2007 Australian Federal Election

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: 2007 Australian Federal Election

#76 Post by crawf » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:33 pm

Will wrote:
crawf wrote:Well for starters we can thank the unions (especially the powerful SDA) in this state, allowing Adelaide have the 2nd most ridiculous trading laws in the country.
So Crawf, you would be happy to work on Christmas for no extra pay?
I'm not talking about extra pay on public holidays, I definitely don't disagree with that.

Though the fact is like or not, Adelaide (not country SA) but Adelaide has the 2nd most ridiculous trading laws in the country, its insane that most supermarkets have to close by 5pm on weekends, while supermarkets in the country (including the hills) can open till midnight or even 24/7. Like seriously its just pathetic and something I do not understand especially after living in a town that had a 24/7 coles and 3 supermarkets open till midnight 7 days a week and that was classified as the norm.

I also think traders (especially in the CBD) should be able to open up on some public holidays (ofcourse not Christmas Day & Good Friday), I could handle supermarkets allowed to open till 9pm 7 days a week, with a few open till midnight and 24/7. but 5pm on weekends?! :wank:

I'm also a member of the SDA, and they were strong supporters of not relaxing the crazy trading laws. But country SA is very relaxed compared to its capital city (WA is the same).

Sorry if I've upset people, but I am a strong supporter of relaxing trading hours in Adelaide - its 2007, not 1957.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#77 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:18 pm

In WA, the shops don't even open on Sundays...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#78 Post by crawf » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:26 pm

I'm pretty sure it just applies to only Perth, not country WA. SA used to be the same, until Adelaide finally saw the light.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#79 Post by rev » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:03 am

Crawf how many full time jobs have you held? Now how many disputes and unfair dismissal's have you had during those full time jobs?

None? Your criticism of Unions is unfounded and imho, completely uneducated. Your simply repeating Liberal party, and right wing conservative anti-union garbage in your own words. And I don't particularly care if your a member of the SDA or any other union, go educate your self on the positive role they have played in the work force and peoples lives. Because I can tell you, if it wasn't for the unions, this country would have minimum wage laws worse then America's six dollars an hour or whatever the hell it is now.

If it wasn't for the unions, the rights that John Howard took away from you, and every other worker(or potential worker), were only ever in place because of the Unions.
If it wasn't for the unions, do you have any idea how many people would have lost their jobs? Do you even have an idea of what the Unions do for their members? The support they give to individual workers?
Every time you see on the news picket lines at some factory, that's the Unions standing up not only for those particular workers rights, but every other workers rights in this country.
If for anything at all, we need the unions to counter the likes of neo conservatives who will only bring about changes that will make work choices look like a heaven sent miracle.

Its that sort of ignorance that gave us the unfortunate 11 years of a Howard government.

As far as Howard making this country prouder, yeah right, I nearly choked on my own saliva when I read that.

He was slowly making this country more intolerant against other peoples. What ever happened to a fair go for everyone? People like Howard have destroyed that, along with alot more. Remember the Tampa crisis? How about the Lebanese and Muslim communities in Australia? What's he done? Where he should have been bridging the divide between them and mainstream Australia, he only ever sought to widen the gap. Real proud moments.
He helped invade a sovereign country, based on what the rest of the world knew was a lie. He lied to us, the Australian people, he lied to the world, and he has tarnished our nations once proud image. Oh btw, did you manage to catch the interview were it was admitted by Nelson I think, that the war was really only about securing oil supplies? Yep, I can see how that would make one proud.

Shops close at 5pm? Big deal. Don't retail workers deserve a break? Or do you think they would rather sit at work serving you all night long, rather then spending time with their families and getting some rest?

Er, quite a few suburan supermarkets dont close at 5pm, they stay open several hours longer. Most are open at 7am the next morning anyway.
Again, do you expect people to work as slave labour? Or are you going to go get a job and serve us at 3am on a Wednesday night?

And let me ask you this, if legislation allowed for businesses to be open 24/7, who exactly would go to the supermarket in the middle of the night or to a department store and so on? Christmas only comes around once a year. The city is dead on weeknights. You think if Target or Myer were open 24/7, this would suddenly change? Fat chance.

