SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Re: SA Economy

#181 Post by Goodsy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:24 pm

rev wrote:
You do realize they actually built a huge extension at ASC for surface ships, that they've been building destroyers at for a few years now right...? :sly:

FYI, a frigate is smaller then a destroyer.
I know, but the submarine and surface ship facilities aren't together. I think there's even a barbed wire fence separating them.

There's no way to really build a surface ship with the submarine facility unless it can fit inside the shed and use the submarine boat lift

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#182 Post by rev » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:57 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
rev wrote:
You do realize they actually built a huge extension at ASC for surface ships, that they've been building destroyers at for a few years now right...? :sly:

I know, but the submarine and surface ship facilities aren't together. I think there's even a barbed wire fence separating them.

There's no way to really build a surface ship with the submarine facility unless it can fit inside the shed and use the submarine boat lift
Ok...

I don't think anyone plans on doing that. Kind of pointless when there's a whole bunch of infrastructure for surface ships right next door as part of the same wider facility.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#183 Post by Goodsy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:21 am

rev wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:
rev wrote:

Ok...

I don't think anyone plans on doing that. Kind of pointless when there's a whole bunch of infrastructure for surface ships right next door as part of the same wider facility.
You did
how can Adelaide build the frigates and submarines simultaneously, if the facilities wont allow for the OPV and frigates to be built simultaneously.
Unless you're implying that the ship building facility is large enough to build 2 kinds of ships at once

rev

#184 Post by rev » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:45 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
You did
how can Adelaide build the frigates and submarines simultaneously, if the facilities wont allow for the OPV and frigates to be built simultaneously.
Unless you're implying that the ship building facility is large enough to build 2 kinds of ships at once
No, that's what a journalist asked the Prime Minister during the press conference.

What I said before that bit you quoted...
An interesting question asked by one journalist, was in relation to the building of the frigates and submarines.
This wasn't the question, but this is basically the gist of it.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#185 Post by Goodsy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:31 pm

rev wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:
You did
No, that's what a journalist asked the Prime Minister during the press conference.

What I said before that bit you quoted...
An interesting question asked by one journalist, was in relation to the building of the frigates and submarines.
This wasn't the question, but this is basically the gist of it.

well... maybe I should have read everything in your post, let's just agree to disagree :D

Vee
Legendary Member!

#186 Post by Vee » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Worth a read.

South Australia: the frontier state for transforming an industrial economy

Renew Economy:
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2016/south-a ... nomy-62193

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#187 Post by Waewick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:09 pm

So the french have won the subs contracts and will largely build things here in SA

for that is great, but I would really like if both sides of politics are going to come out and outline how they are going to build on that fed governmnet handout

what complimentary industries can we be using the subs contract to leverage into? whilst I'll be dead come next build, I would hope that in that time the SA will be able to stand on its own two feet rather than complaining about Federal Government defence contracts again.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#188 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:33 pm

Don't despair Waewick. Maybe an immortality pill will soon be invented. I've got my fingers crossed for us :-) if not then c'est la vie as they say...

Anyways, I'm sooooooo freaking happy that Abbott was dumped as liberal leader.

An excellent outcome for SA.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rev

#189 Post by rev » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Gotta love an election year with a desperate government.

Going to be interesting to see how this pans out.
Good news for the workers at ASC. Frigates and submarines. That's huge.
But I foresee there being problems with the build and integration of the American systems RAN use/will use so the subs are compatible and inter-operable with the destroyers, frigates...And then lets consider the problems the ADF has had dealing with the French and their weapons :banana:
Just wait till the unions find a small crack to exploit :hilarious:

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#190 Post by phenom » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:04 pm

A great outcome for SA and a win against all the propaganda in local media against building locally.

I've become a little sick of reading media comments acting as if there was an 'off the shelf' solution or a risky Collins mk2 on offer. None of the non-nuclear submarines on offer came anywhere near meeting the range requirement of the RAN (or that of the supposedly awful Collins) so there was always going to be new modifications (read: more risk) required. The weapons and communications systems were always going to be from the US so - given the US wasn't part of the CEP due to having no conventional submarines - that's another huge part of the cost (and more risk) - regardless of whether it was built here or not.

The ex head of ASC estimates that of the $50bn total life cost (itself an interesting figure to bandy about when it often isn't used for other acquisitions) only around $15bn is the actual construction cost. Over the estimated construction period that's actually a fairly small portion of the defence budget.

I've no doubt every single setback (and there will be them) will become a media frenzy raising the spectre of the Collins class. Meanwhile of course, Australia signs up to the F35 at an exploding per unit cost when our allies like Canada are backing away from it. Apparently though some people are only bothered by cost overruns when it involves Australia - never mind the endless litany of cost blowouts and procurement fiascos with our predominantly imported defence equipment.

rev

#191 Post by rev » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:31 pm

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#192 Post by Will » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Waewick wrote:So the french have won the subs contracts and will largely build things here in SA

for that is great, but I would really like if both sides of politics are going to come out and outline how they are going to build on that fed governmnet handout

what complimentary industries can we be using the subs contract to leverage into? whilst I'll be dead come next build, I would hope that in that time the SA will be able to stand on its own two feet rather than complaining about Federal Government defence contracts again.
Whilst I agree that the government has a role to play in building the economy, I think we as citizens also need to put some pressure on the entrepreneurs and business in this state to play their role in investing and helping grow the economy as well. After all, I thought the current economic theory is that the private sector is the main driver of job creation.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#193 Post by Waewick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:21 pm

Will wrote:
Waewick wrote:So the french have won the subs contracts and will largely build things here in SA

Whilst I agree that the government has a role to play in building the economy, I think we as citizens also need to put some pressure on the entrepreneurs and business in this state to play their role in investing and helping grow the economy as well. After all, I thought the current economic theory is that the private sector is the main driver of job creation.
I agree with your post.

Not sure how we make up for the decades of lost human capital though without Govt investment?

rev

#194 Post by rev » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:54 am

Will wrote:

Not when it's too hard to do business in this state.
Business bodies have been calling for taxes to be lowered for years.
If I can grow my business and hire more staff because I can afford to due to lower taxes on my business, then I would.(hypothetically speaking)
The loss in taxes from my business directly is made up by the taxes raised from more people working.
More people working means more people have money to spend which flows into other businesses and industries.
If the government wants to create prosperity and employment and attract people to the state they need to make doing business and setting up a business easier and less costly.
I'm not sure if they have been making a start on that or not.

I'm not saying give businesses a free ride but don't strangle them either.

rev

#195 Post by rev » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:43 am

It'll be interesting to see how many are built here. There's a chance the first couple will be built in France, apparently DCNS likes doing it that way, I remember when Greece nearly bought frigates from Framce the deal was the first one or two would be built in France.

I wonder if Turnbull can keep those sorts of specific details a secret till after the election