The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1141 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:22 am

HiTouch wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:21 am
For state and Federal Elections, I believe there is no point in voting. Seriously, leave it to established Officials to choose the people most qualified for the job.
So much more streamlined.
So, let corruption reign? Established Officials will end up looking after themselves, meaning they will be for sale to the highest bidder. At least with the current system we're all looking out for ourselves :)
cheers,
Rhino

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#1142 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:52 pm

rhino wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:22 am
HiTouch wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:21 am
For state and Federal Elections, I believe there is no point in voting. Seriously, leave it to established Officials to choose the people most qualified for the job.
So much more streamlined.
So, let corruption reign? Established Officials will end up looking after themselves, meaning they will be for sale to the highest bidder. At least with the current system we're all looking out for ourselves :)
What is corruption? People benefiting by exploiting the system? At least Corruption creates grey areas where we can keep accountable those in power. And let's be honest, we're not really looking out for ourselves. We get told who to vote for by the media.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#1143 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:57 pm

I'm not against democracy or voting when done correctly. However, the country is full of uneducated people though and I think we need to re-educate the populace in understanding how our nation runs and what is needed so they know what they're actually voting for. Rather then trusting what Rupert is telling them, why not establish a General Directorate for Protection of the State.

At the moment the system is being easily exploited and Australia is going down to gurgler, all a government needs to do is cut funding to education (which is what is happening right now. We have an education standard comparable to Bosnia) and you can watch a government stay in power purely because the population knows no better.

rhino

#1144 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:07 pm

You have a point with that education thing, but generally people vote for money.

Rich people vote for whoever will take less of their money and help them make more.
Poor people vote for whoever will give them more money.
No amount of education is going to change that.

However, the middle class needs educating. It's the middle class who are willing to take a little less in order for social services (hospitals, schools, national parks, public transport included) to have a slice of the pie. And the middle class needs to be educated about who will actually deliver these things that they're willing to give up their tax cut or their wage increase to receive.

And they're not going to get that from the newspapers, in general. They're going to have to read some policies, direct from the parties (or the independants) themselves. And they might be surprised about who will really deliver.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#1145 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:00 pm

HiTouch wrote:I'm not against democracy or voting when done correctly. However, the country is full of uneducated people though and I think we need to re-educate the populace in understanding how our nation runs and what is needed so they know what they're actually voting for. Rather then trusting what Rupert is telling them, why not establish a General Directorate for Protection of the State.

At the moment the system is being easily exploited and Australia is going down to gurgler, all a government needs to do is cut funding to education (which is what is happening right now. We have an education standard comparable to Bosnia) and you can watch a government stay in power purely because the population knows no better.
I assume you are one of the enlightened ones?

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

bits
Legendary Member!

#1146 Post by bits » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:46 pm

rhino wrote: It's the middle class who are willing to take a little less in order for social services (hospitals, schools, national parks, public transport included) to have a slice of the pie.
Almost all those sound like money things also.
Public health, public education and public transport is all about what someone would need to pay to get the service they want.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#1147 Post by HiTouch » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:41 am

Waewick wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:00 pm
HiTouch wrote:I'm not against democracy or voting when done correctly. However, the country is full of uneducated people though and I think we need to re-educate the populace in understanding how our nation runs and what is needed so they know what they're actually voting for. Rather then trusting what Rupert is telling them, why not establish a General Directorate for Protection of the State.

I assume you are one of the enlightened ones?

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Maybe I am? Maybe I am a disaffected Liberal Supporter who has lost faith due to the Liberal Party's inability to "pull their shit together"

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#1148 Post by Jaymz » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm

It's a shame the Liberals are in such disarray, because even amongst all of that they are doing a pretty good job of running the economy during the pandemic.

South Australia's Gross State Product has grown at 3.9% for the 2020/21 financial year and actually topped the nation, probably for the first time in decades.

Most pleasingly is manufacturing seems to be having somewhat of a resurgence....

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/econo ... st-release

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#1149 Post by HiTouch » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:41 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm
It's a shame the Liberals are in such disarray, because even amongst all of that they are doing a pretty good job of running the economy during the pandemic.

South Australia's Gross State Product has grown at 3.9% for the 2020/21 financial year and actually topped the nation, probably for the first time in decades.

Most pleasingly is manufacturing seems to be having somewhat of a resurgence....

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/econo ... st-release
Chapman was always a bad oman, Steven Marshall should have never let her into his cabinet. Although she appears progressive, her group are connected to the muddy NSW Liberals who spend more time investing in loopholes and devaluing the ICAC then getting any work done. Tarzia or Gardner were better choices. Even Sanderson would have been a better fit instead of her Minister for Child Protection which is basically a political death sentence.

Llessur2002

#1150 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:48 pm

So the State budget has been brought forward from September to next Thursday (2nd June) - does anyone want to make any guesses as to any surprises we might find outside of the previously announced election policies?

I'm expecting this one to be fairly low key but I'd like to think that we might hear something vaguely sexy announced - hopefully funding for the Port Dock rail spur (yes I'm very keen for a direct rail link from my house to Pirate Life) or possibly even a tram extension but I suspect I might be dreaming on that front in the short term.

rubberman

#1151 Post by rubberman » Wed May 25, 2022 1:10 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:48 pm
So the State budget has been brought forward from September to next Thursday (2nd June) - does anyone want to make any guesses as to any surprises we might find outside of the previously announced election policies?