I doubt traders will even make enough extra money/profit to be able to justify let alone PAY the extra staff, and that is if they managed to find new staff or convince their existing staff to work longer hours or additional late night shifts. Would you take a shift lets say, between midnight, and 8am? On a Friday or Saturday night? How about during a weeknight? No? Why do you expect others to work such hours?

So while your thinking of late night or 24/7 shopping from your perspective as a positive crawf, there are several downsides.

paul
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#80 Post by paul » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:05 am

"I doubt traders will even make enough extra money/profit to be able to justify let alone PAY the extra staff, and that is if they managed to find new staff or convince their existing staff to work longer hours or additional late night shifts. Would you take a shift lets say, between midnight, and 8am? On a Friday or Saturday night? How about during a weeknight? No? Why do you expect others to work such hours?" - It's about choice, something the Union movement isn't clearly threatened by. Workers should have the choice to work whatever shits they want provided they are protected should they chose not to.

"He was slowly making this country more intolerant against other peoples" - How race problems has Australia had over the last 11 years of a Howard Government? I can only remember Cronulla - a few red necks and some equally racist Lebanese. Now compare this to the rest of the world and Australia is one of the most harmonious places to live. It's simply wrong to suggest otherwise.

"Remember the Tampa crisis" - Clearly a sad case but are you suggesting a refugee who pays $10,000 to a people smuggler should be welcomed into Australia over some poor bastard in Somalia who has to wait his turn? Most refugees who make their own way to Australia are surely not in fear of their lives - they are hoping for a better life. Fair enough, but where is the justice in letting someone who arrives by boat take the place of someone who's patiently waiting for their turn?

"He helped invade a sovereign country, based on what the rest of the world knew was a lie. He lied to us, the Australian people, he lied to the world, and he has tarnished our nations once proud image. Oh btw, did you manage to catch the interview were it was admitted by Nelson I think, that the war was really only about securing oil supplies? Yep, I can see how that would make one proud." - I can't support the Iraq war but to gloat about it's failings is a bit much. Firstly, Australia would have contributed troops under a Labour government - our two greatest allies are Britain and the US. Secondly, Howard followed the same advice provided by the British LABOUR government. Finally, if there weren't so many cowardly politicans who ignored Iraq for years then maybe the conflict could have been avoided.

"I doubt traders will even make enough extra money/profit to be able to justify let alone PAY the extra staff, and that is if they managed to find new staff or convince their existing staff to work longer hours or additional late night shifts. Would you take a shift lets say, between midnight, and 8am? On a Friday or Saturday night? How about during a weeknight? No? Why do you expect others to work such hours? - Again, it's about choice. What would happen if a worker did want to work a late night shift? There'd be a picket line full of Union thugs calling him a 'scab' in no time!! I don't think anyone's anti union, what I object to is the bullying and intimidation and the lack of respect for individual choice when negotiating employment conditions. There has to be a balance...

I suspect some of the contributors have forgotten what it's like to live a country with high unemployement and limited opportunities. After 11 years of growth there's a belief out there that a job is a right and private sector investment is a given.

Each to their own though.....

Mants
Legendary Member!

#81 Post by Mants » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:35 pm

can i just say i think it will be interesting to see whether or not the unions will help the Australian economy at this point in time.
since Australia has removed tariffs on most imports, this already puts huge pressure on local businesses to function and remain as efficient as nations overseas. it is simply impossible for us to compete with these countries, notably China.
Howard's IR laws gave some of the power back to the employers to monitor the productivity of their businesses, especially in manufacturing industries. if these laws are abolished and more power is given to the unions and employees of these companies, many of these businesses simply will not be able to survive in Australia and will be forced to move overseas. Believe me, i have members of my extended family who have been in the position where they have had to make the decision to close their Australian factories and move overseas, simply because they cannot compete anymore.
i understand the support that unions give to individual workers and we all know businesses cannot survive without workers, but without the businesses workers cannot get a job. there are many unskilled labourers who rely on the manufacturing industry for their jobs. if these businesses move overseas, this will leave thousands jobless. under the previous labor government unemployment was at 17%, you tell me if you want one in five working class Australian's without a job.

regardless of this, im not necessarily a right wing supporter, even though i come from a traditional Liberal voting area, im just proposing an opposing point of view.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#82 Post by Will » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:57 pm

