Stores adelaide is missing

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Stores adelaide is missing

#16 Post by crawf » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:12 am

rev wrote:Who cares what Melbourne or Brisbane has. This is Adelaide, I'm tired of people comparing what each city has and others don't. FFS this small town mentality really needs to go.
Far out chill, I was only saying they have it. go back and read my post again
I wouldn't mind seeing a Big W being apart of the Central Markets Redevelopment , because there is going to be alot more people living in the area within the next few years and it will bring more people into the area (could be a boon for sunday trading in the central markets). Though I hope there is plans to demolish the existing Coles and restart again, because that would have to be one of the worst designed supermarkets I have ever seen.

Or maybe apart of the Renaissance Arcade Redevelopment at Rundle Mall, I think it would be good to have another department store in the CBD. Theres already a Big W in the Melbourne CBD and I think in Brisbane.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#17 Post by rev » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:16 pm

I read your post the first time. Re-read mine, and look at what portion of yours I'm actually commenting on. Hint, one of the parts you didn't bold.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by AtD » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:28 pm

I would think places like Big W and K Mart aren't aimed at the CBD crowds. If you can afford parking, or live there, or work there, then chances are you consider yourself too up-market.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by Pistol » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:07 pm

^^ A very large generalisation there Adam.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Will » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:26 am

crawf wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a Big W being apart of the Central Markets Redevelopment , because there is going to be alot more people living in the area within the next few years and it will bring more people into the area (could be a boon for sunday trading in the central markets). Though I hope there is plans to demolish the existing Coles and restart again, because that would have to be one of the worst designed supermarkets I have ever seen.

Or maybe apart of the Renaissance Arcade Redevelopment at Rundle Mall, I think it would be good to have another department store in the CBD. Theres already a Big W in the Melbourne CBD and I think in Brisbane.
The Central Market is unique. It is special, it has personality. Making it just another American style shopping mall, will actually result in less people visiting the city. I for one, would not make the effort to visit the Central market if it was just another shopping mall. And I'm sure, that the majority of people who visit the market would feel and react the same.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by AtD » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:27 am

Perhaps.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by crawf » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:42 am

Will wrote:
crawf wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a Big W being apart of the Central Markets Redevelopment , because there is going to be alot more people living in the area within the next few years and it will bring more people into the area (could be a boon for sunday trading in the central markets). Though I hope there is plans to demolish the existing Coles and restart again, because that would have to be one of the worst designed supermarkets I have ever seen.

The Central Market is unique. It is special, it has personality. Making it just another American style shopping mall, will actually result in less people visiting the city. I for one, would not make the effort to visit the Central market if it was just another shopping mall. And I'm sure, that the majority of people who visit the market would feel and react the same.
No I'm talking about the plaza or the top level, definitely not the markets itself. I for one would hate to see the markets destroyed. However the plaza is a bit dodgy.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Will » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:49 am

crawf wrote:
Will wrote:

No I'm talking about the plaza or the top level, definitely not the markets itself. I for one would hate to see the markets destroyed. However the plaza is a bit dodgy.
Yes, I agree with you on that. The plaza is very outdated.

However I would rather the market retain its small business vibe, and not have large corporations trading there.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Al » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:50 pm

I just wish there was a hardware store somewhere within walking distance of the CBD!

duke
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by duke » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:02 pm

Al wrote:I just wish there was a hardware store somewhere within walking distance of the CBD!
If a K-Mart or BigW opened then they would have a small amount of general hardware supplies like the suburban stores. But one in the CBD that was a proper hardware store would be good.
A quick search of Yellow pages says there is one at 66 Rundle Street Kent Town. Does anyone know if this store actually stocks much?

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by Pistol » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Kent Town Bunnings is perfectly situated to the cbd and, although is no superstore, it carries the stock required of any handyman. If you need more, then a short drive to Mile End Bunnings is in order. Besides when visiting a hardware store, you generally want your car there to pile in all your new toys.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Al » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:17 pm

You're correct in saying that most of the time, you'd have your car but there's been many occasions where I just wanted to pick up some nuts and bolts or sandpaper... that sort of thing. I don't why there can't be a mitre 10 or bunnings type of store south of Vic square. There's plenty of space that way. Kent town and mile end is just too far to walk to during a short lunch break. I miss Harris Scarfe's 'hardware section' since they decided to downsize it.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by stelaras » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:59 pm

An IKEA superstore coupled to a shopping complex that had coles/safeway and general stores, maybe throw in a Kingpin (tenpin bowling for over 18's)...where would you build??? NFI

Other stores to tailor for the well to do's in the CBD

Jimmy Choo,
Chloe, Dior,
Armani,
Bally
Boss

and any other store you can think of

plus a sinful café (all things rich and chocolaty)

anyway thats my 2 bobs worth

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Pants » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:32 pm

Just on this topic, has there been anything new open up in the city since I left in March that's worth knowing about?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Ben » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:34 pm

stelaras wrote:An IKEA superstore coupled to a shopping complex that had coles/safeway and general stores, maybe throw in a Kingpin (tenpin bowling for over 18's)...where would you build??? NFI
Safeway.. Have you forgotten your Adelaide heritage already? :lol: