Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Beer Garden

#2251 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:47 am

stumpjumper wrote:I thought I'd stick my head up here to inform everyone that I was told yesterday by one of Kate Ellis' staffers that Kate has 'nothing to do with the SDA'. So I've been wrong all this time.
SDA?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2252 Post by Goodsy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:32 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
stumpjumper wrote:I thought I'd stick my head up here to inform everyone that I was told yesterday by one of Kate Ellis' staffers that Kate has 'nothing to do with the SDA'. So I've been wrong all this time.
SDA?
Seventh Day Adventist? Or maybe the Shop, Distributive & Allied Employees Association.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2253 Post by Wayno » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:53 am

Blimp wrote:
Waewick wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/sout ... y-comments

So no infrastructure is not only an Adelaide issue.
On a side note, the herald sun comments section gives ours a run for its money!
AND Melburnians are rejecting increased density in existing suburbs. Definitely not an Adelaide-only thing. They've even organised a formal 'Planning Backlash' group.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... b8ea0462de
Melburnians reject plan to build most new housing in established suburbs

MELBURNIANS have rejected a State Government plan for 70 per cent of the city’s new housing to be built in ­established suburbs.

People were concerned it would mean the end of Melbourne “as we know it”.

Submissions to the government’s urban development blueprint, released yesterday, revealed anger that the higher density target would harm the livability and character of neighbourhoods. Veteran residents’ campaigner Mary Drost, who lodged a submission through her Planning Backlash group, said if implemented thePlan Melbourne Refresh policy would ruin suburbs.

“They want to cram more into our existing suburbs with all the added congestion, mounting pressure on services and lack of infrastructure to deal with it,” she said.

Planning Backlash is holding a public meeting this afternoon at the Camberwell Civic Centre to discuss the effect of population growth and state planning policies.

But Planning Minister Richard Wynne said the government was keen to see more housing in such areas.

“It’s a case of getting the balance between medium density and suburban amenity right and we need to make it happen,” he said.

This month, Mr Wynne controversially intervened to enforce higher density development in some eastern suburbs shopping strips.

Urban Development Institute of Australia state chief executive Danni Addison said the target of 70 per cent new housing in established suburbs and 30 per cent in greenfields/growth areas was too blunt an instrument to ensure greater affordability and supply.

Ms Addison said developers had provided a much-needed release valve for the city’s heated property market in recent years through inner-city apartments and house-and-land packages on the fringe.

“Promoting housing choice and accessibility across established and growing suburbs is critical to making sure our city remains liveable and affordable,” she said.

More than 300 submissions were received in response to the government’s Plan Melbourne Refreshdiscussion paper, released last October.

Mr Wynne said there was support for the plan to include measures to deal with climate change, public transport and affordable housing.

Melbourne’s population is expected to nearly double to eight million by 2050.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#2254 Post by Waewick » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:17 am

Good to see that we aren't the only ones to suffer these things.

I saw an article about a raised bike way, didn't even bother with the comments section.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2255 Post by Goodsy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:15 pm

Waewick wrote:Good to see that we aren't the only ones to suffer these things.

I saw an article about a raised bike way, didn't even bother with the comments section.
But the comment section of news articles is the best spectator sport on the planet, especially if you create a fake account and join in the conversation

The Scooter Guy

#2256 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:31 pm

It's 25 Years since Dazzeland opened!
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... c69a9ab5f1

As I'm not a subscriber yet, can anyone who's subscribed post all the photos from the article to here please?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#2257 Post by stumpjumper » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:48 pm

SmackUp is right. SDA is the Shoppies Union, the Shop, Distributive and Allied Trades Union, the one that owns half the Labor MPs in SA and which does nice little deals with employers like Coles and Woolworths that are against the interests of its members. Look it up. The SDA, which is so powerful it can direct government policy, should be deregistered.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2258 Post by monotonehell » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Again?
Adelaide considers 2030 Commonwealth Games bid

A bid for Adelaide to stage the 2030 Commonwealth Games is being considered by the South Australian Government.

A committee with representatives from various sporting organisations has been set up to consider the logistics of staging the games and will audit existing sports facilities.

Premier Jay Weatherill said their work could take the next couple of years.

"We know that we do have great stadiums, we do have the capacity to put on a great set of sporting events — we've demonstrated that in the past and so we'll be working through that on a bipartisan basis because this will require a commitment across both major parties across a number of decades," he said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-03/a ... pe/7565262
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2259 Post by Goodsy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Iconic furniture store Le Cornu at Keswick in Adelaide's inner south-west is set to close down in the next six months.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-06/l ... de/7572802

Llessur2002

#2260 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:31 am

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2261 Post by mshagg » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:25 pm

stumpjumper wrote:SmackUp is right. SDA is the Shoppies Union, the Shop, Distributive and Allied Trades Union, the one that owns half the Labor MPs in SA and which does nice little deals with employers like Coles and Woolworths that are against the interests of its members. Look it up. The SDA, which is so powerful it can direct government policy, should be deregistered.
Isnt that the entire base of the party's right faction? Lol, how can Ellis suggest she's not associated with the SDA when she comes from labor unity? Not that the SA branch has much relevance at a federal level either way.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#2262 Post by how good is he » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:49 am

I still don't quite understand how the govt was able to build [the O-Bahn extension] through the parklands without any real problem/adversity but can't (or won't try again) for a purpose built pit building/grandstand in Victoria Pk?

bits
Legendary Member!

#2263 Post by bits » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:59 am

how good is he wrote:I still don't quite understand how the govt was able to build this through the parklands without any real problem/adversity but can't (or won't try again) for a purpose built pit building/grandstand in Victoria Pk?
Public transport is a community service to be used by many every day of the year forever. Plus actual impact on usable parkland space is extremely small.
VS
A grandstand for a commercial event held for 4 days a year with no assurances it will continue year to year. Plus actual impact of usable parkland space is extremely large.

The 2 are polar opposites.

Waewick

#2264 Post by Waewick » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:03 am

bits wrote:
how good is he wrote:I still don't quite understand how the govt was able to build this through the parklands without any real problem/adversity but can't (or won't try again) for a purpose built pit building/grandstand in Victoria Pk?
Public transport is a community service to be used by many every day of the year forever. Plus actual impact on usable parkland space is extremely small.
VS
A grandstand for a commercial event held for 4 days a year with no assurances it will continue year to year. Plus actual impact of usable parkland space is extremely large.

The 2 are polar opposites.
there are heaps of sports that use the hard surface race course (mainly cycling based)

point is, if the pit straight was permanent, it would allow more people to use it who can't afford to build one.

claybro

#2265 Post by claybro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:58 pm

how good is he wrote:I still don't quite understand how the govt was able to build [the O-Bahn extension] through the parklands without any real problem/adversity but can't (or won't try again) for a purpose built pit building/grandstand in Victoria Pk?
The greatest tragedy with the refusal of permanent facilities in Vic park, was the subsequent demise of the turf racing. Building of the multiple use facility would have ensured the continued use for horse racing, allowing for summer twilight corporate meets in what would have been the only inner city racecourse in Australia, and one of the few in the world. This would have been worth the project even if the streetcars decided to move on. Adelaide is now left with one second rate racecourse stuck out in suburbia.