Dubai - An example to look up to

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Dubai - An example to look up to

#16 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Can this be moved to the Beyond Australia section?. Thanks

Mants
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by Mants » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:27 pm

crawf wrote:Can this be moved to the Beyond Australia section?. Thanks
can this thread be deleted? Thanks.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:40 pm

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:Can this be moved to the Beyond Australia section?. Thanks
can this thread be deleted? Thanks.
Or that.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#19 Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Pushbutton, Dubai is fuelled by tons of oil money and it's convenient location for an international airport hub. It's rich people building monuments to their egos/bank accounts with the most outlandish and unsympathetic architecture money can buy, and constructed by a dirt cheap labour force who don't get to even live in the city. It's not sustainable, both environmentally nor economically. And to suggest a remote city, that does not have trillions of dollars worth of oil under it, should follow in it's footsteps is just completely out of the realm of possibility.

And for what it's worth, that image of Ferrari World isn't even in Dubai, it's in Abu Dhabi. Attached to a rubbish Tilke F1 track, which they're now suggesting to make worth double points so that people actually watch it.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by Phantom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:19 am

Nathan, thanks for taking the time out to write a proper reply to Pushbutton, rather than seeing his name and instantly shooting him down like so may others do around here.

Guys, if you don't like what is being said by Pushbutton, then kindly leave, please? I'm actually sick of seeing how this poor guy gets treated on these forums. It's completely unfair that because he holds strong thoughts to unpopular opinions that he is INSTANTLY wrong and needs to be cut down to size. That absolutely shits me! What honestly allows you guys that happily bicker with one another about the NBN, Federal Politics and Sporting Events in Adelaide to state that this topic needs to be locked and deleted? Even if it's a themepark is never going to happen in Adelaide, at least he places his opinion on these forums and never seems to get aggressive as everyone else so happily does to him! Honestly, I'm really, REALLY disappointed to read some of the things that people say to this poor dude. If you don't like him, that's fine, but don't be a massive dick about it. That's just making yourselves turn into right fucking assholes against a poor guy typing out his wishlist for our great city! If the Mods and Owners believe that this crap that Pushbutton takes on a weekly basis around here is warranted, then I will happily have my forum account deleted and will play no further part here.

On topic, Pushy, can I call you that? Too bad if I can't. I love some of those ideas they have for their city, and I'd love to see one of these "World Class Attractions" (I'm saying those three words just to piss off the naysayers) in Adelaide, but in the current economic climate involved with the State, it's probably going to be something that wouldn't be viable for a long time, so I think the people like you and I who enjoy these large attractions are going to have to be content with either the Gold Coast's attractions, or the State attractions we have here (Convention Centres, Sporting Stadiums, Aquatics Centres, Race Tracks, etc.)

The cities in the UAE that have spent zillions of oil dollars on these attractions (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah) have done so for the following reasons (at least I'm told):
When the oil finally runs out, they will have so many attractions, that their tourism dollars will cover the void that will be created by the lack of oil dollars. This inturn theoretically should keep them at the forefront of people's holiday destinations. The reasons why this will most likely fail, is that should the world hit an economic bubble, people will cut out what is not necessary in their lives, to save as much money. A trip to Dubai every five years and spending $25,000 each time is a prime example of this. Should enough people stay home and not spend their money in Dubai, then bills won't get paid and the snowball effect will begin, ending with closures of said attractions.

Are you a fan of Top Gear, by any chance? About a year ago, Clarkson, Hammond and May went to Spain and visited some interesting sites. They came across a whole city that, while fully developed and finished, simply failed to sell to the public and subsequently is a COMPLETE and utter ghost town, you know? It's actually kinda scary that this is able to happen in a world like this! Another example of this money-drying-up issue is the Valencian Grand Prix track. Their last race was not that long ago (either 2010, 2011 or 2012 from memory) and it already has weeds coming up through the cracks, graffiti and has been hit by arsonists. My final example is the Olympic Stadiums in Greece, another Eurozone country with a shithouse economy. Their Olympic Stadiums are only a decade old and yet are in such bad shape, that it's not financially viable for them to even fix them!

So, this may have sounded off topic, but... If Adelaide were to try and build a big attraction like this at the moment, it could quite possibly and quite realistically become a complete flop, Pushy. If that were to happen, so many jobs would go under and so many political heads would be on chopping blocks, I reckon.

