New portal launched - #bug reports here

Anything to do with the running of the website. (e.g. Suggestions, bugs, etc)
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

New portal launched - #bug reports here

#1 Post by Howie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:52 pm

Dear S-A members,

The internet is an ever changing landscape. Not everyone surfs the internet from a home pc these days, and more and more people are going mobile. Front pages are more than simple blogs for textual information, but also a platform to distribute multimedia. At Sensational-Adelaide we're trying to keep up with the times, and this is the result of many months of planning and work.

What you see here is a beta version of our new site, and we're still working on ways in which we can improve how articles are collected and published and then subsequently distributed. Not all features are enabled yet, as we are still babying the new setup.

Have a browse around, and let us know if you encounter any problems or any feedback you could give us to make S-A better.

Kind regards,

Howie

Code: Select all

List of Issues/Modifications still to be done.

- Remote wrapper from Building Database page until layout there can be updated (Priority High)
- Reinstate Latest Forum Thread Module (Priority Low)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: New portal launched - #bug reports here

#2 Post by Will » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:50 pm

I can't open the website with IE anymore.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Bloody IE. Sorry about that IE is breaking google scripts. I've switched off Google Adsense on the front page until we resolve that part of it.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by joshzxzx » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:13 pm

Website looks good..

But how do you find the recent posted topic's. The section on the top left hand corner on the old website.. It had about 5 listing on the newest entries into the forums...

Howie can you add this somewhere else?
South Australia the Festival State

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by stelaras » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:29 pm

Howie et al

The website looks awesome. I love the front page design and the fluidity of the design. It is very professional (not that the old site wasn't)

One thing that iam missing is the window in the upper left hand of the old website which told us all what threads where updated. For someone like me who isnt on the site all the time i relied on this ticker to orient me to what was newly updated.

Ide love if there was a link back there. Maybe there is a reason for it, and if so i am sure it is well warranted, but for me it was the best way to keep up to date with all the info and all the opinions...

Keep up the good work!

Steve

*Edit*
I think i just found it......its on the right hand side..lol lol sorry me bad

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks guys. We'll be reintroducing the latest forum threads module in the coming days/weeks.. i'm leaving the portal as simple as possible for the time being, to monitor the load on the server. We just had a crash about 10 minutes ago, I think it might have been me playing around with some modules on the front page.. so we'll see how it goes as it is for now.

citybangbang
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by citybangbang » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:49 pm

The site looks great, and i can navigate with IE6 but when i click back to the home page IE aborts.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Looks fairly nice, but the Author Details speech bubbles look out of place, they should be more inline.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:45 pm

citybangbang wrote:The site looks great, and i can navigate with IE6 but when i click back to the home page IE aborts.
Is there a particular reason why you're still using IE6?

I'll vote that if catering to IE6's bugs is limiting features on the site, or causing undue development headaches, then it's worth ignoring. At the very least, people who know they're using IE6 should have learnt by now that now everything is going to work or look properly for them.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Howie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Removed the piece of code causing IE to abort... really hate IE, they're yet to make a browser that is standards compliant.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 pm

Love it Howie, nice work!

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Alyx » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:15 am

Great work! I really like the new site.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Edgar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Note: If you're having problems viewing the site (e.g. with embedded youtube videos), then it is probably because you're running on a non-CSS compliant browser, such as Internet Explorer. If you haven't done so already, switch to a real browser like Mozilla Firefox.
LOL Couldn't agree more.

The only time I would ever use IE is when I need to access my work email via the Microsoft Webmail Exchange as it is not quite compatible with Mozilla for some reasons. But other than that, I would only ever use Firefox :D

Anyway, the front page looks awesome! Any chance if there will be a mobile-web compatibility for Smartphone/iPhone?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Howie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:01 pm

Edgar wrote: Anyway, the front page looks awesome! Any chance if there will be a mobile-web compatibility for Smartphone/iPhone?
Thanks Edgar. Yep, that's part of the plan. I would like to have a subdomain eventually that'll be specifically for iPhones and Windows Smartphones. Now that RSS is working, what you can do in the meantime is fire up your RSS reader on the iPhone or Windows Mobile phone and subscribe to our RSS (top right hand corner on the front page). So every time a new news item is published it'll automatically get pushed out to your phone.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by Paulns » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:35 am

I'm still finding IE having problems with this site. I'm not sure what the problem is though?
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".