Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Beer Garden

#3331 Post by Waewick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:54 am

Back on my thought bubbles , and thank you SBD and others for expanding that.

How about risky proposition.

A dedicated passenger to Mount Gambier (with Associated Freeway)

To make this worth it, it also includes the Kennett model of regional development and encourage a full university offering , moment of a large portion of Public Servants and Investment into infrastructure.

The aim to get greater Mount Gambier to a population of 100k within 25 years.

Incentives for industry to be established etc.

The Mount would be able to benefit from enticing people from across the border as well as new arrivals for Uni etc.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

SBD

#3332 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:43 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:54 am
Back on my thought bubbles , and thank you SBD and others for expanding that.

How about risky proposition.

A dedicated passenger to Mount Gambier (with Associated Freeway)

To make this worth it, it also includes the Kennett model of regional development and encourage a full university offering , moment of a large portion of Public Servants and Investment into infrastructure.

The aim to get greater Mount Gambier to a population of 100k within 25 years.

Incentives for industry to be established etc.

The Mount would be able to benefit from enticing people from across the border as well as new arrivals for Uni etc.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
The state government has had enough trouble getting public servants to move to Port Adelaide. It might take some impressive incentives to get them to move to Mount Gambier! Convenient access to the Coonawarra wine region might not be enough.

Industry incentives worked for Elizabeth in the 1950s but whatever was offered in the 1970s for Monarto didn't work. Mount Gambier already has a university campus - it just needs to be expanded. To draw students from Victoria, it needs to be more attractive than Deakin at Warrnabool and RMIT at Hamilton. Not impossible, but likely takes resources the SA universities would not currently be prepared to commit, so needs a big state investment to kick it off.

I think the close border might be just as much a curse as a blessing. The nearest port for import or export is at Portland. There isn't really an SA competitor east of Adelaide or even an opportunity to develop one. Developing industry in Mount Gambier is funnelling trade through Portland, and that port and its owners probably prefer western Victorian industry.

SBD

#3333 Post by SBD » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:34 pm
Shuz, I've not heard of traffic jams on the Swanport either but I think for safety reasons it would be good to duplicate the bridge. All it takes is one bad accident and the road is blocked. Besides with the The Bend racetrack and the possibilities of staging international events who knows the volume of traffic in future. Just a thought.

Cheers
There was congestion at the end of The Bend car race. That's not the only reason to duplicate it, any more than the need to duplicate the Joy Baluch AM Bridge in Port Augusta. The road over the bridge is now narrower than either carriageway approaching it. There have been a few major collisions on the bridge in recent years. It can be quite unnerving to go from a wide lane with traffic (including road trains now) going the same way to a narrow lane with only a white line to separate the oncoming traffic. It also now needs a separated pedestrian and cycling path. There are small signs saying that pedestrians should use it in emergencies only. I'm not sure if cycling is permitted or not, but I don't think I'd want to try it! This sign provides an alternative route, but I think it's discretionary not mandatory. I can't see anything to prohibit or even discourage cycling from Swanport Road onto the bridge.

[Shuz]

#3334 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:00 am

I know it hasn't been around for years but whatever happened to the option to up like or down like posts? Most other forums online have this feature.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3335 Post by rev » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:49 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:00 am
I know it hasn't been around for years but whatever happened to the option to up like or down like posts? Most other forums online have this feature.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... r_posts_2/

Nort

#3336 Post by Nort » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:09 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
In experience in other forums it's a fun feature, but can just lead to a lot of drama. If it was to be implemented I would suggest just having likes.

SBD

#3337 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:19 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:09 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
In experience in other forums it's a fun feature, but can just lead to a lot of drama. If it was to be implemented I would suggest just having likes.
A "like" or "thank" button would allow people to acknowledge a response or answer to a question without a new "Thank you" post that sends a notification to everyone else.

Nort

#3338 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:25 am

SBD wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:19 pm
Nort wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:09 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
A "like" or "thank" button would allow people to acknowledge a response or answer to a question without a new "Thank you" post that sends a notification to everyone else.
Yup, it can also help make forums feel more lively as people are more likely to leave a response like that than a reply.

Llessur2002

#3339 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:19 am

I liked it (no pun intended). I often want to thank someone for their post but don't bother because I don't want to fill a thread with non-relevant posts.