Mants wrote:can i just say i think it will be interesting to see whether or not the unions will help the Australian economy at this point in time.
since Australia has removed tariffs on most imports, this already puts huge pressure on local businesses to function and remain as efficient as nations overseas. it is simply impossible for us to compete with these countries, notably China.
Howard's IR laws gave some of the power back to the employers to monitor the productivity of their businesses, especially in manufacturing industries. if these laws are abolished and more power is given to the unions and employees of these companies, many of these businesses simply will not be able to survive in Australia and will be forced to move overseas. Believe me, i have members of my extended family who have been in the position where they have had to make the decision to close their Australian factories and move overseas, simply because they cannot compete anymore.
i understand the support that unions give to individual workers and we all know businesses cannot survive without workers, but without the businesses workers cannot get a job. there are many unskilled labourers who rely on the manufacturing industry for their jobs. if these businesses move overseas, this will leave thousands jobless. under the previous labor government unemployment was at 17%, you tell me if you want one in five working class Australian's without a job.

regardless of this, im not necessarily a right wing supporter, even though i come from a traditional Liberal voting area, im just proposing an opposing point of view.

Australia should compete with the rest of the world by making the best products available. By utilizing innovation and enterprise to create new and better products. Australia should not compete with countries such as China based on wage costs. We simply cannot compete with such countries by lowering Labour costs. You are living in a neo-conservatie fantasy land if you think, that it is a good idea to have a $3 minimum wage and no protections so we can be competitive. I don't understand how easy, the neo-conservatives have fooled everyone into thinking that having a job regardless of the pay and conditions is the best outcome available. We should focus on creating meaningful, dignified work, not the modern day slavery seen in the US.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by Mants » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:13 pm

Will wrote:
Mants wrote:can i just say i think it will be interesting to see whether or not the unions will help the Australian economy at this point in time.

Australia should compete with the rest of the world by making the best products available. By utilizing innovation and enterprise to create new and better products. Australia should not compete with countries such as China based on wage costs. We simply cannot compete with such countries by lowering Labour costs. You are living in a neo-conservatie fantasy land if you think, that it is a good idea to have a $3 minimum wage and no protections so we can be competitive. I don't understand how easy, the neo-conservatives have fooled everyone into thinking that having a job regardless of the pay and conditions is the best outcome available. We should focus on creating meaningful, dignified work, not the modern day slavery seen in the US.
of course i understand your point, however i am saying that manufacturers have and will continue to close their australian factories. you have only to look at mitsubishi. if the car tariffs were removed completely, do you think mitsubishi could possibly compete with korea and japan? dont forget china havent even begun to sell cars in australia yet. it's only a matter of time before mitsubishi leaves Australia's shores entirely.

your argument regarding a quality australian product has little merit. people will generally purchase the car which they can afford, and this is usually the cheaper, imported models.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#84 Post by rhino » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:26 pm

We have been fed so much crap over the last year by the Government. Lowest unemployment in generations? They moved the goalposts! Heck, we could lower it even more if we moved the posts further apart! If you are employed for 12 hours a week, you are considered "employed". Never mind the fact that you can't support your family or own your house with those hours. 30 years ago, the figures were based on how many people were receiving welfare because they didn't earn enough money to support a family, and if the figures were arrived at the same way today, I doubt the number would be very much different.

Howard came out last week and said "I have never lied to the Australian People" - he's lied so much he's forgotten what the truth is. Or maybe they were "Non-Core Untruths". What a disgrace! Rather than be proud, I cringed over things like the Tampa affair, the refugee camps, the AWB scandal, the WOMD fiasco. How about you? Was anyone really proud of any of that? And the economy - with the way the global economy has been over the last decade, Robert Mugabe could have given us a good economy.

I better stop ranting now. :)
cheers,
Rhino

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#85 Post by Will » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:14 pm

Mants wrote:
Will wrote:

of course i understand your point, however i am saying that manufacturers have and will continue to close their australian factories. you have only to look at mitsubishi. if the car tariffs were removed completely, do you think mitsubishi could possibly compete with korea and japan? dont forget china havent even begun to sell cars in australia yet. it's only a matter of time before mitsubishi leaves Australia's shores entirely.

your argument regarding a quality australian product has little merit. people will generally purchase the car which they can afford, and this is usually the cheaper, imported models.
If the conversation is about tariffs, then I support them. In fact I would raise or re-introduce responsible tariffs to protect our manufacturing industry.

And I completely disagree with people buying the cheapest product available. Sure this applies for some people, but according to your arguement, then people wouldn't buy BMWs, or similar products.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#86 Post by AG » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:41 pm

The car industry is a pretty broad market to refer to. Within that, you have various types of markets within that such as sports cars, small cars, etc. Affordability is just one of many reasons as to the choice of cars that consumers choose to buy alongside personal preferences.

Current models of cars in China at the moment are not allowed on the Australian market because they do not meet some of the safety standards we have. The tariff that exists for cars may be good for those working in the industry, but for the consumers it just means buying cars is more expensive because the costs imposed by the tariff get passed on to the consumers, which would be discouraging consumers from buying cars.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by Howie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:47 pm

AG wrote:Current models of cars in China at the moment are not allowed on the Australian market because they do not meet some of the safety standards we have.
I know which cars you're referring to, but china also produces some more well known marquees such as Benz and BMW, alongside that they manufacture most of the components that go into cars all over the world (such as holden, ford, nissan, mitsubushi). Basically they build to a price, and that's the main concern by the motoring lobby in Australia, which is fair enough.. they have to pass emissions, safety, and all the other things that go along with it.

Korea had a similar uphill battle to sell cars here in Australia, and the local buyers weren't too receptive at first doubting their build quality and safety, but look at the Korean car companies now.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:08 pm

Rev wrote:None? Your criticism of Unions is unfounded and imho, completely uneducated. Your simply repeating Liberal party, and right wing conservative anti-union garbage in your own words. And I don't particularly care if your a member of the SDA or any other union, go educate your self on the positive role they have played in the work force and peoples lives. Because I can tell you, if it wasn't for the unions, this country would have minimum wage laws worse then America's six dollars an hour or whatever the hell it is now.
Don't you dare say my criticism is completely uneducated, when you and most of us on here can't remember what it was like when a Labor government was in charge or even experienced a real recession. From what I've heard and read (and ffs not the tiser), labor doesn't have the best track record - high unemployment, higher interest rates, not good for small businesses etc.... Though that is in the past and who knows maybe the new labor government will improve this country, but time will tell.
Shops close at 5pm? Big deal. Don't retail workers deserve a break? Or do you think they would rather sit at work serving you all night long, rather then spending time with their families and getting some rest?
Big Deal?!, maybe you might have time to do your shopping before 5pm, but quite allot of retail workers have to work behind 5pm regardless if the store is closed.

And for gods sack, this is already in place right across regional SA and interstate (accept Perth). It’s convenient and it’s the 21st century
Er, quite a few suburan supermarkets dont close at 5pm, they stay open several hours longer. Most are open at 7am the next morning anyway.
Again, do you expect people to work as slave labour? Or are you going to go get a job and serve us at 3am on a Wednesday night?
Majority of them have to close 5pm.

Slave labour? lol, mate clearly you have no idea. Getting payed double time is not slave labour and people shouldn't be forced to work those hours but have a choice if they want to.
And let me ask you this, if legislation allowed for business to be open 24/7, who exactly would go to the supermarket in the middle of the night or to a department store and so on? Christmas only comes around once a year. The city is dead on weeknights. You think if Target or Myer were open 24/7, this would suddenly change? Fat chance.
I never said the department stores :roll:, Well 24/7 supermarkets aren't unique, they have been around for ages interstate. Its convenient if you’re a bit hungry, ran out of something or just knocked of from work etc... . I'm not saying having all supermarkets open 24/7 or midnight (like in Victoria) but have a few of them.
I doubt traders will even make enough extra money/profit to be able to justify let alone PAY the extra staff, and that is if they managed to find new staff or convince their existing staff to work longer hours or additional late night shifts. Would you take a shift lets say, between midnight, and 8am? On a Friday or Saturday night? How about during a weeknight? No? Why do you expect others to work such hours?

So while your thinking of late night or 24/7 shopping from your perspective as a positive crawf, there are several downsides.
If its such a bad thing 24/7 supermarkets, then why the hell have so many supermarkets interstate have gone 24/7 and most have had positive results. Again I don't think all supermarkets should go 24/7 in Adelaide, but have a few around the CBD and suburbs.

