Mining Rip Off

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Edgar
Legendary Member!

Mining Rip Off

#1 Post by Edgar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:49 am

Is it just me only that thinks giant mining companies are ripping off minerals from SA and nothing has flowed into our economy and the whole state in general?

Or is it too early to judge and we need to wait for another 10 years or so to see the difference? There has been so much talk about mineral resources in SA and how we are the next mining boom town, but I don't see anything happening, even with the slows due to GFC, but surely it must have some impact by now.

I have a gut feeling we will not prosper much from the mining industries afterall.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

arki
High Rise Poster!

Re: Mining Rip Off

#2 Post by arki » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:56 am

While I am no expert in this field, I have always felt that the whole "mining boom" has been talked up by the government and media since it began some years ago. I think that we will see some kind of benefits in the long term (perhaps 10 years from now) but nothing close to what was speculated. I think rural areas would be the only ones really benefiting from the "boom" with increase in population even if that is only temporary.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Wayno » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:42 pm

Edgar wrote:Is it just me only that thinks giant mining companies are ripping off minerals from SA and nothing has flowed into our economy and the whole state in general?
Please look at mining in SA as a fledgling industry, and then ask this question: Is short-term pain appropriate for long-term gain? and remember that short term = 7+ yrs, and long term = 2+ decades...

The Govt can quite rightly be proud of what they've achieved in the last decade - it's foundational. We've managed to eke out $150m per annum of royalties in an industry where digging a shallow hole (e.g. in WA & QLD) is much easier & cheaper than digging deep holes (which is the case across much of SA due to our overburden, not to mention other geographic complexities).

Are our royalty levels too low? well yes - but no. We must wait until we reach 'critical mass' before increasing the tax grab. I'm not sure what constitutes critical mass, but it's basically having enough operating mines so that other Miners are attracted towards us (by the fact they can operate profitably by sharing/avoiding many of the massive infrastructure costs).

You also need to consider this: It's a core goal of govt to create a balanced & growing economy that can smoothly navigate the global economic ebbs & flows. In 2009 SA received ~$150m worth of mining royalties, which is not HUGE dollars, but it's a BIG reliable cashflow, and is helping SA maintain its AAA rating, and most importantly -> it enables the govt to borrow money at cheaper rates!! Suddenly we can afford to do things like build freeways, stadia, tram lines. This point is often under appreciated.

Lastly, we'll NEVER run out of resources. Imagine a dog digs a hole in the Adelaide Oval outfield (where the hole represents our current mines, and the oval represents our outback). Well that's where we are today. Put 10 dogs out there (representing our future mining prospects - at least in our lifetimes) and the impact is still very small (although Les Burdett may disagree).
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:09 am

Hey Edgar, did my post above answer your concern? Do you still think we are being ripped off?

I personally believe the Govt does not communicate well enough about what's going on from an SA mining perspective. Maybe that's the issue here?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by ghs » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:33 pm

Mining can obviously have a major impact on the development of a city. Take Perth for example.
Given that this link exists between Mining and development, I was thinking the other day that
we should setup a mining section somewhere on this website.

I think it would be good to track how things are going in the Mining industry in SA and possibly have
a separate thread for each major mine.

We could also have a map with the various mines in SA such as Prominent Hill, Olympic Dam etc.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:22 am

ghs wrote:I was thinking the other day that we should setup a mining section somewhere on this website.
ghs, did you notice this? http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=12&t=287. I give overall mining updates every 6-9months or so.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:40 am

Wayno wrote:
ghs wrote:I was thinking the other day that we should setup a mining section somewhere on this website.
ghs, did you notice this? http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=12&t=287. I give overall mining updates every 6-9months or so.
It's nice to know that the regulars notice and appreciate your efforts Wayne. :lol:

I read everything you post.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Wayno » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:46 am

monotonehell wrote:I read everything you post.
Hence the PMs on my grammar (or lack thereof) :lol: