Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Blimp
High Rise Poster!

Re: [West Franklin] | 63/54m | 3 x 17-20lvls | Apartments

#2236 Post by Blimp » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:58 pm

ghs wrote:
Blimp wrote:Llessur has hit it on the head, this would appear to be the early stages of creating a strong pedestrian link from the markets etc to Hindley street, the train station and AO. Adelaide's changing and free parking is rightfully being abolished, Its either pay for parking or find an alternate now.
I don't agree. Allowing people to park in the street for free encourages people to come into the city and increases the vibrancy of the CBD.
We've also recently lost car parks on Kintore Avenue.

You need to think about it also from a supply and demand perspective. Less car parking on the street means that private car park operators will push their prices up. I spoke to a guy from Brisbane last week and he said parking their is very expensive, presumably because there's not much supply due to the small CBD there.

I'd be surprised if anybody on this forum thinks that the planter boxes and white posts on Pitt street look good. I don't see the value in it especially when it means less car parks.
Ill agree with you that the planter boxes and posts arent sightly and hopefully they're a temporary measure before something more permanent is installed. However regardless of the removal of free street parking there is still a plethora of parking options available. I cant talk for Brisbane as Im not too familiar with their setups but what is uniquely Adelaide is the amount of private parking facilities, the competition between private operators should keep costs competitive. The few times I've driven too the city I've had no trouble finding a carpark at a reasonable price, and if you do your research im sure you could do even better.

The creating of a strong, pedestrian first link between Adelaide hotspots will create its own vibrancy. The laneway upgrades of the past have been a resounding success imo and the ACC should continue to pursue it. Cars and their requirements and constraints prevent these laneways from meeting their maximum potential so I welcome the removal of onstreet parking for the purpose of enhancing pedestrian experience.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2237 Post by mshagg » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:08 pm

ghs wrote: I live in the city, so why would I go to the suburbs to shop, mate ?
Haha. I live in the city but if im feeling particularly lazy Hilton woolies is only a 5 minute drive!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2238 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:14 pm

ghs wrote:The footpath is too congested ??

Give me a break, this is Adelaide not New York

I would imagine that the planter boxes will have to go to allow for the demolition of the church. Hopefully they
will never come back.
If you want to drive to a supermarket, there are hundreds out there in the suburbs with plenty of free car parks close by.
The Central Market is one of Adelaide's best attractions. Shouldn't there be as much car parking as possible nearby to allow people to go there ??
Ever walked down Pitt Street during lunch time, morning peak, evening peak or any time on Friday? Because I walk down at least a few times a week as I work around the corner and I can tell you the current footpath is woefully inadequate. The extended footpath is most welcome by those who use it.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2239 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:19 pm

ghs wrote:I am looking forward to the new supermarket. The only supermarket outside of Rundle Mall in the Adelaide CBD is the Coles on Grote street and
I am sick to death of trying to find a car park nearby.

I've never experienced anything more frustrating then spending 20 minutes circling around in my car after a hard day at work trying to find a park
near Coles. Adelaide City council hasn't helped the situation by replacing car parks in Pitt street with pathetic planter boxes as seen in the photo below. It's an absolute disgrace.
aw poor dittums

you are the perfect example of what is wrong with the thinking in this city

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2240 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Norman wrote: Ever walked down Pitt Street during lunch time, morning peak, evening peak or any time on Friday? Because I walk down at least a few times a week as I work around the corner and I can tell you the current footpath is woefully inadequate. The extended footpath is most welcome by those who use it.
but where will the conservatives park their cars, they might start posting letters to The Advertiser or something

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2241 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:25 pm

ghs wrote: I spoke to a guy from Brisbane last week and he said parking their is very expensive, presumably because there's not much supply due to the small CBD there.
and you should see how deserted Brisbane CBD is and how hardly any buildings have been constructed over the last 2 decades because of being "anti car" :roll:

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#2242 Post by Spurdo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:27 pm

jk1237 wrote:
but where will the conservatives park their cars, they might start posting letters to The Advertiser or something
f**king cagers

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2243 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:29 pm

This thread reads like the comments section of AdelaideNow. :roll:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#2244 Post by Spurdo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:30 pm

jk1237 wrote:
and you should see how deserted Brisbane CBD is and how hardly any buildings have been constructed over the last 2 decades because of being "anti car" :roll:
From experience the same people who complain about councils being "anti car" are usually the same people who say "anti racist means anti white" /s

ghs

#2245 Post by ghs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:45 pm

Nathan wrote:
ghs wrote:I live in the city, so why would I go to the suburbs to shop, mate ?
Why the hell would you want to drive to the Central Market then?

After a hard days work in the suburbs quite often I drive down grote street
to get to my residence in the city. Obviously on some days it's useful to stop at the
supermarket on the way home.

Waewick

#2246 Post by Waewick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:15 pm

ghs wrote:
Blimp wrote:Llessur has hit it on the head, this would appear to be the early stages of creating a strong pedestrian link from the markets etc to Hindley street, the train station and AO. Adelaide's changing and free parking is rightfully being abolished, Its either pay for parking or find an alternate now.
I don't agree. Allowing people to park in the street for free encourages people to come into the city and increases the vibrancy of the CBD.
We've also recently lost car parks on Kintore Avenue.

You need to think about it also from a supply and demand perspective. Less car parking on the street means that private car park operators will push their prices up. I spoke to a guy from Brisbane last week and he said parking their is very expensive, presumably because there's not much supply due to the small CBD there.

I'd be surprised if anybody on this forum thinks that the planter boxes and white posts on Pitt street look good. I don't see the value in it especially when it means less car parks.
Disagree.

Free car parks just increase traffic as people drive around looking for free parking.

All parking should come at a cost given it incurs a cost. We have the technology so all street parking should be priced to reflect demand.

I'd love to read any study that suggests free parking = vibrancy.

Waewick

Re: Beer Garden

#2247 Post by Waewick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:37 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/sout ... y-comments

So no infrastructure is not only an Adelaide issue.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#2248 Post by Blimp » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:58 pm

Waewick wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/sout ... y-comments

So no infrastructure is not only an Adelaide issue.
On a side note, the herald sun comments section gives ours a run for its money!

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#2249 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 am

I thought I'd stick my head up here to inform everyone that I was told yesterday by one of Kate Ellis' staffers that Kate has 'nothing to do with the SDA'. So I've been wrong all this time.

Back to the future development of our city..,

rhino

#2250 Post by rhino » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:19 am

ghs wrote:After a hard days work in the suburbs quite often I drive down grote street
to get to my residence in the city. Obviously on some days it's useful to stop at the
supermarket on the way home.
First he writes "I live in the city so why would I go to the suburbs to shop" , then he writes "After a hard day's work in the suburbs ..to get to my residence in the city."

Why not stop at one of the many inner suburban shopping centres on your way past then, and park for free, Precious?
cheers,
Rhino