SA's Population Growth Hits A 14-year High

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:49 am

Mini-boom in state's population
MARK KENNY, POLITICAL EDITOR

September 22, 2006 12:15am

SOUTH AUSTRALIA'S population growth has reached a 14-year high although the rate lags behind the national average.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics yesterday released population figures for the year, ending March 2006. That showed Australia's population now has passed the 20.5 million mark with an overall increase of 263,000 people.

South Australia's population now stands at 1.552 million - a net increase of 12,000.

The majority of that came from overseas migration. A total of 8800 migrants made the central state their home in the subject period.

Queensland continued to lead the field with a growth rate of 2 per cent, or 80,200 people. This was closely followed by the other mining giant, Western Australia with a growth rate of 1.9.

Releasing the latest data, the bureau said population growth in the states and territories was made up of three components: natural increase, net overseas migration and net interstate migration. In Queensland, the ACT and the Northern Territory, natural increase, which is when births exceed deaths, accounted for the biggest component of the growth.

The figures show significant increases in the rate of growth with Victoria, WA and SA all experiencing their biggest increases in around a decade and a half.

Treasurer Peter Costello, who, in 2004, famously asked families to have one child for Mum, one for Dad, and one for the country, said the figures were welcome news.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:43 am

South Australia is differently improving, regardless what anyone says

these latest ABS figures are very promosing

Population Growth
2005: 8-9000 people - 0.6% Increase
2006: 12,000 people - 0.8% Increase
2007: 15,000 people - 1% Increase {My Prediction}

Overseas Migration
2005: around 6,400 people
2006: 8,800 people
2007: 11,500 people {My Prediction}

Interstate Net Lose
2005: 3483 people
2006: 2,700 people (huge shock)
2007: 2,100 people {My Prediction}

Australia

Australia - 1.3% (263,200)

1. Queensland - 2.0% (80,200)
2. Western Australia - 1.9% (38,600)
3. Northern Territory - 1.8% (3,600)
4. Victoria - 1.3% (65,700)
5. South Australia - 0.8% (11,900)
6. New South Wales - 0.8% (56,900)
7. Australian Capital Territory - 0.8% (2,600)
8. Tasmania - 0.7% (3,600)

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected] ... enDocument

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Ho Really » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:59 pm

Would like to know the breakdown of these stats, where the immigrants have come from and which religious/ethic groups have had the most births. Also whether the immigrants are skilled labour and what those skills are.

Cheers

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by stelaras » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:38 pm

Im glad someone's doing the stats.

The government i think, has begun to do the right thing for Adelaide and it definitely is beginning to bear fruit.

As a former South Australian (left Adelaide 2003) i yearn for the time that there is enough incentive in my field to come back to the most livable city in Australia!!

cheers

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by bdm » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:19 pm

The figures are a joke. We have one of the lowest birthrates in the country, we lose thousands of young people and families interstate every year (take a look at some other statistics - see the huge gaping whole of 18-35 year olds in the Adelaide area).

Crawf, you get super-excited, and super-happy over what the Advertiser beats up into "good news". Its not.

The state government has done sweet fuck-all to turn around this problem.

When people stop heading interstate and stay in Adelaide, and when our birthrate is 2.1--then I'll be happy.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:31 pm

bdm wrote:The figures are a joke. We have one of the lowest birthrates in the country, we lose thousands of young people and families interstate every year (take a look at some other statistics - see the huge gaping whole of 18-35 year olds in the Adelaide area).

Crawf, you get super-excited, and super-happy over what the Advertiser beats up into "good news". Its not.

The state government has done sweet fuck-all to turn around this problem.

When people stop heading interstate and stay in Adelaide, and when our birthrate is 2.1--then I'll be happy.
As a liberal supporter I am not surprised by your negativity, however I should point out that the ABS does not work for Premier Rann, so therefore the results published are not 'spin'.

No-one is denying that we are still behind other states in terms of population growth, but not even you can deny that the state has made some progress in this field. When you compare the figures from say 2001 when the state population grew only by 0.5% or only 5000 people, the results published today are positive. As long as the economies of WA and QLD (to a lesser extent) continue to boom then we will continue to have a negative rate of interstate migration. However you fail to mention the very positive increase in international migration. Compare this to 2001 again when we only attracted around 3000 international migrants.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: SA's Population Growth Hits A 14-year High

#7 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:51 pm

stelaras wrote:Im glad someone's doing the stats.

The government i think, has begun to do the right thing for Adelaide and it definitely is beginning to bear fruit.
The State Government launched a Strategic Plan a couple of years ago, and one of those targets was to reduce net loss to interstate to zero by 2008 with a positive inflow from 2009 and to increase South Australia's population to 2 million by 2050, rather than the projected population decline.

http://www.stateplan.sa.gov.au
bdm wrote:The figures are a joke. We have one of the lowest birthrates in the country, we lose thousands of young people and families interstate every year (take a look at some other statistics - see the huge gaping whole of 18-35 year olds in the Adelaide area).
you have no idea, Those thousands of people leaving the state is decreasing..
As you can see those figures i posted above are from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) not the Advertiser and it is good news because the States population is now growing at 0.8% per annum compard to 0.5% a couple of years ago and the interstate net lose is finally starting to rapidly decrease, which is a huge shock.

rhino

#8 Post by rhino » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:58 am

bdm wrote: Crawf, you get super-excited, and super-happy over what the Advertiser beats up into "good news". Its not.
I have noticed that The Advertiser publishes a lot more negative spin about what this government achieves than positive spin - it is clearly a biased tabloid, and there are a lot of Liberal supporters I know who treat this negative spin as fact. However, when something positive is printed (in this case, facts from the ABS, and not spin) those same people come out crying "False!".

The facts from the ABS speak for themselves. Things are looking up in South Australia, and they were looking down 5 years ago. Thank God for Mike Rann and his vision.
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really

#9 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:42 pm

It's not all rosy for Mike Rann, rhino. SA has many areas where it is lacking, and it seems from a latest report we have the most needy people in the country, and the numbers are growing.

Cheers

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by bdm » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:16 pm

"thanks god for Mike Rann and his vision!"

What a complete joke! What a stupid remark!

Mike has no vision. Mike is a spin doctor; in the 1970s, Dunstan's media secretary; in the 90s, a tool of the unions; and in the new millenium, the shrewd 'media Mike'.

What innovation, what vision, what? They bring nothing to the board! Their policies aren't visionary, they're stupidly conservative. They don't want positive change, they want to keep people satisfied--just look at the budget. Its not forward looking, its about keeping the average asshole satisfied.

There is no strong increase in population, whether it be through births or immigration. Labor has not put forward any policies to address this. We've got a economy stuck in a low gear, and Labor hasn't got any policies to greatly improve this either.

Its time to get your tongues out of Mike Rann's browneye and start demanding more for your city and state.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by AtD » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:57 pm

Something tells me bdm votes Liberal. Just a hunch. :lol:

Mants
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Mants » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:18 pm

yes, as you can tell by his location, lol

COB buddies, ey bdm? :wink:

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Al » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:01 am

bdm wrote:...its about keeping the average asshole satisfied.
Does this mean that the extraordinary assholes aren't satisfied?

What exactly do you think should be done then to improve the current sad state of affairs in SA?

rhino

#14 Post by rhino » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:43 am

Yes, Labor aims to keep the average "arsehole" (your term) satisfied. The Libs, on the other hand, aim at polarising society, keeping the rich arseholes satisfied and stomping on the average arseholes in a desperate and transparent bid to get rid of the middle class and create a realm of a few Haves and a lot of Have Nots.

So now we are getting 6 new big schools. None in Burnside, and rightly so. The Liberals advice is "enroll your kids in private education". That way the rich arseholes get educated, while the average arseholes scrape together whatever education they can achieve in rotting schools that the previous government didn't give a shit about. Didn't give a shit about the teachers either. Keep as many of them as you can on short term contracts cos it's cheaper, and they'll get sick of it and leave, and we can bring new ones in at the lowest pay rate. Now there's futuristic vision for you (not).

Invest in Public transport? People in Burnside don't need public transport, that's for the "average arseholes" - the Libs aren't going to spend public money on something the Haves aren't gonna use! They got cars! Spend the public transport money on roads! Wankers.

Yes, thank god for Mike Rann and his vision, I'll back him all the way. Things might not be moving as fast as you'd like, bdm, but they're moving faster and better than they were under the Liberal government.
cheers,
Rhino

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

population

#15 Post by stelaras » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:07 am

here here Rhino!!!!!

crawf: thanks for the link, i have had a read through it before and was impressed with the strategic plan. Im glad SA is starting to mirror the states on the eastern sea board...Whilst things wont change overnight, they will change over time.. As long as the slope of the graph keeps heading upwards!

with reference to education: I was educated solely by the state even though i was raised in the "well to do areas" I have 5 degrees to my name and was recently named in the top 10% in Australia and top 40% in the world for my speciality. Education of a person is not determined SOLELY by what school one goes to. It is a combination of things, the school is only part of the equation. Most of it lies in your upbringing, a stable home, nurturing parents, and a tight family and extended family unit provides a conducive learning environment.

As long as policies are put in place to reduce class sizes, and educate people appropriately in the importance and benefit of a stable family unit only then will any city not just SA see a rise in the overall EQ of its people.

The state government from what i remember has been advocating such policies and heading away from privitised and institutionalised education systems that are only really accessible by those people from higher socio-economic backgrounds.

cheers

Steve