Pandas coming to Adelaide!

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Jamo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Pandas coming to Adelaide!

#16 Post by Jamo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:15 pm

Ho Really wrote:This is an interesting development. I can imagine all those tourists and money spent here. At least something positive out of APEC. One question: if they have offspring do we get to keep them?

Cheers
The panda offspring (should they have any) remain under the ownership of the Chinese Government unfortunately. I guess with only around 500 in captivity they play a very persuading chip in the game of politics.

But a great result for the zoo, congrats to them

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Ho Really » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:02 am

Jamo wrote:The panda offspring (should they have any) remain under the ownership of the Chinese Government unfortunately. I guess with only around 500 in captivity they play a very persuading chip in the game of politics.

That's unfortunate but understandable. Thanks for that Jamo.

Cheers

P.S. One interesting point: if there should be offspring and they went back to China after so many years, would you speak to them in english or chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese)? :? :wink: :lol:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Jamo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by Jamo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:13 am

Ho Really wrote:
Jamo wrote:The panda offspring (should they have any) remain under the ownership of the Chinese Government unfortunately. I guess with only around 500 in captivity they play a very persuading chip in the game of politics.

That's unfortunate but understandable. Thanks for that Jamo.

Cheers

P.S. One interesting point: if there should be offspring and they went back to China after so many years, would you speak to them in english or chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese)? :? :wink: :lol:

Cheers
Surely 'strine would be the panda tongue? Spreading some Aussie culture back to Asia perhaps?

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Al » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:18 pm

Man this is making a lot of news on the net! Quite a few foreign news sites have picked up on it! Hopefully this will raise Adelaide's image a little.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Brando » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:13 pm

Yeah, it's official.
The federal government will still support the arrival of the two Pandas to Adelaide zoo, despite federal cut backs.
Great story on channel Ten news, anyone see it or copy it?

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by Brando » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:18 pm

From Adelaide now.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

Kevin Rudd confirms funding for pandas to come to Adelaide Zoo
MARK KENNY, POLITICAL EDITOR, BEIJING

April 11, 2008 02:05pm
PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd has confirmed he will provide the necessary funding for Adelaide Zoo to receive two pandas - Wang Wang and Funi - from China.

Mr Rudd confirmed the panda exchange – promised by China during last year's APEC conference in Sydney – would not fall victim to widespread government budget cuts.

Former foreign affairs minister Alexander Downer has said the deal could be in jeopardy if the Government did not come up with the $5 million needed to fund the transfer of the two giant pandas and to house them at Adelaide Zoo.

But Mr Rudd today told reporters in Beijing: "I'm confident the pandas will be safely and effectively brought to Australia. We'll be in contact with our friends in China to make sure the necessary funding arrangements are put in place."

He said the pandas "will enjoy a happy sojourn in Australia" and all the logistical problems would be worked out with Chinese authorities.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Wayno » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:26 pm

obviously Rudd is just panda-ing to south australia :) (god, i can't believe i actually posted this comment!)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#23 Post by Shuz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Pandas are so... I dunno. Am I the only one not excited about this? Should I have reason to be?...I'd rather have polar bears here than a panda, anyone want to call Princess Mary and see if she can bribe the Danes into giving us a polar bear?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:52 pm

Shuz wrote:Pandas are so... I dunno. Am I the only one not excited about this? Should I have reason to be?...I'd rather have polar bears here than a panda, anyone want to call Princess Mary and see if she can bribe the Danes into giving us a polar bear?
Polar bears win with me. But then I'm biases because I like polar bears more than pandas... um... yeah ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by Norman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:13 pm

Is this because Polar Bears are Monosexuals and like one thing instead of two?

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Aww come on guys...what's not to like about pandas...

See video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FzRH3iTQPrk

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by monotonehell » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:35 am

Norman wrote:Is this because Polar Bears are Monosexuals and like one thing instead of two?
No you're thinking of Minki Whales. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.