SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: SA Economy

#211 Post by rev » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:07 am

https://www.competitivealternatives.com ... ol1_en.pdf

from page 12
National results for Australia reflect the combined
results for two major cities, Melbourne and Sydney, with
Adelaide and Brisbane also included in the study.
Among these major cities, Adelaide and Melbourne
are the cost leaders and appear to be in constant
competition for the title of “lowest cost city” in
Australia. These two cities have alternated between first
and second place among the Australian cities compared
in each edition of
Competitive Alternatives
since 2008.
Brisbane has experienced rising costs for industrial
leasing and utilities since 2014. This has pushed
Brisbane’s total business costs above those of Sydney
for the first time in the history of this study
Why no Perth?
And if the cost to do business here/tax wise, is so low, why are businesses still going into administration and shutting down or laying people off?
What else can be and needs to be done by government? Someone more into economics want to elaborate?

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#212 Post by phenom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:32 am

rev wrote:But this is South Australia, where we are stuck with a clumsy Labor government, a non-existent Liberal opposition(unless you consider being a naysayer an effective opposition), and News Corp propaganda and dodgy journalism. Could be worse I suppose.
Just on this... the SA Liberal opposition here is appalling. I mean, I know it's almost become a cliche but it's truly like they actually don't want to win. I think Steven Marshall actually does a reasonably good job given what he's working with but I'm not sure (based on a recent leaflet) that focussing on 2036 is a great idea - is that when they next expect to actually get into government? :lol: Where's the real vision in a relatable timeframe?

People can say what they will about the Olsen era but the fact we were talking about things like the Capital City Tower back in ~2000 or whenever is a world away from today. I can't help imagine the psychological benefit to the city had that one single project gone ahead - and it didn't even involve heaps of office space or anything else to depress city markets. Just something to change the skyline, break the hold of the 'State Bank' towering over the city, set a new standard for what was possible in our capital.

To me, and relevant to a development forum like this, the telling point is that the massive freeing up of development around the city and surrounds had to come from Labor with the development approval and planning changes. One might argue it benefits construction which is heavily unionised but it's also quite a pro-business development. It's hard to say, of course, what the counterfactual would have been in an alternate history but still - I recall my local (Liberal) MP Rachel Sanderson dropping leaflets in my letterbox that were against all kinds of mooted developments. Maybe she's just playing to her (unusual for a Liberal electorate) voters but it was just weird to me.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#213 Post by phenom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:39 am

rev wrote: Why no Perth?
Rev, my memory could be failing as it was sometime ago but I believe governments (or at least smaller ones) were expected to pay to be included in the Competitive Alternatives report. I suspect WA couldn't be bothered.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#214 Post by claybro » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:36 am

rev wrote:Why no Perth? And if the cost to do business here/tax wise, is so low, why are businesses still going into administration and shutting down or laying people off? What else can be and needs to be done by government? Someone more into economics want to elaborate?
One of the biggest issues Adelaide has is it's proximity to Melbourne. Why would a company duplicate its admin functions from its major domestic market (Melbourne) to a much smaller market (Adelaide) which is in effect "just up the road". Cheap airfares, a one hour flight or 8 hour drive, and the relative excitement and liveability of all Melbourne has to offer, well company execs just choose Melbourne. -It doesn't matter how cheap Adelaide is to do business, most execs would just rather live in Melbourne and fly the relevant staff into and out of Adelaide as required. Two mates of mine commute from Adelaide weekly, one to Sydney and 1 to Melbourne. Both worked at corporate offices in Adelaide up to 3 years ago, both offices relocated for no other reason than the directors, board etc, prefer to play with the big boys over East.
AS FOR WHY NO PERTH?...Well from personal experience, Perth is 2 or three time zones away, is not realistically driveable, and people here really don't give a flying fig about what happens in Sydeny or Melbourne. Cost of doing business does not really come into the equation, because the rewards (dollar sales) are higher. It is an isolated captive market. Customer service is generally poor and expensive. Because of the time difference any number of companies are required to have a local office presence if even only because of the time difference and ease of contact.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#215 Post by Goodsy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:38 pm

A higher speed rail network between country Victoria and the south east would do wonders I think, or at the very least make commuter travel between the states a possibility. A line from Mt Gambier to Warrnambool at 200kph would just about allow daily commuters, and if you added Portland, Hamilton and Milicent into that mix there's almost 80k people all connected, go even further with Horsham, Stawell and Ararat and you have over 100k people.

Using China's 350kph rated track at a per kilometer cost of $21m a 500km system would only be about $10bn, and that's with 350kph speeds. However the train corridors already exist between those towns so they wouldn't be starting from scratch and it wouldn't be at those speeds.

although a $10bn investment in the region wouldn't go astray i'm sure

bits
Legendary Member!

#216 Post by bits » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:51 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:....100k people.
would only be about $10bn
That is only $100,000 per person that could theoretically use the service or about $10million per person that might actually use the service daily. Bargain?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#217 Post by rev » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Steven Marshall is a joke of a leader.
He has no vision. He has no plans.
The only time you ever hear a peep out of him, is when he stands up to criticize the government.
The people who call up 5AA do a better job of criticizing the government then he does.

If that's the best he can do with what he's got, then no wonder Labor keeps winning in this state. No wonder they win while under performing every time.

