#VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

#16 Post by omada » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:44 am

I think the proposal has merit, but I am concerned that the libs proposal to upgrade the existing RAH will be a patch up job, and still leave South Australia's premier public hospital in a substandard state. I am in two minds about this, I would love to see an upgraded Riverside precinct, but I feel that a good hospital is more important at this stage..

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#17 Post by waz94 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:07 am

WOW, WOW and WOW.
Whilst the details are sure to change over the next few years, this is exactly what the CBD west end and more importantly Adelaide needs. This parcel of land is extremely rare nowadays and too precious to waste on a development (i.e new hospital) that will only be utilised by a minority. Sure we need a better hospitals but either redevelop them where they are or build in a more suitable area. This area needs life to be brought into it and not to be used by sick or recovering people (very Adelaide to build a structure in a potentially lively location to be only used by people who cant actualy use it). This area needs people to be participating in it, not looking at it from a hospital room window.
I fear that people will still vote for labour as change for Adelaide residents is a scary thought. Unfortunately if the Libs dont get in, this idea will be shelved (like many other great Adelaide visions) and we will be stuck with a hospital forever.
People's objection to the new RAH being built is not about what is being built, but where!!! Please dont waste this land cause it will be lost forever. This is Adelaise one chance to take a risk and put itself on the map. New hospitals dont attract people to the state, but rather a reason to enjoy life. This complex is not just for sports fans as it has a bit for everyone (e.g. entertainment centre and wetlands board walks).
I have never voted Liberal before, but this is the first future vision for Adelaide i have ever seen. Lets not whinge about costings in current climate cause this is a 10 year plan and the global finacial crisis will be a thing of the past by then.
Whether or not this does vision does eventuate at least its a plan for the future of Adelaide. Will be interesting to see what Labour comes up with in next few months!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:25 am

So will there be at train station at the Stadium, or will people have to walk all the way up to Adelaide Railway Station?

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#19 Post by Strangled Cat » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:34 am

This is exactly what Adelaide needs! We don't just need the proposed facilities like the stadium, but we need them in THIS location. You can scream 'til the cows come home about how we need a hospital, I agree that ideally an all new hospital would be better than building on the current site, but it'd also want to at the price being proposed. The thing that we shouldn't lose focus of is where the hospital is being proposed. I can't stress enough that building the hospital on the railyards is an absolute waste of prime real estate that WILL be lost forever.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:04 am

Norman wrote:So will there be at train station at the Stadium, or will people have to walk all the way up to Adelaide Railway Station?
New station next to the Stadium, and possible relocation of Keswick Station which is currently an embarrassment to our state.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:21 am

Howie wrote:
Norman wrote:So will there be at train station at the Stadium, or will people have to walk all the way up to Adelaide Railway Station?
New station next to the Stadium, and possible relocation of Keswick Station which is currently an embarrassment to our state.
Ah ok. Thanks.

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Plasmatron » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:39 am

Two words:

Do it.

Eight years, though? I wouldn't have thought it would take almost a whole decade to complete this, once Marty becomes premier... because let's face it, he just has to get in now. I don't know anyone who wants a hospital on this site. Imagine a hospital right alongside the Yarra River in Melbourne (instead of Federation Sqaure)? 'nuff said.
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:54 am

Policy Document
http://martin2010.com.au/pdf/20090403%2 ... 20west.pdf

And another render from the doco.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by fishinajar » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:29 am

Prediction:

If Labour get in; they will build the new hospital on the current railyards site. The current hospital site will be handed over in various pieces to the botanical gardens, universities (probably largely for student accomodation) and other public/ish uses. Money will continue to be spent on public trasport system upgrades and repairs.

If Liberal get in; they will do a bodge up job on the current hospital. Work on the new masive awesome entertainment/sports/science&technology precict will be delayed due to the economic crises ("left by the labor government" I'm sure). Work on the new masive awesome entertainment/sports/science&technology precict will be delayed indefinetly. Upgrades and repair of the PT system will be cut back and not expanded on into the future.
Or worse still-billions of dollars spent on building sports facilities that currently exist.
Where will this money come from? Do Liberal have any figures at all? Selling current facilities to be knocked down for land value will by no means begin to fund their proposal. This is no more than a fantasy concocted up for publicity which I believe will leave the Liberals red-faced in the near future.

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

#25 Post by BenJ » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:54 am

The idea of funding this with PPPs in the current economic climate seems a little fanciful at the moment and I don't like the timeline involved. They've stated that no work on this would really begin until at least 3 years into the Liberal's first term in government. A lot can happen in that time. Really I just don't trust MHS or the Liberals to follow through with this proposal. I'd have to see a lot of detailed funding arrangements and the like before I even considered voting for them. As much as I love the proposal it sounds a little like Liberal desperation to me. Give them games and gladiators and they'll vote for anything...

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by joshzxzx » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm

I wonder if this development was the one that Denny Crane was talking about from the "Spire" Thread...

MMMMM ineteresting
South Australia the Festival State

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#27 Post by Strangled Cat » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:56 pm

joshzxzx wrote:I wonder if this development was the one that Denny Crane was talking about from the "Spire" Thread...

MMMMM ineteresting
This development absolutely would be what he was reffering to. This proposal as an alternative to the hospital WILL be at the forefront of the next state election.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Yes this is what D.C. was referring to. It's not just DC, every developer in town has known about this for quite sometime. Actually they were the ones who pitched it first to Labor (who wouldn't listen) then to the Libs (who have). This was well before the mini-marj-come-rah hospital plan was concocted. There'll be at least two syndicates who would want to develop this site (maybe a third if they come to SA).. so if the plan does become 'real' then the likelihood of it being built should be quite high.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:39 pm

I personally would still pefer a new stadium at either Mile End or across the road from the Adelaide Oval. With the latter, I would like to see a fully revamped Adelaide Oval, the new sports stadium and an upgraded tennis complex to make a full sporting precinct just across the Torrens.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#30 Post by ricecrackers » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:51 pm

it'd be nice but i think this unhealthy obsession the Advertiser and the Liberals have with this city stadium debate is undermining the discussion of more important issues

it really says a lot about the electorate that this seems to make front page news on an almost weekly basis
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey