Adelaide too decentralised

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

Adelaide too decentralised

#1 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:02 pm

The announcement that Adelaide is to have a new FINA standard aquatics centre, in Marion of all places, has inspired me to bring up this issue that has long frustrated me about Adelaide.

Too many of Adelaide's premier venues/facilities are too far from the city centre. The proposed swimming centre is just the latest addition to a long list.

AAMI Stadium is one such venue. A 50,000 seat stadium and is miles out of the city where there is not much transport servicig it and nothing around it. While West Lakes is a nice area it is nothing more than suburbia. Not where the city's premier sporting arena should be.

Would Melbourne ever do such a thing as build a premier stadium well out into the suburbs? Well they did, it was called Waverley Park and they realised the mistake and demolished it in preference for a city arena.

Adelaide has a brilliantly located arena in the heart of the city - Adelaide Oval. Yet it doesn't get used nearly as much as it should. And that is mainly due to the fact it is virtually a museum, a relic, and people are too scared to bring it into the 21st century. People are too scared that modernising the venue and increasing capacity will ruin it. Well despite the fact that it looks shocking now anyway with the new eastern stands modern does not have to mean ugly. The MCG is a hallowed arena, like Adelaide Oval, but unlike Adelaide Oval, the MCG has been constantly improved and is still relevant for more than two or three events a year. The MCG is considered a greater venue than Adelaide Oval, and that's because it has moved with the times. I'm all for preserving heritage and I'm sure something could be done tastefully. Imagine this - the facade of the western stand of Adelaide Oval kept as part of a new larger grandstand. A large grandstand that joins all the way around the oval. Some might ask "what about the beautiful view of the Cathedral, or the Adelaide skyline? Won't grandstands block the wonderful views Adelaide Oval currently enjoys?". Well my answer is to design something that incorporates all that is good about Adelaide Oval currently. Picture a grandstand circling Adelaide Oval, but with a large gap where the cathedral is, which at night would be lit up beautifully. Picture a grandstand that dips in height at the southern end to allow in the view of the city skyline from inside the stadium. A 50,000 seat stadium that would be beautiful, modern and functional, right in the heart of our little city. A night of AFL football would attract 40,000 to games on a regular basis. Imagine the city population increasing by 40,000. We're talking about probably doubling the amount of people that are in the city at such times currently. And unlike West Lakes, people will have something to do, somewhere to go, afterwards. The city and the traders/venues would benefit immensely. As would the general atmosphere and vibrancy. Adelaide needs all the help it can get in that department.

Now on to some other venues (sorry I got a bit carried away :lol: ). The Entertainment Centre and Hindmarsh Stadium. They are close to the city, but not close enough. They should be in the city if possible. For many of the same reasons I've mentioned above. Not only to draw people into the city. But because the city also far better caters for public transport and parking facilities. As close as these venues are to the city they are not really walking distance.

I've seen it mentioned before (as recently as last week by Rex Jory I think it was) but the area above the traintracks on North Terrace is a prime development area, as was the area alongside Sir Donald Bradman Drive near where the train tracks are, but has since been used for a small athletics stadium. An ideal location for an Entertainment Centre would perhaps be along West Terrace somewhere near Grote Street.

It is frustrating that such venues in Adelaide are always built so far away from the city. It is no wonder that Adelaide's transport culture gives such a high priority to cars, and the city centre itself is not always the hub, or hive of activity that it should be. Having such venues so far from downtown Adelaide (to use an American term) really undermines the city itself.

So in my opinion Adelaide has really made some big errors with locating the above mentioned venues and with the latest announcement of a new swimming facility to be constructed at Marion I wonder whether this trend will ever change, let alone be rectified.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Will » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:59 pm

I agree with your opinion in theory, because you are right to claim that putting major pieces of infraestructure like stadiums, the etertainment centre etc should be in the city as it would put that much needed 'buzz' into the CBD.

However the reality is that with Adelaide stretching almost 100km from the northern suburbs to the southernmost suburbs, placing infraestructure in the suburbs is inevitable.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by AtD » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:32 pm

Will wrote:However the reality is that with Adelaide stretching almost 100km from the northern suburbs to the southernmost suburbs, placing infraestructure in the suburbs is inevitable.
Gawler to Victor is a tad over 100km as the crow flies. Munno Para to Aldinga Beach is about 70km.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AG » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:55 pm

I agree completely with what Tyler_Durben has mentioned. Not only would bringing stadiums and facilities into the city centre allow easier access for all, it would also allow and provide opportunity for parts of the city to undergo urban renewal, particularly in the west and south of the CBD.

I do however think that the new swimming centre down south is in a reasonably accessible location, particularly when the Oaklands Interchange is opened.

southsider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by southsider » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:24 am

Maybe in the future they will re-develop Adelaide Oval. Lots of Gardens around Adelaide Oval that could be put to better use.

There is the huge race course over on the eastern side of the city that is rarely used. They could revelop that area into a Super Stadium.

There are definately options for the future.

Waz
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Waz » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:14 pm

southsider wrote:Maybe in the future they will re-develop Adelaide Oval. Lots of Gardens around Adelaide Oval that could be put to better use.

There is the huge race course over on the eastern side of the city that is rarely used. They could revelop that area into a Super Stadium.

"Heritage listings" mean anything to you? Perhaps the phrase "protected parklands"?
You hear it here first...

southsider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by southsider » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:19 pm

Waz wrote:
southsider wrote:Maybe in the future they will re-develop Adelaide Oval. Lots of Gardens around Adelaide Oval that could be put to better use.

"Heritage listings" mean anything to you? Perhaps the phrase "protected parklands"?
Nothing lasts forever my friend.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:54 pm

southsider wrote:
Waz wrote:

Nothing lasts forever my friend.

Heritage listing means forever.