Michael Harbison re-elected as Lord Mayor

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Michael Harbison re-elected as Lord Mayor

#16 Post by crawf » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:10 pm

Well done Harbo and I hope to see Adelaide continue to improve. Thats a shame you didn't get in David, hopefully you have a better chance in the next election.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#17 Post by Shuz » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:14 pm

Well done Harbo for your successful re-election. What were some of your electoral pledges that you'll deliver in your upcoming term?
I look forward to the completion of the Rundle Convergence project, and the support that you have for the trams and green developments.
Did you not say that you were considering a review of the development guidelines? I would hope that you can lead the way to lift height restrictions in the city, at least significantly so that we are able to progress comparably to Perth and Brisbane.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Will » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:43 pm

i too would like to add my voice for calls at lifting or scrapping our current height restrictions. Some height restrictions are completely appropriate for areas around Hutt Street or East Terrace, but in the actual core of the CBD, there should not be height restrictions, or at the very least increase them by at-least 25m.

LukeMeadows
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#19 Post by LukeMeadows » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:56 pm

Hey
This is my first post, But i have been following the site for some time now.

I just wanted to say i am very sorry you didnt get in David, I was hoping you would, and mentioned you to a few builders i know.
They too were hoping you would get in.
Lets hope the next vote will work better for you.

Congrats on getting so far though!!

Luke

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Norman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:59 am

Well done Harbo and better luck next time to David, all of us at S-A are very happy the way things went (except for David missing out on a few votes). Let the progress begin I say!

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Al » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:25 am

Well done Michael and it's a shame you didn't get in David. Better luck next time. You'll get my support then too.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by Paulns » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:52 am

momentkiller wrote:I would hope that you can lead the way to lift height restrictions in the city, at least significantly so that we are able to progress comparably to Perth and Brisbane.
Totally agree with this one, I want to see some major height in Adelaide!!!! Adelaide has the most boring flat skyline of any mainland capital city excluding Darwin which obviously has tropical cyclones to worry about......
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by omada » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:24 am

Echoing the sentiment expressed on this site, bad luck David, but as you can see you have a great deal of support from us here at the site... It's great to see someone passionate about where they live and actually willing to get off their proverbial and do something about it!

And of course congrats to Harbo!

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by rogue » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:39 am

So David, where to from here?

Will you be lobbying on behalf on the younger generation in the CBD?

keepadelaidealive
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#25 Post by keepadelaidealive » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:34 pm

rogue wrote:So David, where to from here?

Will you be lobbying on behalf on the younger generation in the CBD?
I'm very passionate about the exodus of young people from SA, especially the city and I will continue to look for new ways to do my bit to reverse this trend. Adelaide has an enormous amount to offer, sometimes more than people give it credit for, but young people are its future and we need to keep them invigorated so they stay.

You haven't heard the last of me :) Anyone see me on the ABC News last night?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by Howie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:54 pm

Good to hear you're keeping up the fight David. Sorry I missed the report on ABC. Did anyone manage to tape it?

urban
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by urban » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:10 pm

David, bad luck on missing out. The low turn out of young voters killed your chances.

I strongly urge you to use the time btwn now & the next election to gain a thorough understanding of urban design principles so that you can go to the next election with a strong plan for the future of the city.

Harbo, congratulations on being re-elected.

The Jan Gehl report "2002 Public Spaces and Public Life : City of Adelaide" has been sitting on the council's shelves for too long now.

The best thing you could do for the city during this term would be to develop in conjunction with the State Govt an infrastructure plan to fulfill the recommendations of this report.

More useable public spaces and additional street level activity would attract more residents and businesses to the city, providing the impetus for taller and more daring buildings.

I recommend all users of this forum and particularly keepadelaidealive todownload this document to see what recommendations have been made. Many of them are complementary to suggestions made on this forum.
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/adcc ... c_life.pdf

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by omada » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:18 pm

What a bizarre coincidence I was looking at Jan Gehl's report just now, I had been looking it for ages...

I just read on http://www.gehlarchitects.dk/melbourne.asp that they have been consulting for Melbourne council for over 20 years..

Maybe Harbo can tell us if this report is heeded by the city councillors these days? Or was it a victim of politics??

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by Norman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:24 pm

Howie wrote:Good to hear you're keeping up the fight David. Sorry I missed the report on ABC. Did anyone manage to tape it?
I missed it too as I was still on the way back from Sydney. Sorry guys.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:04 pm

I also agree with lifting height restrictions in the CBD core. Time for a change :)