Then again, I've never studied into this, so I could be completely wrong, but that's how I see that something like this (at least in the forseeable future) would be unviable. I miss the F1 just like everyone else, but if we were/are to ever get it back, we need to start again with smaller attractions and work our way up. That's why I absolutely adore what the Tour Down Under and Fringe festival does for our great city.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:36 am

Hey Pushy, can I have the drugs you're on?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Matt » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:05 am

I can appreciate the sentiment re: modern, thought provoking architecture - some of those buildings look fantastic - but suggesting it's 'a shame' that SAHMRI is a medical research facility rather than a fun park (or similar) is bordering on the ridiculous.

I'm stopping off in Dubai next time I'm home (March) and I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself.

But in saying that, I certainly don't think it should be held on a pedestal as something other cities (particularly Adelaide) should try and emulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by Norman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:34 am

Dubai IS a massive city now, but not all the buildings are fuelled by oil. Many are also investment properties from people all over the world.

And just for the record, many of the local friends I have over there who have studied in Adelaide actually miss our city. They don't always want theme parks and resorts, they appreciate our relaxed lifestyle and calmness.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by pushbutton » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:27 am

It read as an insult to me personally, but apology accepted, thanks.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by pushbutton » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:42 am

[Shuz] wrote:Hey Pushy, can I have the drugs you're on?
But implying that I am taking drugs definitely crosses the line. There is absolutely no need for that.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:59 am

Moderation note: Hey guys, Pushbutton may hold some ideas that we do not agree with, but let's stop with the ad hominem attacks. Keep it civil and level your critique against the argument, not the man. Points go to Pushy for creating a separate thread for this.

It would also be civil if all those who have not already apologised, did so.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by Mants » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:46 pm

ok so i'll actually add something of worth to this discussion.

when i look at groundbreaking feats of architecture (yes SAHMRI is included in this list) the use of said buildings is also of importance.

SAHMRI, both architecturally and purposely, has the ability to bring Adelaide to international acclaim. the sole fact that we were willing to invest this kind of time and money into a medical research facility is something to be proud of, because from anybody's point of view, it is an industry worth investing in.

when i look at Dubai...thousands upon thousands of empty square metres inside almost as many empty buildings, only existing for the sake of portraying some kind of ridiculous image to the rest of the world... all i see is everything that is wrong with our world today....a gross waste of resources, fuelling consumerist ideals of a disposable, throwaway culture.

for this reason, i cannot accept the idea of seeing Dubai as an example to look up to.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Yes Mants, this illustrates why you need BOTH interesting architecture and an actual functional business case in order to make a successful development. Without the second, you're unlikely to gain any financial backing and even if you do manage to construct it, it will probably sit empty.

This is why the SLASH Adelaide proposal won the panel's vote; it combines a set of use cases that will create a local population, with the design ideas themselves.

"Build it and they will come," only works in very few select cases where "they" were already coming in the first place.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Maximus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Phantom wrote:Nathan, thanks for taking the time out to write a proper reply to Pushbutton, rather than seeing his name and instantly shooting him down like so may others do around here.

Guys, if you don't like what is being said by Pushbutton, then kindly leave, please? I'm actually sick of seeing... <snip>
Wonderful post, Phantom. There's a bit too much 'playing the man, not the ball' around here sometimes and it's great to see some people taking a bit of a stand. FWIW, Pushie - I also think you're little bit crazy (and I say that in the nicest possible way :) ), but I really appreciate your wonderful imagination and enthusiasm, and also - as Phantom says - that you never seem to get aggressive in response to the personal attacks.

Personally, I've never been to Dubai and I have absolutely no desire to do so. It holds no attraction for me. But I would love to see some more SAHMRI-style architecture in fair ol' Adelaide.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by pushbutton » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:34 pm

:toilet: :toilet:
Maximus wrote:
Phantom wrote:Nathan, thanks for taking the time out to write a proper reply to Pushbutton, rather than seeing his name and instantly shooting him down like so may others do around here.

Guys, if you don't like what is being said by Pushbutton, then kindly leave, please? I'm actually sick of seeing... <snip>
Wonderful post, Phantom. There's a bit too much 'playing the man, not the ball' around here sometimes and it's great to see some people taking a bit of a stand. FWIW, Pushie - I also think you're little bit crazy (and I say that in the nicest possible way :) ), but I really appreciate your wonderful imagination and enthusiasm, and also - as Phantom says - that you never seem to get aggressive in response to the personal attacks.

Personally, I've never been to Dubai and I have absolutely no desire to do so. It holds no attraction for me. But I would love to see some more SAHMRI-style architecture in fair ol' Adelaide.
Well I am not afraid to think outside the square in terms of what Adelaide could be in the future. If that makes me a bit crazy (but in a good way) I'll happily take the compliment! I suppose anyone who has ever dared to dream has been called crazy!