I do not agree people should be forced to work those hours, but have a choice and get double payed. There's downsides to everything in life, they were downsides to shops being allowed to open on sundays and weeknight trading though many people would say its been a success.

Rev let me guess, did you support weeknight and sunday trading?

We all claim we want Adelaide to be a vibrant and exciting destination, though our current trading laws aren't going to make our city that.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#89 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:10 pm

Rev wrote:None? Your criticism of Unions is unfounded and imho, completely uneducated. Your simply repeating Liberal party, and right wing conservative anti-union garbage in your own words. And I don't particularly care if your a member of the SDA or any other union, go educate your self on the positive role they have played in the work force and peoples lives. Because I can tell you, if it wasn't for the unions, this country would have minimum wage laws worse then America's six dollars an hour or whatever the hell it is now.
Don't you dare say my criticism is completely uneducated, when you and most of us on here can't remember what it was like when a Labor government was in charge or even experienced a real recession. From what I've heard and read (and ffs not the tiser), labor doesn't have the best track record - high unemployment, higher interest rates, not good for small businesses etc.... Though that is in the past and who knows maybe the new labor government will improve this country, but time will tell.
Big Deal?!, maybe you might have time to do your shopping before 5pm, but quite allot of retail workers have to work behind 5pm regardless if the store is closed.

And for gods sack, this is already in place right across regional SA and interstate (accept Perth). It’s convenient and it’s the 21st century

Slave labour? lol, mate clearly you have no idea. Getting payed double time is not slave labour and people shouldn't be forced to work those hours but have a choice if they want to.
And let me ask you this, if legislation allowed for business to be open 24/7, who exactly would go to the supermarket in the middle of the night or to a department store and so on? Christmas only comes around once a year. The city is dead on weeknights. You think if Target or Myer were open 24/7, this would suddenly change? Fat chance.
I never said the department stores :roll:, Well 24/7 supermarkets aren't unique, they have been around for ages interstate. Its convenient if you’re a bit hungry, ran out of something or just knocked of from work etc... . I'm not saying having all supermarkets open 24/7 or midnight (like in Victoria) but have a few of them.

If its such a bad thing 24/7 supermarkets, then why the hell have so many supermarkets interstate have gone 24/7 and most have had positive results. Again I don't think all supermarkets should go 24/7 in Adelaide, but have a few around the CBD and suburbs.

I do not agree people should be forced to work those hours, but have a choice and get double payed. There's downsides to everything in life, they were downsides to shops being allowed to open on sundays and weeknight trading though many people would say its been a success.

We all claim we want Adelaide to be a vibrant and exciting destination, though our current trading laws aren't going to make our city that.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#90 Post by rev » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:56 pm

Firstly, Ill answer Pauls post.
It's about choice, something the Union movement isn't clearly threatened by. Workers should have the choice to work whatever shits they want provided they are protected should they chose not to.
That is one way of looking at it. The other way is to see it as a conservative policy, and like most others, destroys our family values. How much time will you be able to spend with your family? Cost of living keeps going up, petrol, food, clothes, bills. It wont be a choice of, "oh, I want a bit of extra cash to splurge", it will be "I need to take the extra shifts so I can afford to live".
How race problems has Australia had over the last 11 years of a Howard Government? I can only remember Cronulla - a few red necks and some equally racist Lebanese. Now compare this to the rest of the world and Australia is one of the most harmonious places to live. It's simply wrong to suggest otherwise.
Really? Only Cronulla? You must have been living under a rock since 9/11. Do you know how much abuse the islamic communities recieved after 9/11? The Islamic college at Croydon had to be locked down numerous times, other times it was shut down and students/teachers sent home. Bomb/death threats against teachers/students, the school it self.
Women walking down the street wearing a headscarf abused and harassed.
The Mosque on torrens road had bomb threats etc. Threatening phone calls.

Harmonious place to live? Tell that to our indigenous people who aren't given a fair go unless they have money coming out their asses.
Go up to Coober Pedy and other such towns, see the prejudice against Aboriginals.
Clearly a sad case but are you suggesting a refugee who pays $10,000 to a people smuggler should be welcomed into Australia over some poor bastard in Somalia who has to wait his turn? Most refugees who make their own way to Australia are surely not in fear of their lives - they are hoping for a better life. Fair enough, but where is the justice in letting someone who arrives by boat take the place of someone who's patiently waiting for their turn?
Where did I make any suggestion they should be welcomed or even allowed into Australia?
Are you even aware the navy was not allowed to pick up the illegal's, that the Tampa had to come to their rescue? Guess who gives the military their orders?
Are you even aware that Howard LIED to the Australian people about the events that occured out there? Children over board ring any bells? He used scare mongering tactics to win that election.

