Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Beer Garden

#736 Post by AtD » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:27 am

My "brain explosion" was triggered by the fact the sun was so high in the sky and the city was so crowded that to be asked to leave the store I was browsing was an unexpected shock. It's a shame.

Maybe it's because I've become accustomed to the practices in the eastern cities?

It wasn't a decision by the store owner or the sales staff but one by a bureaucrat (why does this phone have no spellcheck?)

Mono: partying is for when the sun goes down, which is 3.5 hrs after 5pm at this time of year. Who gets up at 9am on a weekend anyway?

I am not sober. Taxi!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#737 Post by monotonehell » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 am

AtD wrote:My "brain explosion" was triggered by the fact the sun was so high in the sky and the city was so crowded that to be asked to leave the store I was browsing was an unexpected shock. It's a shame...
Mono: partying is for when the sun goes down, which is 3.5 hrs after 5pm at this time of year. Who gets up at 9am on a weekend anyway?

I am not sober. Taxi!
LOLZ so daylight saving and summer is to blame then? ;)

Sometimes I think perhaps that the stores not need to be open longer, but maybe later on some days. I and three others were asked to leave a store on Rundle Street at 10pm friday night. Rundle Street retail closes later (but also opens later 10-6, 10-10 fridays).

The thing is the public only have X funds to spend, it costs Y an hour to keep a store open. If you increase Y the store makes less profit. Having shops open all hours just isn't profitable, no matter how much recreational shopping you offer.

And partying starts when I say so! Fumo opens at 6 you know ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#738 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 am

:lol: :lol:
Who is this imposter and what have you done with the real AtD?

Did you let someone know your details or forget to log out via someone elses mobile by any chance AtD

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#739 Post by Will » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:42 am

AtD wrote:My "brain explosion" was triggered by the fact the sun was so high in the sky and the city was so crowded that to be asked to leave the store I was browsing was an unexpected shock. It's a shame.

Maybe it's because I've become accustomed to the practices in the eastern cities?

It wasn't a decision by the store owner or the sales staff but one by a bureaucrat (why does this phone have no spellcheck?)

I am not sober. Taxi!
But there isn't 24 hour shopping in the eastern states either. In fact shops close at around the same time throughout Australia on a Saturday. So how does this make Adelaide a backwards place when it is standard practice to close shops at 5-6 on a Saturday throughout Australia?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#740 Post by Will » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:28 am

I've got my own brain explosion to make.

I've just come back after a few weeks in Queensland, and although their News Ltd newspaper prints the usual sensationalist crap, I never read an article which made me feel depressed about living there.

Sadly, the same cannot be said about our Advertiser. Negativity has been increasing in the Advertiser over the last few years. Today, even positive stories are given a nagative twist, not to mention the huge amount of opinion pieces which essentially promote the same message "Melbourne is better than Adelaide". Every time I read the Advertiser I feel depressed about living in Adelaide.

For example in todays Sunday Mail, an opinion piece by Lainie Anderson goes on to rubbish our restaurants for not being up to the same standard as those in melbourne. Despite accepting that Melbourne's much larger population plays a big role in attracting overseas celebrity chefs to open their Australian restaurants there, she nevertheless makes the extremely unfair comparison with melbourne and the message that you get is that Melbourne is much better than Adelaide. I genuinely think that deep down lainie Anderson hates Adelaide in that every week I have to endure her weekly attack on Adelaide as to why we are not as good as melbourne. I doubt the Melbourne newspapers have weekly opinion pieces bemoaning how much better Paris and London are to Melbourne. So why do we?

And a few pages later there is an opinion piece by Des Ryan, who goes on to rubbish Adelaide by claiming that we are some backwater for not having an architectural icon that is famous worldwide. He says that we should have some building that is as world famous as the Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building or Big Ben. (Since when is Adelaide a world city?). How ridiculous. There is only 1 world famous building in Australia, and it is the Sydney Opera House. Neither, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth have an icon which is famous worldwide, so why aren't they criticised as being backwards?

I am sick of this.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#741 Post by Shuz » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Advertiser / Sunday Mail = :toilet:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#742 Post by Shuz » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Advertiser / Sunday Mail = :toilet:

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#743 Post by Hooligan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:51 pm

jk1237 wrote::lol: :lol:
Who is this imposter and what have you done with the real AtD?

Did you let someone know your details or forget to log out via someone elses mobile by any chance AtD

Sorry, I stole ATD's password

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#744 Post by AtD » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:19 am

Back in Canberra now, a bit more sober and less cheerful.
monotonehell wrote:The thing is the public only have X funds to spend, it costs Y an hour to keep a store open. If you increase Y the store makes less profit. Having shops open all hours just isn't profitable, no matter how much recreational shopping you offer.
I don't believe that is an argument against deregulation. That's a decision for the business to make on its own, taking into account its individual location, demographics, costs, etc. If deregulated shopping hours lead to no increased opening times, then so be it - nothing was lost and I would have one less thing to complain about.

(I wouldn't be surprised if the only tenant on the Mall to take up extended hours was Woolworths)

Will: I can assure you that 5pm Saturday is quite early closing time for many stores in both Melbourne and Sydney's CBD. Many large rural towns have 24hr supermarkets.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#745 Post by Hooligan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:46 pm

If you turn a map of Adelaide upside down, The Lefevre Peninsula looks like a penis.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#746 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Today, I went past Water World & the Gully Gusher is now being demolished! :cry:
Has anyone taken photos of the Gully Gusher before, during & after demolition?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#747 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#748 Post by Shuz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 am

As we draw to the end of the first month of 2010 - I thought it was just me, but I felt that it had been an unusually warm summer; not so much in regards to heatwaves, but that the days just seemed warmer than usual. So I went and had a look for myself and checked out the BOM stats; and suffice to say, I'm alarmed.

The mean temperature for the month of Janurary between 1977 and 2009 is 29.1c.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/ ... 3090.shtml

The mean temperature for January 2010 was 31.4. A variation of +2.5c .
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJD ... test.shtml

I had a quick glance over some of the stats for other years, and it seems lot more anomalies have been recorded post-millenium, with summer averages very out of sync with the mean, variating -/+ 3.0c. Scary, really.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#749 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:17 pm

While I'm not saying that global warming doesn't exist (I somewhat agree it does), I caution you to make sure you're not confusing climate with weather.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#750 Post by Omicron » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:08 pm

So, does everyone have their postcodes and names ready?

A frightening state of affairs indeed, and one that appears to have infiltrated both sides of Parliament. How disgraceful.