Velo Adelaide 500

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Bacon
High Rise Poster!

Re: Clipsal 500

#31 Post by Bacon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:01 pm

Clipsal 500: RAAF Roulettes, Hornets low-flying air stunts over Adelaide 'dangerous'
By Daniel Keane

Updated about 7 hours ago

Low-flying, fast-moving planes performing stunts over the city as part of the V8 Supercar event are dangerous and should be stopped, Adelaide's Parklands Preservation Association has warned.

Pre-race entertainment during the four-day event - which ended yesterday - included flyovers by four RAAF Roulettes in formation, and F/A-18 Hornets.

The race's website said the Roulettes reached speeds of "up to 590 kilometres per hour" during their aerobatics, and said the Hornets created "bone-shaking thunder".

But association president Ian Gilfillan said the aerobatics displays should not have occurred over homes.

"This is a very high-risk form of entertainment and let's hope that the calculations and estimations of height and speed and the maintenance of planes is such that we never have an accident but who can guarantee it?

"All air shows have proved from time to time to have accidents and one would rather that, if there were to be this totally unhappy episode, it would take place where there weren't likely to be collateral numbers of ordinary people killed or injured," he said.

Mr Gilfillan said the entire race was "in the wrong location" and should be held outside Adelaide, at Tailem Bend or Mallala.

But Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said he did not think there was a safety issue with the flyovers.

"We've been doing it since 1985 with the Grand Prix and the Clipsal 500 race and we'll keep on doing it," he said.

"You know, if people are going to whinge, they're going to whinge but really?

"It goes over about five minutes each day and brings great entertainment for a couple of hundred thousand people who are inside the thing. I think we can live with it."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-07/l ... us/7225206

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#32 Post by rev » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:04 pm

I had to check if it was April 1st for a moment(this years flying..)..but sadly it's not, and this is for real...

The Parklands Preservation losers now want the fly overs for Clipsal banned.

Pretty soon we are going to have the Amateur Parklands Airspace Aviation Authority Group of Dickheads.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:49 pm

rev wrote:Hi there, welcome to Summer in Adelaide.
Just one of several contributing factors.

SA94 quite rightly called out tree cover as another factor, but regardless a MAJOR factor is the highly compacted soil. The grass can only get a toehold and rain, as we experienced Sunday, can't penetrate the surface.

Anyone in this forum who has a lawn at home knows the importance of coring, fertilising, and wetting agents. I live in the city and often frequent the parklands. I've NEVER seen the ACC do any of the above outside of the sports fields.

Why? laziness? stupidity? lack of focus? lack of vision? Lack of ability? Lack of budget? Sort it out...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rev

#34 Post by rev » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:19 am

Why? Three letters... ACC

But yes I know more than watering is required I just being a troll 8)

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#35 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:16 pm

2017's After-Race Concert Series Lineup so far:

Hunters & Collectors
Hilltop Hoods
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

The Scooter Guy

#36 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:36 pm

The 2017 Official Program is now available in stores.

Clipsal 500 Slogans:

1999 - Adelaide's Fired Up
2000 - Party Hard, Party Fast, Party Adelaide
2001 - V8 Party Adelaide
2002 - Take Yourself Beyond The Limits of Endurance
2003 - The Best Four Days Of Your Life
2004 - Miss it and you're history
2005 - Wouldn't Miss It For The World
2006 - Don't Miss the Greatest Motorsport Festival
2007 - Be there, the World's Greatest Motorsport Festival
2008 - Party to the power of 10
2009 - Bring It On
2010 - Are You Ready?
2011 - It's Action Packed
2012 - The Race That Rocks
2013 - The Future Starts Here
2014 - Get Race Ready
2015 - Live The Race
2016 - Live The Race
2017 - Unleash Adrenalin
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

The Scooter Guy

Re: Adelaide 500

#37 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Cold Chisel's concert was awesome, especially underneath the full moon enhancing the night!
Wasn't it great for me to be back here after TEN YEARS?

Llessur2002

Adelaide 500

#38 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:46 am

Adelaide 500 status as first race of the season could be lost

THE state’s flagship motorsport event will lose either its prized status as the Supercars opening race or its iconic timeslot in “Mad March” under a proposed shake-up of the series format.

The Adelaide 500 has forged an enviable reputation and attracted enormous crowds — and national and international television viewers — as the first round of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship.

But owners plan a change from 2020 to give teams a winter break from the gruelling schedule of 15 weekends of racing. Instead of the first round’s traditional March running, the 2020 first round would be held in January.

Supercars chief executive Sean Seamer said the planned “summer series” would take advantage of race fans’ preferences for warm weather and school holidays.

The move leaves the State Government with a decision to make as to whether it wants to move the event to January to stay as the series opener, or lose that mantle but retain a “Mad March” timeslot.

Mr Seamer said these options would be negotiated with various stakeholders.

Talks would also be held with The Bend owners over the future of the OTR SuperSprint held at that venue in August.

“We’re still working through those conversations with teams and, obviously, the proprietors of the tracks,” he said.

A South Australian Tourism Commission spokesman said they were aware of very early discussions around the series format change.

“We’ve had no formal communication on this, and if it was something that was to be looked at we would work with Supercars to get the best result for the state,” he said.

The format change is problematic for the Adelaide 500. A January running could affect ticket sales because of school holidays. It could also potentially clash with another of the state’s premier sporting events, the Tour Down Under, which runs through mid-January.

But to lose status as the first race of the season would also decrease attendance and the national and international interest that comes with hosting the opener.

It is Australia’s largest domestic motorsport event and is regularly voted as the best round on the Supercars calendar. A spokesman for The Bend said they were in talks with Supercars management about the changes.

“As you can imagine, our shared objective is to schedule the SuperSprint wherever we think we can get the best attendance possible,” he said.

Touring car racing in Australia has traditionally been run through a calendar year, with summer effectively the off-season.

The new model, which will not disrupt next year’s series, would have the championship effectively run in two parts either side of an extended winter break. A move away from racing during the winter months would help reduce clashes with AFL and NRL fixtures, and even the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... b363e0e5d6

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#39 Post by SRW » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:23 pm

I'm aware of the clash of cultures between motorists and cyclists, but tbh moving it to January would be best. The 500 sits apart from the festival season anyway, so moving it would spread events out and potentially open up the use of its infrastructure (grandstands) for Tour Down Under stages.
Keep Adelaide Weird

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by OlympusAnt » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Put it back where it belongs, in November.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

claybro

#41 Post by claybro » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Wouldn't the heat be an issue in January? I'm surprised the national body are considering motorsport in the height of summer. 35 deg. days in March are one thing, but low 40's in January, under the most intense sun and uv? Then the drivers will be requiring the race be run in the evening...then the howles of protest from the usual suspects will start. Its a stupid move all round.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by crawf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:45 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:08 pm
Wouldn't the heat be an issue in January? I'm surprised the national body are considering motorsport in the height of summer. 35 deg. days in March are one thing, but low 40's in January, under the most intense sun and uv? Then the drivers will be requiring the race be run in the evening...then the howles of protest from the usual suspects will start. Its a stupid move all round.
Some years Feb/March is hotter than January.

I've always thought it's ridiculous to have the Adelaide 500 clash with the Fringe and Adelaide Festival, so I think the idea has merit.

Time to spread these events out.

SBD

#43 Post by SBD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:55 pm

crawf wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:45 pm
claybro wrote:

I've always thought it's ridiculous to have the Adelaide 500 clash with the Fringe and Adelaide Festival, so I think the idea has merit.

I can't tell if the proposal is a "Summer Series" that is distinct from the normal season championship, or if it is to have a single championship with a long winter break. Either way, Adelaide might get some extra publicity from being the last race before the break - it's either the decider for the Summer Series, or it's the most recent race that keeps getting talked about all through the winter until the racing restarts in Spring. That might move it a bit later, after the Festival, Fringe etc.

rev

#44 Post by rev » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:15 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:55 pm
crawf wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:45 pm
claybro wrote:

I can't tell if the proposal is a "Summer Series" that is distinct from the normal season championship, or if it is to have a single championship with a long winter break. Either way, Adelaide might get some extra publicity from being the last race before the break - it's either the decider for the Summer Series, or it's the most recent race that keeps getting talked about all through the winter until the racing restarts in Spring. That might move it a bit later, after the Festival, Fringe etc.
They want to have a break in the winter, therefore they want to start the season earlier. The start of the season will be the 'summer series' and the second half will be the 'winter series'. Same thing, just two halves for "marketing".
IMO the government/SATC should get right on to this and do it in January. Spreading out the events/festivals is long over due instead of trying to cram in as much as possible in February and March.

rev

#45 Post by rev » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:59 am

It’s now the Superloop Adelaide 500
FF20E4FA-5006-4F42-A089-18A496E5F3CC.jpeg
FF20E4FA-5006-4F42-A089-18A496E5F3CC.jpeg (58.76 KiB) Viewed 7004 times
Superloop is an internet service provider that’s expanding nationally.
The budget has been slashed by $3 million dollars by the state government so I wouldn’t expect to hear of any big international names for the concert line up.

There’s also a suggestion the race could be moved to the end of the year to close out the season for the summer.