I can't support the Iraq war but to gloat about it's failings is a bit much. Firstly, Australia would have contributed troops under a Labour government - our two greatest allies are Britain and the US. Secondly, Howard followed the same advice provided by the British LABOUR government. Finally, if there weren't so many cowardly politicans who ignored Iraq for years then maybe the conflict could have been avoided.
Can you tell me, what did Iraq do that warranted it being invaded ILLEGALLY, without United Nations Security Council authorisation for war?
Oh wait, they had WMD's right? Wrong. They had none. The United Nations inspectors confirmed this. The rest of the world knew this was the case. Dont tell me Paul, that you still believe it was about terroristzzzz and nuclear weapons? Even after the Howard government admitted it was about securing oil supplies?
Even though the first thing American troops did was go and secure the oil fields and plants?
Even though no WMD were found?
Even though it has been revealed that the Bush administration manipulated intelligence and lied in front of the world at the United Nations?
You honestly believe that Howard did not know?
Again, it's about choice. What would happen if a worker did want to work a late night shift? There'd be a picket line full of Union thugs calling him a 'scab' in no time!! I don't think anyone's anti union, what I object to is the bullying and intimidation and the lack of respect for individual choice when negotiating employment conditions. There has to be a balance...
See above.
Also, your against Union bullying and intimidation tactics. What about Liberal Party scare mongering and outright lies? Your right there has to be a balance. The Unions are the counter to the conservatives in this country. Why do you think the Howard governemnt did all it could to destroy the Union movement? He even targeted student councils at Universities, which actually provided services for students on campus.
That picket line comment is a bit melodramatic.

Now Crawf.
Crawf I lived through education funding cuts in primary school. Believe me, I noticed it and believe me, public schools suffered greatly.
High interest rates? Interest rates are not set by the government Crawf, seriously, stop paying so much attention to Liberal party propaganda. The Reserve Bank is independent of the government, and while domestic factors influence rates(obviously what the government does), so do external matters. Howard likes to take credit for things out of his control, like the mining boom, but he wouldn't take the credit for 6 interest rate rises in a row after he promised they wouldn't rise under his government.
It doesn't matter if we re-elected Howard or elected Rudd on Saturday, interest rates will go up again.
Our economy will also remain strong, regardless of who is in government. The mining boom will ensure this. China's growth isn't going to slow any time soon. There's a stack load of mines in SA that will in the next half a decade become operational. This will further push our economy up. Liberal or Labor, it makes no difference. China's growth, does.
Don't be taken in by cheap Liberal propaganda.

Its called a weekend. Retail workers have them, they also have days off Crawf. You prioritise your time. Its part of growing up. If they cant hack it and cant manage their time, then they should find another career in another industry.

There's a Coles, Woolworths and Foodland near my house, and all stay open till 7 on weekdays.
As for your comment about me not having any idea, I seem to be able to form my own opinion, come to my own conclusions, think for my self, where as your every post is a repeat of what has been said on the tv or what someone above has just posted. I often read posts here and on SSC, and think, hmm, interesting, then read your posts, and think to my self, didn't i just read that a second ago...
Are you talking about convinience stores or supermarkets now?

What's wrong with the mini-marts in service stations like BP? They have everything basically.
Sure, its a little more expensive, but while your sitting here bagging the Unions for a lack of 24/7 shopping hours, sit and think why our wages haven't kept up with the rises in cost of living in the last 11 years.

Who said it's a bad thing.
Your argument that they have it interstate, so we must have it, is lame and makes no sense at all. It is without basis.
I actually think longer trading hours, especially during the summer at least, would be a good thing. Not only for our selves, but for tourists too. Although I think the whole "omg tourists come to our city and find it shut" is a bit overblown.
But I'm not seeing any concise and strong argument from you as to why it should happen, just that other states have it, so we should copy them.
Put up a valid argument for a change, without repeating what others have said.