good thing I think."

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Al » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:58 pm

Would be nice to see a chain of nice size towns from Adelaide to Melbourne. Say, Victor, Cape Jaffa, and Mt Gambier. It should promote traffic in both directions if people can enjoy a nice stop over.

shibby
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4 Post by shibby » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:38 pm

2000 people? *whistles* we should encourage more growth along the highway towns, as evry town in victoria long the highway is big and has some sort of attraction to stop-over for. would be nice if Sa did the same.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by rhino » Wed May 31, 2006 2:27 pm

I heard there was a proposal for a deepwater woodchip port at Cape Jaffa that got turned down because the local communities didn't want it. Yeah, who needs infrastructure and employment anyway? :roll:
What are these 2000 new residents going to do for work when they move down there?
cheers,
Rhino

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:36 pm

rhino wrote:I heard there was a proposal for a deepwater woodchip port at Cape Jaffa that got turned down because the local communities didn't want it. Yeah, who needs infrastructure and employment anyway? :roll:
What are these 2000 new residents going to do for work when they move down there?
I imagine the majority of the new residents will be retired folk.

skyliner

Lower South East Pulp Mill

#7 Post by skyliner » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:07 pm

JRJ from Brisbane

A $650m pulp mill 8 Km south of Penola is to be built near the old SE broad gauge railway line. On research of this i found that the mill wants the railway re-opened - as standard gauge - from Penola, through Mt Gambier to Portland in Vic. There is talk also of re -opening north as well.
This is connected to freight needs coming up from the bluegum forests down there. (I gather about 30000 hectares).

Came across this from 12/9/06 -
'Timber community Rejoices With Penola Pulp Mill Approval'.

'Communities such as Penola, Nangwarry and Mt Gambier will see increased employment, increased population, as families relocate to the region for work and all this will boostschool numbers, boost business income and generally boost the region's economy', Mrs Gentle said.

'The Victorian and South Australian state labor governments have shown their support for a viable plantation sector through their approval of the heywood and Penola Pulp Mills which will invest $1.3 billion into the green triangle ....said Mrs. Gentle.

For info - contact Kersten Gentle, S.A. State manager, Timber communities Aust. 0418 331 465. Email - [email protected]

Great news for a unique place. Mt Gambier - now standing at about 24000 by ABS estimates for the current time stands to make considerable gain.

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by Captain Howdy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:06 pm

That's great for the SE corner. I hope Mt Gambier starts to really thrive.

skyliner

#9 Post by skyliner » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:50 pm

JRJ from QLD again,

Further info on the pulp mill. Found this today in a magazine quarterly peiodical called 'TRACK and SIGNAL' for Oct, Nov, Dec. 2006

The pulp mill builder is PROTAVIA Pty. Ltd. The volume of freight traffic generated by the mill has resulted in the collusion of Glenelg Shire Council, the SA gov.t, the Vic. gov't and Protavia for the purpose of obtaining funds from the Federal Gov't Auslink scheme to re - open the S.E.railway systen from Penola, to Mt Gambier to Heywood in Vic.

MG Council is noteably missing from the above group, having just obtained the OLD railway yard land in the city from the SA Gov't. Now Protavia wants the trains back - at 10 trains a day going through Mt Gambier (MG council notes) - VERY big traffic for the bush. It should be noted that the MG council got the land with the proviso of leaving 10 metres clearway for possible rail usage in the furture. The present new yards and loco depot in MG still remain government land.

Though the re - opening of the SE railway has been mooted before (unsuccessfully) I suspect this will be different. Let's hope so!! :D

rhino

#10 Post by rhino » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:06 pm

I was at Cape Jaffa over easter and had a look at this development, from an investment point of view. Personally I think it's way overpriced - it's not selling very quickly. Some other prospective buyers were there, looking at the displays and asking questions, one of which was "Where does Lacepede Bay get it's name from?" (Cape Jaffa is the southern extremity of Lacepede Bay). The agent had no idea, and was in the process of making something up when I couldn't stand it any longer and told him. The agent said "Oh ... a ship ..."

Anyway, the bulldozers are there digging the marina. I would rather have seen dredges dreging out a channel for a new woodchip port (which could also be the closest grain export port for all the silos from Keith south, including some of western Victoria) but no... :(
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

Penola Pulp Mill

#11 Post by rhino » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:50 am

Seems the plans for the pulp mill at Heywood in Victoria have been scrapped and the Penola Mill is going to expand. Great news for the South East, now if only we can get the rail re-instated to cart the chips to the port!

From Saturday's Advertiser:

SA wins Penola pulp mill expansion
April 21, 2007 02:15am

PENOLA'S pulp mill will be expanded after developer Protavia this week confirmed it had scrapped plans for its competing Victorian mill.

Protavia spokesperson Jason Chappel confirmed the company's decision at a meeting of the community reference group in Victoria this week, member Joy Benbow said.
The Heywood mill had been scrapped for "economic reasons", she said.

The company did not return calls from The Advertiser.

A South Australian Government spokesman said the Government was "quietly proceeding with the things we need to do to get it up and running" including preparing legislation to allow the company to increase the size of its existing mill. The construction is expected to bring up to $1.5 billion into the state.

The Victorian Government said the company had reassured them the Heywood mill would go ahead, but opposition regional development spokesman Denis Napthine confirmed the Victorian mill had been scrapped.
cheers,
Rhino

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Will » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:15 am

This sounds almost as large as the Gunns Pulp Mill which is causing so much controversy in Tasmania.

Good news for the South-East.

rhino

#13 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:49 am

Yeah, the difference is that Gunns are chipping old growth forest, the Penola mill will be chipping plantation hardwood.
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#14 Post by skyliner » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:03 pm

FROM THE ABC NEWS (Approx.20/4/07)

Next update on the pulp mill -
'Pulp mill developer Protavia had proposed mills near the Vistorian town of Heywood and at Penola'.

"The Heywood Pulp mill community Reference Group says it has been told Protavia wll now only look to build at Penola.....The reason for it is that the two mills were well over budget once the final engineering was in and that came in 4 or 5 weeks ago'.

Information from other sources state that the new proposed mill near Penola will be valued at $1.2billion and necessitate the railway to be re- opened. This is because costs comparing road and railway reveal rail at half that of roads to operate.This will probably amount to 20 freight trains a day through Mt. Gambier and many more permanent jobs than before. (Stated at about 300 for the mill at $650 million in size).

A fantastic boon for the SE - especially Mt.Gambier and Penola. This scale of operation is outstanding for any regional area. Looking forward to seeing it all eventuate. Spinoffs will go on and on.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by crawf » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:44 am

Great news!

Hopefully this starts a population boom in the South East, SA needs more good sized towns

I would love to see Mt Gambier crack the 50k mark.