The Liberals will oppose whatever the Labor government does or proposes. It is all they've got to work with. Because there is nobody within that party, or nobody in a position to, come up with a solid vision and plan for the state.

It shouldn't even be about getting elected as government. If these pigs(on both sides) truly cared about this state and the people of this state, they would come up with the best, boldest vision and plan for the state, and move heaven and earth and a few mountains to see it through.
For key projects like light rail and electrification of heavy rail, road infrastructure, there would be support from both parties, and even if we had a change in government, such projects would continue. Because it's in the benefit of the state and people for them to continue.

You would think there'd be enough support from supporters of both parties for something like that to happen.

I really do wonder what the hell is wrong with people sometimes and whether it's worth even caring about anymore.

claybro

#218 Post by claybro » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:56 pm

rev wrote:For key projects like light rail and electrification of heavy rail, road infrastructure, there would be support from both parties, and even if we had a change in government, such projects would continue. Because it's in the benefit of the state and people for them to continue.
Well according to todays latest thought bubble from our Prime Minister, there will be billions of low interest loans on offer to the states. All good and about time, but now over to North Terrace. Just where are those well thought out plans for infrastructure in Adelaide....hmm though so.

Waewick

#219 Post by Waewick » Sun May 01, 2016 7:50 am

rev wrote:Steven Marshall is a joke of a leader.
The only time you ever hear a peep out of him, is when he stands up to criticize the government.
The people who call up 5AA do a better job of criticizing the government then he does.

If that's the best he can do with what he's got, then no wonder Labor keeps winning in this state. No wonder they win while under performing every time.

The Liberals will oppose whatever the Labor government does or proposes. It is all they've got to work with. Because there is nobody within that party, or nobody in a position to, come up with a solid vision and plan for the state.

It shouldn't even be about getting elected as government. If these pigs(on both sides) truly cared about this state and the people of this state, they would come up with the best, boldest vision and plan for the state, and move heaven and earth and a few mountains to see it through.
For key projects like light rail and electrification of heavy rail, road infrastructure, there would be support from both parties, and even if we had a change in government, such projects would continue. Because it's in the benefit of the state and people for them to continue.

You would think there'd be enough support from supporters of both parties for something like that to happen.

I really do wonder what the hell is wrong with people sometimes and whether it's worth even caring about anymore.
he just did a whole document on visions and plans which was widely panned for being visions and plans.

We get it, you're a labor voter. No need to pretend your impartial.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#220 Post by Goodsy » Sun May 01, 2016 10:25 am

Waewick wrote:

he just did a whole document on visions and plans which was widely panned for being visions and plans.

It was widely planned because it didn't actually have any plans or visions in it

Waewick

#221 Post by Waewick » Sun May 01, 2016 10:44 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Waewick wrote:

It was widely planned because it didn't actually have any plans or visions in it
It was as crap as any non federally funded State Labor document.

And it was crap no doubt.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#222 Post by Vee » Mon May 16, 2016 12:32 pm

Good news for SA, northern suburbs and regions.

Ingham expands SA operations, additional 850 jobs to be created
Chicken producer Ingham will spend $275 million doubling the size of its South Australian operations, creating an additional 850 jobs in the process.

The money will be spent throughout Ingham's production chain, including breeding, hatching, processing, feed production and product distribution at 15 sites.

Sites included in the expansion are Bolivar, Edinburgh Parks and Dry Creek as well as Monarto, Yumali, Murray Bridge and other sites in the Murraylands.
The company expects to directly employ an additional 385 employees, and support 465 new positions with contractor firms.

State taxpayers will help pay for the expansion with a $3.7 million investment — $2.8 million from the Regional Development Fund and $900,000 from Investment Attraction South Australia.

Premier Jay Weatherill said the expansion positioned South Australia as a "strategic national centre" for Ingham.
"Food production is a growing sector of our state's economy and we are supplying the business conditions that make investing here a wise choice," he said.

"This expansion will create hundreds of new direct and indirect jobs for South Australians with a focus on two key areas — northern Adelaide and the Murraylands."

Ingham executive chairman Mick McMahon said the company would look to target workers set to lose their jobs in car manufacturing.
"We have started discussions on how we can tap into the skilled workforce in northern Adelaide and provide new opportunities to those displaced by the closure of car manufacturing," he said.

"We have already employed some people from this industry in leading positions."
ABCNews:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-16/c ... ns/7417716

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#223 Post by jk1237 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:53 pm

Waewick wrote:
have you heard of the pot calling the kettle black because you are clearly a Liberal voter so accusing someone else of not being impartial is hilarious

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#224 Post by Spurdo » Mon May 16, 2016 8:02 pm

Waewick wrote:he just did a whole document on visions and plans which was widely panned for being visions and plans.

Hello Rupert, how's NewsCorp going

Waewick

#225 Post by Waewick » Mon May 16, 2016 8:07 pm

jk1237 wrote:
Waewick wrote:
have you heard of the pot calling the kettle black because you are clearly a Liberal voter so accusing someone else of not being impartial is hilarious
I can call someone not impartial regardless if I am also not impartial.

But given I've called the document crap it hardly makes me some fanboi or a Liberal voter.
Last edited by Waewick on Mon May 16, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.