I presume it would help to increase forum activity as if a user sees that their contributions are appreciated it would encourage them to contribute again in the future?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3340 Post by Goodsy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:18 pm

another truck crash at the bottom of the freeway

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3341 Post by HiTouch » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:52 pm

Such a sudden end for the freeway. Really needs an overpass with an on ramp and multiple off ramps. One time, I did an Adelaide model in Cities Skylines and this interchange improved my traffic flow from 62% to 70%.
When I upgraded Cross Road into a 4 lane elevated expressway to the North/South Motorway it also helped very well. Easily solved. :cheers:

SBD

#3342 Post by SBD » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:11 am

HiTouch wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:52 pm
Such a sudden end for the freeway. Really needs an overpass with an on ramp and multiple off ramps. One time, I did an Adelaide model in Cities Skylines and this interchange improved my traffic flow from 62% to 70%.
When I upgraded Cross Road into a 4 lane elevated expressway to the North/South Motorway it also helped very well. Easily solved. :cheers:
As someone pointed out on the radio, the proportion of trucks that crash is about 1 in two million (I think that was what he said - very small anyway) of those which come down the road. It's very hard to identify a "fix" that would have addressed the last crash and prevent what would otherwise be the next one.

The idea of a third arrestor bed is apparently "obvious", but is the right place for it on Sunday afternoon the same place as on Monday morning? And is it the same for a truck planning to use Cross Road as for Portrush Road? Arrestor beds only work if 1) the driver knows they need it and 2) they can get to it from the lane they are in.

The traffic lights are not at the bottom of the hill. The roads keep descending to at least Unley Road, Fullarton Road and Greenhill Road respectively. Any raising of the road at the intersection just means it has to descend further somewhere else. I iimagine it would be quite difficult to come up with a design that supports all three feeder roads up hill, all three distributors downhill and Cross Road-Portrush Road traffic both ways, supports large vehicles travelling at low speed (not too much camber) and supports runaway trucks and buses without them crashing through the barrier onto the road or business below. The area includes three state heritage sites and another four local heritage sites.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3343 Post by Goodsy » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:38 am

SBD wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:11 am
HiTouch wrote:
As someone pointed out on the radio, the proportion of trucks that crash is about 1 in two million (I think that was what he said - very small anyway) of those which come down the road. It's very hard to identify a "fix" that would have addressed the last crash and prevent what would otherwise be the next one.

The idea of a third arrestor bed is apparently "obvious", but is the right place for it on Sunday afternoon the same place as on Monday morning? And is it the same for a truck planning to use Cross Road as for Portrush Road? Arrestor beds only work if 1) the driver knows they need it and 2) they can get to it from the lane they are in.

The traffic lights are not at the bottom of the hill. The roads keep descending to at least Unley Road, Fullarton Road and Greenhill Road respectively. Any raising of the road at the intersection just means it has to descend further somewhere else. I iimagine it would be quite difficult to come up with a design that supports all three feeder roads up hill, all three distributors downhill and Cross Road-Portrush Road traffic both ways, supports large vehicles travelling at low speed (not too much camber) and supports runaway trucks and buses without them crashing through the barrier onto the road or business below. The area includes three state heritage sites and another four local heritage sites.
Once you look at the statistics its not actually that dangerous of an intersection, not even in the top 10. But when things go wrong they go horribly wrong. I dont think there's any intersection that has the potential for massive loss of life, all it would take is a truck t boning a bus.

I think the only long term solution would be a tunnel from Emerson crossing to the SE Freeway with the tunnel portal being at the location of where the second arrestor bed is now.

It's either that or a hills bypass. I'd like to see a freeway that runs from Tailem Bend to Strathalbyn then connects to Victor Harbor road. You still have the downhill section of Willunga Hill but atleast there's more run off space

SBD

#3344 Post by SBD » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:17 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:38 am
SBD wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:11 am
HiTouch wrote:

Once you look at the statistics its not actually that dangerous of an intersection, not even in the top 10. But when things go wrong they go horribly wrong. I dont think there's any intersection that has the potential for massive loss of life, all it would take is a truck t boning a bus.

I think the only long term solution would be a tunnel from Emerson crossing to the SE Freeway with the tunnel portal being at the location of where the second arrestor bed is now.

It's either that or a hills bypass. I'd like to see a freeway that runs from Tailem Bend to Strathalbyn then connects to Victor Harbor road. You still have the downhill section of Willunga Hill but atleast there's more run off space
I think the "solution" should avoid crossing the top of the range.

The east-of-the-hills bypass to Truro might help for truck traffic between Adelaide and Murray Bridge or beyond, but does nothing for traffic closer in the Hills.

I liked the "short south" option in the GlobeLink report that provided a freeway with bridges and short tunnels from near Mount Barker South to the NSM near Tonsley. Interchanges near Echunga, Kangarilla and Coromandel Valley I think. I don't think the report considered also including commuter rail, so don't know if that would also be feasible.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#3345 Post by Hooligan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:37 am

I would just like to see the transport department cover the cost of retrieving trucks from arrester beds. It could be incorporated into heavy vehicle registration costs.

Drivers currently would be hesitant to use them as they could face termination/unfair treatment from their employers due to the large cost involved in removing trucks from the beds. Some companies even tell their drivers they are responsible for the cost.

This would help make the freeway safer.

Code: Select all

Signature removed