Womadelaide

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Womadelaide

#16 Post by rev » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Womadelaide

#17 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks Rev. Much of that grass damage is because of a tent being in place for multiple weeks, and plastic flooring atop the grass. Not so much a foot traffic issue although that's part of the equation.

Interestingly i watched much of the Melb F1 tv coverage and they've done a good job of having custom paths (desire lines) in place so people don't trample the grass.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:26 pm

I was at the F1 over the weekend and there were similar issues regarding grass to those seen here in Adelaide at the Clipsal/Womad/RCC. Many of the thoroughfares were okay with the small crowds on Thursday, but come the larger crowds on Saturday and Sunday, the grass began to suffer. The large amount of rain on Friday would certainly have been a contributing factor, although it definitely seems as if this is not an issue unique to Adelaide.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#19 Post by rev » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:40 am

Interestingly with the thousands of people who were at the Adelaide Cup, the grass seems to cope just fine mostly.
I don't know whose been, but it's like walking on a really soft surface, compared to walking on the grass in Victoria Square which in comparison feels like walking on concrete.
Not that I'd replace the grass in (north)Victoria Square(when it's totally green) with the grass from Morphetville.

Going back to when I was a kid, attending various Greek festivals at Ellis Park, Thebarton Oval, and Bonython park, I never remember the grass turning to mud like in the picture I posted above. Even at Colley Reserve in the middle of Summer/early January for the blessing of the waters ceremony(although that was a one day thing).
And in more recent times at Semaphore for the Greek festival..seems to hold up alright over two full days/nights jam packed with people.

Another example is the Hill at Adelaide Oval during test matches and repeated use during the summer. Holds up. And during the winter footy these past two years it's held up.
Oval 2 at the back holds up as well and that has marquees and what not setup there for weeks at a time over summer.

I'm sure others can also give other examples of grassed areas holding up after thousands of people have trampled on it over the course of a weekend at least.

Type of grass and/or as Wayno says, maintenance or lack of?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:20 pm

Victoria Square is getting a full returf anyway.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-22/m ... section=sa

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:29 pm

Banners for the 25th WOMADelaide are now up outside of Botanic Park.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/