SHOULD ADELAIDE HAVE ANOTHER OBAHN

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.

Does Adelaide need another O-Bahn??? And would you Support it??

Yes, it does need another obahn
6%
Yes, I would Support it
6%
Yes, for both
18%
No, it does not need another obahn
29%
no, i would not support it
6%
No for both
35%

Total votes: 17

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#31 Post by Aidan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:10 am

Ho Really wrote:
Aidan wrote:[...]

As for the Tonsley line, the best thing to do would be to extend it alongside the Southern Expressway (similar to what they did in Perth) to Reynella, than alongside the Reynella Bypass section of South Road (crossing South Road and the Field River at the same point) and taking over the route of the Willunga Line to Hackham and possibly Seaford.
Would be nice, but I think the gradient along the initial part of the Southern Expressway will be a problem. Also not sure whether the land opposite the Tonsley station on the other side of Sturt Road has been built upon. There may be no corridor there.
It hadn't been built over last time I looked, and the Google map littledyl16 posted suggests it's carparks rather than buildings which would be encroached upon.

Railways are better at climbing hills than many people imagine, and the gradient of the Southern Expressway is unlikely to be a technical problem even for the trains we use at the moment, though I am invisaging electrification.
A rail line to Seaford could easily be put in place. Lengthen the Noarlunga line over the Onkaparinga.
I am aware of that, but the old Willunga line corridor to Seaford is still there, and having two railways joining at Seaford would strengthen the case for further extending the line to Aldinga.

That reminds me: once I was at Sellicks Beach, and I had the thought that an O-bahn to the N end of the Esplanade would look good. Of course it will never happen - the transport case is weak, and the housing development since then means that there would be much opposition even if it wasn't - but its probably more sensible than the O-bahn plans our state MPs were dreaming up in the early 90s :roll:

Aidan

#32 Post by Aidan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:04 am

[quote="Tom"][quote="bdm"]The only line to be replaced under a plan was the short Tonsley branch line. The O-Bahn was to parallel the Noarlunga line from the Tonsley branch to the city center.[/quote]

Well i can tell you that is NOT possible past Goodwood Railway Station into the City.

Dont always rely on the Hansard for information they freqently get things wrong.[/quote]

I seem to recall the buses would have only used the railway corridor from Emerson to Tonsley. Even so, there are some parts of Edwardstown where the corridor isn't wide enough for both a railway and an O-bahn. That doesn't make it impossible, as the corridor can be widened, but it does make it more expensive.

Ho Really

#33 Post by Ho Really » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:05 pm

Aidan wrote:It hadn't been built over last time I looked, and the Google map littledyl16 posted suggests it's carparks rather than buildings which would be encroached upon.
I think an overhead photo would be better, but I'll accept one taken from the Southern Expressway-Marion Road overpass looking straight at Tonsley Station. That should give us an indication whether there are any obstacles or not.
Railways are better at climbing hills than many people imagine, and the gradient of the Southern Expressway is unlikely to be a technical problem even for the trains we use at the moment, though I am invisaging electrification.
If the gradient is not a problem, will there be enough room for a dual railway line along the Expressway or must major earthworks be undertaken? When the time comes for the Expressway to get its extra carriageways maybe they should also think about adding room for the rail lines.
...the old Willunga line corridor to Seaford is still there, and having two railways joining at Seaford would strengthen the case for further extending the line to Aldinga.
Why not? It sounds nice. I would also like to see the Willunga line rebuilt. It could be a tourist thing like the Barossa Wine Train.

Cheers

Aidan

#34 Post by Aidan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:17 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Aidan wrote:It hadn't been built over last time I looked, and the Google map littledyl16 posted suggests it's carparks rather than buildings which would be encroached upon.
I think an overhead photo would be better, but I'll accept one taken from the Southern Expressway-Marion Road overpass looking straight at Tonsley Station. That should give us an indication whether there are any obstacles or not.
Of course there are obstacles! Crossing Laffers Triangle in a straight line would certainly run into buildings, and were the buildings not there it would also be unacceptable on environmental grounds and Kaurna cultural grounds!

We can go round the obstacles! In fact doing so would improve connectivity, as it would enable a station to be located closer to Flinders, making it easier for people to get there by train.

The aerial photo is here
If the gradient is not a problem, will there be enough room for a dual railway line along the Expressway or must major earthworks be undertaken? When the time comes for the Expressway to get its extra carriageways maybe they should also think about adding room for the rail lines.
Of course major earthworks would be required and it should be combined with dualling. I thought that went without saying!
...the old Willunga line corridor to Seaford is still there, and having two railways joining at Seaford would strengthen the case for further extending the line to Aldinga.
Why not? It sounds nice. I would also like to see the Willunga line rebuilt. It could be a tourist thing like the Barossa Wine Train.

Cheers
Rebuilding the Mount Barker to Strathalbyn section of the Victor Harbour line should be the priority!