Melbourne risks becoming 'a backwater like Adelaide': Brumby

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1 Post by rogue » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:27 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 149986.htm
Posted 1 hour 9 minutes ago
Updated 33 minutes ago

Victorian Premier John Brumby has defended the channel deepening project (ABC News: Timothy Marshall)

Victorian Premier John Brumby says Melbourne will become a backwater like Adelaide if dredging in Port Phillip Bay does not go ahead.

He made the comments while defending the $1 billion project to deepen Melbourne's shipping channels, which is due to start in February.

There have been ongoing protests against dredging, but Mr Brumby insists it is vital if Melbourne is to remain the nation's biggest container port.

"If you want Melbourne to be a backwater," he said. "If you want Melbourne eventually to be an Adelaide, as someone described it the other day, well, don't do this project, and Melbourne will just die a slow death."
What a peanut!

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Melbourne risks becoming 'a backwater like Adelaide': Brumby

#2 Post by Pikey » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by stelaras » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:40 pm

what a tool!

He hasnt even got his fact correct! Our channels are the deepest in the nation (along with Sydney and Brisbane) at a depth of 14.2m. This would make us leaders not backwater!

I hope that their alleged dredging gets stopped by the nimbys...that way more freight will come our way seeing that our channels can handle those monster tankers coming out of china and singapore!

I posted my comments on news.com.au

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Will » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:43 pm

We should impose economic sanctions on Victoria.

At least our premier should give him a call and abuse him. What a monumental wanker! :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Will » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:08 pm

The more I think about this the more angry I'm getting. I am filled with rage that a senior representative; a premier to be in fact would make such a damaging and outrageously hurtful comment. Our dignity has been raped.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by stelaras » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Will wrote:The more I think about this the more angry I'm getting. I am filled with rage that a senior representative; a premier to be in fact would make such a damaging and outrageously hurtful comment. Our dignity has been raped.

you should read the comments on new.com.au

would make your blood evaporate!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Cruise » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:11 pm

such comments by someone in a position like that are not justified

No Clever Alias
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by No Clever Alias » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Unfortunately we are a backwater... Brumby's right!

And we're a backwater of our own making, due to the insular, backward looking attitude of the majority of our population.

The truth hurts, but denial of the facts mean Adelaide will never move forward!
There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth - not going all the way, and not starting. Buddha

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:08 pm

No Clever Alias wrote:Unfortunately we are a backwater... Brumby's right!

And we're a backwater of our own making, due to the insular, backward looking attitude of the majority of our population.

The truth hurts, but denial of the facts mean Adelaide will never move forward!
Don't get me wrong, I understand that we have many problems, but there is a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. What Brumby did was an unjustified attack on this state, it was pure criticism. What this state needs is constructive criticism. Nothing will change by attacking this state and calling it a backwater. In fact I suggest such attacks will actually have a negative impact, because if SA is a backwater, what is the point of staying behind and fixing it up?

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#10 Post by kenget » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:24 pm

Rann's response...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 150212.htm
Adelaide no backwater: Rann hits back at Vic

Posted 43 minutes ago
Updated 37 minutes ago
SA Premier Mike Rann (file photo)

SA Premier Mike Rann says John Brumby's comments about Adelaide are pre-season football sledging. (ABC News)

* Map: Adelaide 5000

South Australian Premier Mike Rann has likened his Victorian counterpart's reference to Adelaide being a backwater to football sledging.

Victorian Premier John Brumby has warned that Victoria will become a backwater like Adelaide if dredging of Melbourne's Port Phillip Bay does not go ahead.

Mr Rann says nobody in the business community thinks that Adelaide is a backwater.

"What we have actually done is, after we won the air warfare destroyer and beat Victoria for that, we went ahead and dredged our port," he said.

"It's been finished, it was finished a year ago and we did so without stuffing up the environment, but look I think this is just a bit of pre-football season sledging and you sort of get used to it from Victorians who are sounding increasingly insecure."
I loved his comeback! :D

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by Norman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:40 pm

This is funny :D

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Will » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:05 pm

I was having a read of the comments posted on the Herald Sun website. I was expecting the Victorians would take this opportunity to attack our state, but I was actually pleased at the maturity expressed by the Vics. Sure there are a few negative comments, but many are actually quite embarrassed by the comments made by Brumby.

Sadly the same cannot be said about the comments posted at Adelaide now. It is sad that our own people hate this state so much.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:10 pm

Looks like Melbourne is going to become a 'backwater' again, if Brumby stays in charge. Alot of victorians can't stand him, and with comments like this it wouldn't surprise me if he loses the election.

The way the Advertiser has reported it, just confirms we need a new major newspaper. I'm not going to bother reading the comments, its always full of junk from kiddies or people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Nice comeback!

I would have slipped in something about us understanding the comment, because like the rest of Australia, we understand that Victoria is full of Victorians. :)

Will409
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Will409 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:21 pm

I have a feeling that Brumby would be shitting himself if he bothered having a look at the amount of mining that is eventually going to take place here. And Rann, thankyou for rubbing the Vics face in it when it comes to dredging the Port.

Anyone have any idea what his email address is? I'm thinking of plugging the site to him. TAKE THAT MEXICO!
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.