I'm expecting this one to be fairly low key but I'd like to think that we might hear something vaguely sexy announced - hopefully funding for the Port Dock rail spur (yes I'm very keen for a direct rail link from my house to Pirate Life) or possibly even a tram extension but I suspect I might be dreaming on that front in the short term.
While I'd like you to be right about the trams, the problem is that Morphettville is chock-full. So, unless it's a big extension justifying a new depot, where do the trams go? Plus, I suspect there's no more Citadis to be had (hooray), so a small order of trams has its own problems too. So, while we can hope, it's Powerball odds against.

However. :D lets look to 2025. It will be time for the next Federal election, and a year to go for the State election. A big announcement then makes real sense for State and Federal Labor. Announce a big extension funded Federally to help Federal Labor in 2025, and then have construction up and running a year later as the State election is due in 2026. A big extension would economically justify a bigger depot, and an economic number of trams.

Of course, if neither happens, we might as well forget tram extension in Adelaide. What we have will be it for the foreseeable future.

Llessur2002

#1152 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed May 25, 2022 2:28 pm

rubberman wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:10 pm
While I'd like you to be right about the trams, the problem is that Morphettville is chock-full. So, unless it's a big extension justifying a new depot, where do the trams go? Plus, I suspect there's no more Citadis to be had (hooray), so a small order of trams has its own problems too. So, while we can hope, it's Powerball odds against.
Not that I doubt what you're saying but what was the plan for the proposed Parade extension which Labor had planned to start in 2018/19 and complete by 2020 had they won the 2018 State election? As far as I am aware that didn't include a new depot but I think an extra 4 trams were included in the costings.

Does a new depot really have to be all bells and whistles or could Morphettville support maintenance of a slightly bigger fleet if a stabling-only solution could be found somewhere along a new route? If the latter, wouldn't that be as simple as purchasing a suitable plot of land at some point along the route? Presumably it would not need to be huge if it only needs to accommodate 4 more trams as an interim measure awaiting a larger depot which would accompany future extensions - I would have thought there would likely be something around Kent Town that might be suitable.

rubberman

#1153 Post by rubberman » Wed May 25, 2022 3:53 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:28 pm
rubberman wrote:
Not that I doubt what you're saying but what was the plan for the proposed Parade extension which Labor had planned to start in 2018/19 and complete by 2020 had they won the 2018 State election? As far as I am aware that didn't include a new depot but I think an extra 4 trams were included in the costings.

Does a new depot really have to be all bells and whistles or could Morphettville support maintenance of a slightly bigger fleet if a stabling-only solution could be found somewhere along a new route? If the latter, wouldn't that be as simple as purchasing a suitable plot of land close enough to the route? Presumably it would not need to be huge if it only needs to accommodate 4 more trams as an interim measure awaiting a larger depot which would accompany future extensions and I would have thought there would likely be at least one ex-industrial (or could be made ex) site around Kent Town that might be suitable.
They proposed not only a Norwood extension, but also North Adelaide and Adelink. So, it must have been way more than four trams needed. I never saw a figure, but to service all those would require more than ten trams, likely closer to twenty. I agree if it were only four trams, something temporary could be done. Although buying four trams only would be a challenge if Madrid has run out of spare Citadis. I'm sure Melbourne would sell their Citadis...to any sucker wanting to buy. I hope we wouldn't get caught though.

If it was a bigger order, we might get something better. Anyhow, a pipe dream at the moment. But I do hope it can happen and will be happy to be proven wrong.

SBD

#1154 Post by SBD » Wed May 25, 2022 8:26 pm

rubberman wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:53 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:28 pm
rubberman wrote:

Does a new depot really have to be all bells and whistles or could Morphettville support maintenance of a slightly bigger fleet if a stabling-only solution could be found somewhere along a new route? If the latter, wouldn't that be as simple as purchasing a suitable plot of land close enough to the route? Presumably it would not need to be huge if it only needs to accommodate 4 more trams as an interim measure awaiting a larger depot which would accompany future extensions and I would have thought there would likely be at least one ex-industrial (or could be made ex) site around Kent Town that might be suitable.
They proposed not only a Norwood extension, but also North Adelaide and Adelink. So, it must have been way more than four trams needed. I never saw a figure, but to service all those would require more than ten trams, likely closer to twenty. I agree if it were only four trams, something temporary could be done. Although buying four trams only would be a challenge if Madrid has run out of spare Citadis. I'm sure Melbourne would sell their Citadis...to any sucker wanting to buy. I hope we wouldn't get caught though.

If it was a bigger order, we might get something better. Anyhow, a pipe dream at the moment. But I do hope it can happen and will be happy to be proven wrong.
If South Australia identified a need for a few new trams, was prepared to accept a new class, and wasn't rushed for quick acquisition, surely we could tack on the end of a Victorian order. Once they are ordered, we could negotiate with Victoria if we wanted a few a bit quicker and push out the end of their deliveries.

At the moment, there seems to be plenty of vacant industrial land on Port Road where West End and Coca Cola Amatil used to be, right next to the tram line.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1155 Post by SRW » Wed May 25, 2022 8:41 pm

I'm not hopeful for anything in this budget, though I can imagine at least a North Adelaide extension being pondered within this term. Thinking forward to 2025/6, I hope we can be a little more ambitious than tram extensions, and finally commit to the city underground rail link (with federal assistance). Given the planning and construction timeline, perhaps it could be conceived as the 'bicentennial line' in time for 2036.
Keep Adelaide Weird