SA State Election 2022

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Which political party will you vote for at the 2022 South Australian State Election?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:42 pm

Liberal
13%
Labor
50%
Greens
20%
Nationals
No votes
SA Best / Centre Alliance
No votes
One Nation
3%
United Australia Party
No votes
Independent / Other
13%

Total votes: 30

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

SA State Election 2022

#1 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:42 pm

53 days to go until the State Election. The floor's open for political rants.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

Re: SA State Election 2022

#2 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:46 pm

It will be interesting to see what platform Labor runs on this time round - I'd really love to see some of the previous infrastructure promises of tram extensions and the Port Dock spur back on the agenda but seeing as they ran with that last time round and didn't win I suspect they might change tack.

Nathan

#3 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:21 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:46 pm
It will be interesting to see what platform Labor runs on this time round - I'd really love to see some of the previous infrastructure promises of tram extensions and the Port Dock spur back on the agenda but seeing as they ran with that last time round and didn't win I suspect they might change tack.
I hope both of those previous promises come back too, but not sure public transport infrastructure is off much appeal to Malinauskas.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:46 pm

He's already saying we can't afford a new entertainment venue or as he calls it on social media a $600m basketball stadium AND health services so it looks like he wouldn't be proposing anything exciting or he is going back on his only (so far) election promise.

I personally think both leaders are weak and not going to be the leadership we need or deserve. Another 4 years of mediocrity ensures either way.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by HiTouch » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:27 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:46 pm
He's already saying we can't afford a new entertainment venue or as he calls it on social media a $600m basketball stadium AND health services so it looks like he wouldn't be proposing anything exciting or he is going back on his only (so far) election promise.

I personally think both leaders are weak and not going to be the leadership we need or deserve. Another 4 years of mediocrity ensures either way.
I agree, with weak leadership will come splinters. I imagine the 2026 election will have more than a few fringe parties which may slow down things even more.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#6 Post by rev » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:00 pm

Credit rating has been upgraded by Fitch from AA to AA+. I think the AAA category is after AA+.
Our state debt is around d 28% of GSP. Relatively low.

We can afford a new arena and better health funding.
Its a question of political will.
Labor will probably further upgrade Memorial Drive, while directing more funding to health like they've already started announcing.
Liberlas want a riverbank stadium and a nWCH.

Will Labor commit to expanding the tram network?
If so, will they this time, if they win, do it all in one go, or drip feed stages because they're too scared of the News Corp generated backlash from traffic congestion and delays that such projects create?

Either way, SA politics is full of duds.
Nothing extraordinary will happen in SA courtesy of an SA government. They, all of them eve the fresh blooded advisors and assistants, are all stuck in the old mentality that holds the state back. The factions within keep anyone who could be a great visionary leader for the state out.

Llessur2002

#7 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:23 pm

My guess is that we won't see trams form a major part of the election campaign but am keeping my fingers crossed for a surprise in the first budget. I assume the Norwood extension is still shovel-ready or close to it, seeing as it was due to follow on directly from the North Terrace extension if Labor had won last time round. Port Dock is also presumably as good to go as it ever was - just needs the sleepers to be redelivered from wherever the Libs put them in storage.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Jaymz » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:36 pm

What's with the fixation of trams in this forum? I like them as much as the next person, but it seems like a tram extension is all that's needed to win the vote for ppl in here.

I like the current plan of reducing bottlenecks on major roads with extra lanes, it's not sexy but it seems to work. Example of a basic improvement is Sir Donald Bradman Drive turning right onto West Terrace, it's now 2 lanes instead of one. Super simple stuff.

Llessur2002

#9 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:15 pm

My reasons:
  • I live in the inner suburbs
  • I prefer to take public transport as much as possible
  • The possibility of hopping on a tram in Hindmarsh and heading to Norwood, North Adelaide, Prospect, Hutt Street, Gouger Street etc without having to worry about driving and parking is very appealing to me
  • I would like my kids to grow up not being dependent on personal vehicles to get everywhere
  • Adelaide currently has a woeful public transport system with cross-city journeys difficult and lengthy. A decent tram network would go a long way towards resolving this
  • Tram corridors would provide multiple opportunities for higher density housing which would help reduce urban sprawl
  • The number of single occupant cars travelling in peak hour is huge. Tram lines into the CBD from multiple directions will provide a viable alternative for tens of thousands of commuters
  • And before you ask why buses can't do all of the above - no one likes buses. They get stuck in traffic, are noisy and uncomfortable
Continually adding more lanes to roads has been proven time and time again to be a temporary fix which encourages increased car usage and eventually cancelling out the benefit of the extra lanes.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Jaymz » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:34 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:15 pm
My reasons:
  • The possibility of hopping on a tram in Hindmarsh and heading to Norwood, North Adelaide, Prospect, Hutt Street, Gouger Street etc without having to worry about driving and parking is very appealing to me
  • I would like my kids to grow up not being dependent on personal vehicles to get everywhere
  • Adelaide currently has a woeful public transport system with cross-city journeys difficult and lengthy. A decent tram network would go a long way towards resolving this
  • Tram corridors would provide multiple opportunities for higher density housing which would help reduce urban sprawl
  • The number of single occupant cars travelling in peak hour is huge. Tram lines into the CBD from multiple directions will provide a viable alternative for tens of thousands of commuters
  • And before you ask why buses can't do all of the above - no one likes buses. They get stuck in traffic, are noisy and uncomfortable
Continually adding more lanes to roads has been proven time and time again to be a temporary fix which encourages increased car usage and eventually cancelling out the benefit of the extra lanes.
So you're a snob and you only want your kids to live in the "inner" suburbs"?

Llessur2002

#11 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:48 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:34 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
My reasons:
I've no idea how you've come to either of those conclusions.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#12 Post by rev » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:07 am

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:36 pm
What's with the fixation of trams in this forum? I like them as much as the next person, but it seems like a tram extension is all that's needed to win the vote for ppl in here.

I like the current plan of reducing bottlenecks on major roads with extra lanes, it's not sexy but it seems to work. Example of a basic improvement is Sir Donald Bradman Drive turning right onto West Terrace, it's now 2 lanes instead of one. Super simple stuff.
What Adelaide needs is investment in all its forms of transportation. Not one or the other.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by jk1237 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:08 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
My reasons:
wow Jaymz you're a knob

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by HiTouch » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:36 pm

From my experience with family living in Tokyo, most traffic issues are solved with good public transport and well-utilised regional centres. Neither of which we have. Elizabeth, Port Adelaide and Noarlunga are the most under-utlised spaces and neither party has a plan for them. In fact, unless Mali brings back the tram plan, I expect nothing worthwhile out of this election.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Jaymz » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:13 pm

jk1237 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:08 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
My reasons:
wow Jaymz you're a knob
I'll cop that on the chin. It was a poor post and not in the spirit of the forum. My apologies.