Port Pirie | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Port Pirie

#31 Post by AtD » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:06 am

Unless you want to waste taxpayer money designing the same building dozens of times.

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by Punishment466 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:30 pm

Forgot to mention the new building which will house The Reject Shop has been completed. Just waiting for the store to move in.

Pretty big site for a reject shop.

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by Punishment466 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:06 pm

Local department store 'Prests' is closing down on September 28th. It's been around for 127 years. The building, which is quite large and has 2 levels is rumoured to be the new site for Harvey Norman. I'll get some pictures of the building later tonight.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#34 Post by Cruise » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:48 am

Punishment466 wrote:Local department store 'Prests' is closing down on September 28th. It's been around for 127 years. The building, which is quite large and has 2 levels is rumoured to be the new site for Harvey Norman. I'll get some pictures of the building later tonight.
Im actually very sad to see prests go, i always thought of the store as really classy. Higher than myer even. this is worse then when john martins closed its doors.

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by Punishment466 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:13 pm

Here's a photo of Prests from the main street; just got a new paint job as well.

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by Punishment466 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:11 pm

Some photos of some other buildings under construction;

New French Hot Bread shop building nearly fully constructed;

The new building for The Reject Shop. You can see how it also extends into an area of the Prests store.

And the new mens shed under construction next to Target Country.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by rhino » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Any multi-story buildings going up?
cheers,
Rhino

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Punishment466 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:12 pm

The new catholic church offices are suppose to be a few levels.

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by Punishment466 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:36 pm

A Radio Rentals store is now coming to Pirie. It'll be housed in the old Prests building when they close down.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#40 Post by rhino » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:58 am

Punishment466 wrote:A Radio Rentals store is now coming to Pirie. It'll be housed in the old Prests building when they close down.
Not Harvey Norman then? I couldn't imagine them both sharing the same building, considering they're competing directly with each other! (I knowyou said it was rumoured that Harvey Norman would move in).
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:30 am

On a side note, Harvey Norman and most of the shops in the new Adelaide Hills Homemaker Centre in Mt Barker has now opened :)

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by Punishment466 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:11 pm

rhino wrote:
Punishment466 wrote:A Radio Rentals store is now coming to Pirie. It'll be housed in the old Prests building when they close down.
Not Harvey Norman then? I couldn't imagine them both sharing the same building, considering they're competing directly with each other! (I knowyou said it was rumoured that Harvey Norman would move in).
Yeah, the rumour was an electrical store was moving into the building, and it was just going around that it was Harvey Norman. Obviously, it's not. :P.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by Bulldozer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:09 pm

I called into Port Pirie last Sunday on my way up to the Flinders Ranges. Hadn't been in there for years, but it does look like it's starting to boom. The palms down the median strip of the main road look fantastic and make the place feel like an oasis in the middle of the wasteland that it occupies. A lot of the shops and that could do with a scrubdown/coat of paint and some more grass wouldn't go astray, but considering the current state of affairs with regards to water I think it's a rather nice looking town.

My dad knew the guy that owned a garden centre (perhaps the only one) there ten or so years ago and he said that the guy had been trying for years to sell the business and his house but couldn't get any takers for a number of years. I scoped out the windows of the real estate agent while munching on a pasty and was very surprised to see houses going for near-Adelaide prices, which is surely a great sign!

It's great to hear that regional areas are growing again after years of decline. Here's hoping that the trend continues and I look forward to seeing what the place looks like next time I drop by.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#44 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:41 pm

Bulldozer wrote:I called into Port Pirie last Sunday on my way up to the Flinders Ranges. Hadn't been in there for years, but it does look like it's starting to boom. The palms down the median strip of the main road look fantastic and make the place feel like an oasis in the middle of the wasteland that it occupies. A lot of the shops and that could do with a scrubdown/coat of paint and some more grass wouldn't go astray, but considering the current state of affairs with regards to water I think it's a rather nice looking town.

My dad knew the guy that owned a garden centre (perhaps the only one) there ten or so years ago and he said that the guy had been trying for years to sell the business and his house but couldn't get any takers for a number of years. I scoped out the windows of the real estate agent while munching on a pasty and was very surprised to see houses going for near-Adelaide prices, which is surely a great sign!

It's great to hear that regional areas are growing again after years of decline. Here's hoping that the trend continues and I look forward to seeing what the place looks like next time I drop by.
The next Dubai maybe? :D

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by Punishment466 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:24 pm

A photo of the Main Rd today. The businesses on the side of the road may as well close up for the time being. They wont be getting any business with no parks out the front.