Adelaide in Lonely Planet's Top 10 for 2014

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Mants
Legendary Member!

Re: Beer Garden

#16 Post by Mants » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Will wrote:It makes me wonder whether there is an aspect of unconscious misogyny in all of this, as Australia's only 'female' capital?
i agree with everything else you have said...but would you care to explain the meaning of this statement?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Mants wrote:
Will wrote:It makes me wonder whether there is an aspect of unconscious misogyny in all of this, as Australia's only 'female' capital?
i agree with everything else you have said...but would you care to explain the meaning of this statement?
I assume he meant that Adelaide is the only city named after a female.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Will » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Mants wrote:
Well, Adelaide is the only capital city named after a female. The others were named after males.

I don't mean to derail this thread with my theories, but I have read studies that demonstrate that women are judged by different and more frivolous factors compared to men. For example, during job interviews, females are subconsciously judged according to 'Miss Universe' criteria, such as how sexy their walk is. I'm just thinking out aloud, whether this could be a factor, in the objectively greater amounts of abuse thrown at our city. :2cents:

Mants
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by Mants » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:19 pm

Will wrote:
Mants wrote:
Well, Adelaide is the only capital city named after a female. The others were named after males.

I don't mean to derail this thread with my theories, but I have read studies that demonstrate that women are judged by different and more frivolous factors compared to men. For example, during job interviews, females are subconsciously judged according to 'Miss Universe' criteria, such as how sexy their walk is. I'm just thinking out aloud, whether this could be a factor, in the objectively greater amounts of abuse thrown at our city. :2cents:
Sorry, I think I misjudged the direction in which you were taking your argument.

Personally, I would not agree that consciously or not, people in the eastern states dislike us because our city is named after a female. Keeping in mind of course that so are Queensland and Victoria, and I don't feel as if they are judged in the same way.
I believe the problem is still rooted in our own past negativity and the massive exodus of disenchanted young people throughout the 90s and 00s to Melbourne and Sydney. Now that things have turned around and our city has begun to flourish (receiving accolades from unbiased sources is a shining example!) our interstate reputation will slowly begin to improve. So much damage has been done in the last few decades, that like all things, it will take some time to mend.
Cliche I know, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

Re: Adelaide in Lonely Planet's Top 10 for 2014

#20 Post by Splashmo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:18 pm

This is a good boost to Adelaide's international profile.

Sadly there's been some really stupid commentary around today. Even if you overlook the typical Adelaide-bashers, some people seem confused - is Adelaide the ninth best city in the world? Is Adelaide better than New York, or Sydney or London? I wish people could divorce themselves from their prejudices and maybe see how nice it could be just to spend a few days visiting, which is exactly what the list is about.

This honour's been bestowed on Newcastle, Darwin and Hobart in recent years, so I'd also be interested to know if it made a real difference in those places.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by spiller » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:03 pm

FWIW, someone on my Facebook feed emailed that moron who wrote the hate piece today and received the following reply...
FFS Rye it was a pisstake. Now admittedly, I step into character a little when I write pieces like this and argue the case a lot harder than I would in polite conversation, but all the same, it was a piece of fun. I’ve spent plenty of time on KI and in Adelaide and love the place.

I can honestly say I am shocked at how many people from Adelaide today have taken offence today rather than going along with the joke. Anyway, thanks for writing in - Ant
What sort of response did he expect? He rubbished the home of 1.2 mil people on the mainstream media in aus. Twit.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Good ol, News Limited. What a cock.

Meanwhile I like this video. It's good to see SA take a different approach.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by monotonehell » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:41 am

The ABC's David M Green has a go at a response. He's been away for a while I gather as some of his info is out of date, but he brings up a few interesting points amongst the cliche`d...
...So if you've got a few days to get away, go to the place with the nation's coolest-looking police uniforms, the longest pedestrian mall, the most beautiful cricket ground with the oldest working scoreboard, the birthplace of Glenn Ridge, the least convicts, the most serial killers, the opal capital of the world, with the greatest concentration of Stobie poles, the biggest glasshouse and the least distance to travel from the airport to the central business district.

Go to Adelaide. It's heaps good.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-30/g ... de/5057284
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by Phantom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 pm

crawf wrote:What a cock.
Summed him up perfectly in three words, Crawf!
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

duke
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by duke » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Another article

Adelaide Instead of Sydney
http://nymag.com/travel/2013/winter/ade ... australia/
Like its eastern cousin Sydney, Adelaide has eclectic cuisine, idyllic beaches, Shiraz wineries, and kangaroo-spotting galore—but with a fraction of the tourists and for a whole lot cheaper.
Now that recently revised liquor laws have made it easier for small venues to obtain licenses, the city has seen a boom in boutique bars. Once known as a city of serial killers and churches, Adelaide is now jokingly referred to as Australia’s answer to Portland. (Adelaindia?)
I am impressed that one guy says Adelaide should be AU's answer to Portland, and it has apparently stuck already.

Sydney marketing executive Stuart Gregor posts blog saying Adelaide could be coolest city in Australia, thanks to wine and weirdness

http://www.news.com.au/national/sydney- ... 6727738221
But it got me thinking about Adelaide. What do I think of Adelaide you ask? Well it’s simple. I think Adelaide should be Portland.
Every decision-maker in Adelaide should hop on a plane and get themselves to Portland, Oregon. They should stay at the Ace Hotel in the middle of town, walk around for a week and see what Adelaide could become.
Adelaide could easily be the coolest city in Australia.
There have been a lot of articles recently praising Adelaide.
The Festivals are going crazy.
There is life in the CBD, more than just drinking
People seem to be more optimistic in recent years
There is construction like we have never seen before
The amount of new hotels is crazy. I would love to see the number of room increases over the last 10 years.
Tourism SA recently won an award for the Barossa Ad, it also got praise on Gruen

It feels like there is a change in the air. The only issue I see is momentum, and the people that talk us down.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#26 Post by rev » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:25 pm

spiller wrote:FWIW, someone on my Facebook feed emailed that moron who wrote the hate piece today and received the following reply...
FFS Rye it was a pisstake. Now admittedly, I step into character a little when I write pieces like this and argue the case a lot harder than I would in polite conversation, but all the same, it was a piece of fun. I’ve spent plenty of time on KI and in Adelaide and love the place.

I can honestly say I am shocked at how many people from Adelaide today have taken offence today rather than going along with the joke. Anyway, thanks for writing in - Ant
What sort of response did he expect? He rubbished the home of 1.2 mil people on the mainstream media in aus. Twit.
Has anyone asked him yet what part of his "piss take" was meant to be funny?
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I didn't see the joke..

He implies how Adelaide people supposedly go on and on and on about how great it is here.
Do Sydney people not talk up Sydney to friends or family from out of town? Do they not say how great this particularly beach or that particular restaurant or bar or whatever are? Is he implying they are actually that arrogant, more so then we probably think, that they assume the rest of the planet just thinks Sydney is some awesome paradise?

Yet, despite us Adelaide people making peoples ears bleed with our hyping up of our city(apparently), it's Sydneysiders(and probably Melbournians) who are having an epic sook right now over what Lonely Planet has to say. Has anyone let them know what the New Yorker magazine has to say? I'd hate to imagine what sort of a pisstake and joke that wanker would come up with.

I don't recall people in our media or people in general having a sook when Sydney or Melbourne are voted amongst the most livable cities ahead of Adelaide.
Maybe the 'big country town of Adelaide" is a little more grown up and mature then it's east coast counterparts.

I thought we were supposed to be the jealous ones of the east coast cities? :lol:

downtown
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#27 Post by downtown » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 pm

hello chaps,

A little perspective... Lonely Planet was founded and is based in Australia so I'm not so sure we can call it unbiased. Of course its biased, nearly everything is in some manner.
Furthermore, they've made a splash this year, at least in Australia for including Adelaide in the top 10 list for giggles. Well a little controversy never hurt any publicity stunt for a new edition of a book probably coming out by Christmas.

As for the vitriol leveled at the news.com.au journalist, that's a little over the top isn't it? Again the article was a cynical bit of link bait and it worked a treat. Have a sense of humour instead of behaving like the backwoodsmen from deliverance and interstaters might start looking at South Australians in a different light. Yes i'm one of them and i live here and i'm not an employee of news ltd before you start down that road. Most of the things in that article seemed fairly accurate to me as I've also lived here most of my life, which is why it was somewhat funny, however obviously it was biased not to highlight the positive aspects of the city of Adelaide.

Adelaide will arrive as a city of note someday, once the locals stop getting up in arms about a little criticism or joking, once the locals stop getting so worked up about what others with different perspectives think.

Bottom line is, why should anyone care about Lonely Planet or News Ltd? there really is no sense in getting your tiaras in a twist. take the good with the bad, but take both with a pinch of salt because they mean nothing in the washup.

cheers :cheers:

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#28 Post by rev » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:15 pm

downtown wrote:hello chaps,

A little perspective... Lonely Planet was founded and is based in Australia so I'm not so sure we can call it unbiased. Of course its biased, nearly everything is in some manner.
Furthermore, they've made a splash this year, at least in Australia for including Adelaide in the top 10 list for giggles. Well a little controversy never hurt any publicity stunt for a new edition of a book probably coming out by Christmas.

As for the vitriol leveled at the news.com.au journalist, that's a little over the top isn't it? Again the article was a cynical bit of link bait and it worked a treat. Have a sense of humour instead of behaving like the backwoodsmen from deliverance and interstaters might start looking at South Australians in a different light. Yes i'm one of them and i live here and i'm not an employee of news ltd before you start down that road. Most of the things in that article seemed fairly accurate to me as I've also lived here most of my life, which is why it was somewhat funny, however obviously it was biased not to highlight the positive aspects of the city of Adelaide.

Adelaide will arrive as a city of note someday, once the locals stop getting up in arms about a little criticism or joking, once the locals stop getting so worked up about what others with different perspectives think.

Bottom line is, why should anyone care about Lonely Planet or News Ltd? there really is no sense in getting your tiaras in a twist. take the good with the bad, but take both with a pinch of salt because they mean nothing in the washup.

A sense of humor?
Can you point where exactly the funny bits are in that article?

It may have been brushed off, once upon a time..but this same old crap has been done to death by those on the east coast.
And each time they play the it's a "piss take" or "joke" card and tell us to get a sense of humor. Really, you accept that as an excuse?
Are they really that insecure about their own existence?

One of the most recognized travel publications listed Adelaide amongst it's top 10, for a few giggles? Really?
Adelaide will arrive as a city of note someday, once the locals stop getting up in arms about a little criticism or joking, once the locals stop getting so worked up about what others with different perspectives think
Wow again.
I'd say a few choice things to you, but the mods don't like it when I upset the new guy anymore.

If Lonely Planet rated Adelaide as a place to avoid, would you have the same opinion?
Keep in mind, if you don't already know which by the sounds of it I doubt you would, that Lonely Planet is a major travel publication.
Keep in mind as well that News.com.au, aka News Ltd, is one of the major news sites in Australia.

The media and publications play a big part in promoting something. In this case a city/state.

Do you know what one of the major things Adelaide is known for? Bodies in barrels.
That received major national media coverage when it was unfolding. That has stuck.

So to have a major publication like Lonely Planet, and the New Yorker, give Adelaide the thumbs up, and suggest it as an alternative to a major city like Sydney, is a terrific thing.
What it signifies is that Adelaide is getting recognized for the changes it is undergoing.
One of the big changes is the small bar scene/laneway stuff going on. The New York magazine is talking about THAT! And you think they do this sort of stuff just for giggles?

It might not mean much to you, but it will mean quite a lot to the states economy.
Last year Hobart was listed by Lonely Planet, it received an increase of around 15% in tourist arrivals as a direct result.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Phantom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:38 pm

downtown wrote:hello chaps,

It just doesn't add up that of all the things you could have commented on, on these forums, it had to be this specific article? Something to me just doesn't quite add up here. I, like Rev have to ask, in what way has Adelaide been included in this list for giggles? If you could provide more feedback, I'm sure this could evolve into quite an informative conversation.

I'd honestly love to know how you know that this is indeed the case. I've never known Lonely Planet to include joke places on its lists? If you could perhaps provide evidence to back up your claim, that would be great.

You've also spoken of your displeasure of the attitudes that South Australians possess when Adelaide is being heckled. What would you suggest that we do? Take it, roll over and die? Just to be clear, you do understand that this is a forum primarily made up of South Australians, right? So naturally, when handed a piece of journalistic Eastern-State oriented rubbish, of course our natural reaction is to hand it the vitriol it so desperately asks for.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

downtown
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#30 Post by downtown » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Wouldnt take much to raise Hobart tourism by 15%. perhaps Lonely Planet are in the business of charity, perhaps they're in the business of advertising.
Remember the state government paid that English barmy army trumpet player to wear an Adelaide T-shirt and be a tourism mascot for the Ashes series.

News Ltd are in the business of advertising, who knows with Lonely Planet, their record isnt squeaky clean. Like I said, take both with a pinch of salt, they're not umpires of destinations.

you seem like a friendly bunch. Dont know if i'll stay here long.

:2cents: