Negativity in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Negativity in Adelaide

#31 Post by Waewick » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:02 pm

So the problem with Adelaide is that the great things aren't obvious.

Small things like Morialta Falls and Waterfall gully are amazing for so close to city. Even just going to Pt Noarlunga jetty and seeing the reef is excellent tourist thing to do.

Also Adelaide gets you to places within the Adelaide Hills and McLaren Vale which shouldn't be under sold.

Things that may seem boring to locals (even though generally they aren't) can be great for tourists and first timers in Adelaide. Being positive when talking about it helps too....

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by thecityguy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:20 am

Agree, port norlunga jetty is amazing, the water is crystal clear and great for snorkelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by mshagg » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:30 am

Waewick wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:The State budget was handed down today and puts SA back in the black for the first time since the GFC.. although you wouldn't guess that coming from the comments on AdelaideNow
To be fair they sold assets to get there. And the benefit of the sale according to various people was questionable.
It's not a bad result given the shitty hand they're playing with, both economically and the cuts which are still flowing through from the federal budget.

Flogging off the MAC seems fine to me, although id prefer the model went to open competition immediately rather than being allocated to insurers. Privatisation of the LTO is interesting, I'd be interested to know if it has been successful elsewhere, but one potential advantage is more contemporary settlement processes.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Back in Adelaide yesterday for work (24 hours visit). I think the negativity is self imposed. There is a lot of construction going on, and South Road is happening at a cracking pace. Great to see the current books in the black. All in all, for an outside visitor, it doesn't look like a place about to shut the door and turn off the lights. Our company there is doing well in revenue (better than last year). One thing the state government should do now, to maintain momentum is announce the next stage of the North/South motorway, so people know the vision. And lock in when the rail electrification will be finished. A bit of a tidy up in the usual spots (mowing and the like) would not go astray either. Get some funds into the local councils to fund some maintenance work to help keep unemployment down, until the larger contracts kick in again. If you can keep the advertised unemployment rate down at a reasonable level, then there will be much less negativity also in the national press.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:15 pm

I was not totally accurate with my earlier assessment, there are some really nice places to take photos around the city, if you know where to look and the weather is decent :)
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#36 Post by rev » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:39 pm

How far behind have we fallen?

Victoria is spending $2billion on expanding/improving their police force. Including 10 rebuild police stations and over 2,700 new police officers.
In South Australia a revamp of our police force involves removing the LSAs and creating four large regions for policing in Adelaide. Which will involve the areas commander or senior officer having a mobile phone for locals to call directly. I wish I was actually making that last part up but it's true.

Victoria is spending $10 billion on "the missing link" in its road infrastructure, east to west. Basically Ringwood to Tullamarine non-stop.
Adelaide..we are still trying to play catch up.

Not that I support the Commonwealth Games but Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Perth have all hosted, and rather then Adelaide being the next Australian city to host that honour is going to the Gold Coast.

Just some examples.
Now I'm not trying to be a negative nancy but I think the need for some people to show how positive they are about Adelaide and/or try and portray Adelaide in a positive light or show that the positives outweigh the negatives blinds them from how far behind Adelaide is and how bad things really are.

And the sad thing is our leaders endorse this slow snail paced "progress", and population growth, and we the people endorse it by voting for these people who plan and oversee the management of our state into what it has become and will become.

Where's the leadership? Whose going to say fuck it Adelaide needs growth to go bonkers economically and population wise?
Whose going to come up with a plan to do that?
Why isn't it being done why isn't it even a plan or vision?
Why shouldn't it be done? Because people like the small city big country town lifestyle? Move to one of our regional centres, and enjoy your big country town lifestyle there.

bits
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by bits » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:22 am

rev wrote: Where's the leadership? Whose going to say fuck it Adelaide needs growth to go bonkers economically and population wise?
Why shouldn't it be done? Because people like the small city big country town lifestyle? Move to one of our regional centres, and enjoy your big country town lifestyle there.
Create a political party, sell your plan, successfully implement said plan and profit.
Or you are just moaning everyone elses achievements, plans and ideas are useless but offer no alternative.

The state is a democracy and maybe you are in the minority. That might explain your frustration that nothing you want happens.

rev

#38 Post by rev » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:32 am

bits wrote:
rev wrote: Where's the leadership? Whose going to say fuck it Adelaide needs growth to go bonkers economically and population wise?
Create a political party, sell your plan, successfully implement said plan and profit.
Or you are just moaning everyone elses achievements, plans and ideas are useless but offer no alternative.

The state is a democracy and maybe you are in the minority. That might explain your frustration that nothing you want happens.
Lol says the guy whose all for maintaining the stale stagnation of South Australia.
Guess it suits you, but if you paid attention to what's happening around you you'd see that many young people continue to leave the state for more opportunities interstate.
You might have noticed that Adelaide was once the third ranked city and is now the fifth ranked city and shows no signs of bridging the gap.

And btw, what achievements of others did I say were useless?

Lmfao spotting the typical pathetic head up their ass South Australians is easy.
So dumbed down from decades of the same (shit) situation they actually think Adelaide is winning.
Meanwhile all other major capitals have seen enourmous growth and continue to grow much faster, and even regional centers(interstate OF course).

Here we are salivating at the mouth over a couple towers barely registerable as skyscrapers while other cities are seeing suburban satellite city skylines developing and some putting Adelaide to shame. And out of all the proposals there's only maybe one or two that really stand out the rest lol like dog shit, are boring and unimaginative..but then I guess they were aiming probably to have them blend in with the rest of the Adelaide skyline.

Let the butthurt flow through you my friend.
We don't even have decent roads in this state, when the exception should be the odd road with potholes or an uneven shitty surface, here it's the norm. And why? Because the government doesn't have the money to spend.
Why? Where does it make money? Taxes. Where's the business activity? Sure there's business activity but it's slow and small.

Again, be butthurt if you wish. You could embrace what I'm saying and so could others and people could start pushing and demanding for better, and perhaps voting out the clowns of the three-four usual parties who adhere to mediocrity and stagnation, Labor Liberas Greens Family First along with their "independent" side kicks. Who to vote for instead is the real dilemma.

Another example of how pathetic this state is with it's accepted stagnation. A private company wants to invest in Adelaide at the Holden site to grow commercial quantities of medical marijuana that will be worth close to a billion dollars to the state. Medicinal marijuana is on the verge of being legalised and becoming common across the country and here's our state not taking up the opportunity to take a slice of that very lucrative pie. How typical.
Even if it wasn't at the holden site find them another site. It's about creating jobs and new industries. Something none of the parties in this state seem to know anything about.

The states wealthiest person hasn't put up a bunch of his properties for sale and moved his property empire to Queensland because he wants more sunshine. He did so because Queensland is growin South Australia is stagnant with no vision to change. He didn't become a billionaire by sheer luck, inheritance or chance.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#39 Post by Norman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:15 am

rev wrote:How far behind have we fallen?

Victoria is spending $2billion on expanding/improving their police force. Including 10 rebuild police stations and over 2,700 new police officers.
In South Australia a revamp of our police force involves removing the LSAs and creating four large regions for policing in Adelaide. Which will involve the areas commander or senior officer having a mobile phone for locals to call directly. I wish I was actually making that last part up but it's true.

Victoria is spending $10 billion on "the missing link" in its road infrastructure, east to west. Basically Ringwood to Tullamarine non-stop.

Not that I support the Commonwealth Games but Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Perth have all hosted, and rather then Adelaide being the next Australian city to host that honour is going to the Gold Coast.

Just some examples.
Now I'm not trying to be a negative nancy but I think the need for some people to show how positive they are about Adelaide and/or try and portray Adelaide in a positive light or show that the positives outweigh the negatives blinds them from how far behind Adelaide is and how bad things really are.

And the sad thing is our leaders endorse this slow snail paced "progress", and population growth, and we the people endorse it by voting for these people who plan and oversee the management of our state into what it has become and will become.

Where's the leadership? Whose going to say fuck it Adelaide needs growth to go bonkers economically and population wise?
C'mon Rev, it's all nice and good to look at brown-coloured glasses into your own state and look at rose-coloured glasses at the others, but let's put things in perspective.

Victoria has a big population, and a big population growth rate. Of course they will need more police officers (and nurses, ambulance drivers and so on). I'm sure SA Police is increasing the size force as well (300 last time I heard). Although I don't see how having more police is a positive aspect of a state.

Melbourne has their "missing link" (which is an election promise btw, nothing has been signed), Tullamarine Freeway widening, Ring Road upgrade, level crossing removal and Western Distributor. Most of these will be tolled. We have our north-south motorway, which may or may not involve tolls.

Commonwealth Games... apparently there is a bid for the 2030 edition, but does it really give us an net positive economic benefit? Look at Athens and Rio after their World Cup and Olympics.

Not saying things are all OK here, but let's put it into some perspective. It's not as bad as some people think it is. And our laid-back lifestyle and relaxed city can actually be a drawcard for migrants and tourists, as I hear from more and more people say who are visiting from interstate and overseas.

rev

#40 Post by rev » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Norman wrote:
rev wrote:How far behind have we fallen?

Just some examples.

C'mon Rev, it's all nice and good to look at brown-coloured glasses into your own state and look at rose-coloured glasses at the others, but let's put things in perspective.

Victoria has a big population, and a big population growth rate. Of course they will need more police officers (and nurses, ambulance drivers and so on). I'm sure SA Police is increasing the size force as well (300 last time I heard). Although I don't see how having more police is a positive aspect of a state.

Melbourne has their "missing link" (which is an election promise btw, nothing has been signed), Tullamarine Freeway widening, Ring Road upgrade, level crossing removal and Western Distributor. Most of these will be tolled. We have our north-south motorway, which may or may not involve tolls.

Commonwealth Games... apparently there is a bid for the 2030 edition, but does it really give us an net positive economic benefit? Look at Athens and Rio after their World Cup and Olympics.

Not saying things are all OK here, but let's put it into some perspective. It's not as bad as some people think it is. And our laid-back lifestyle and relaxed city can actually be a drawcard for migrants and tourists, as I hear from more and more people say who are visiting from interstate and overseas.
Mate we've got business people coming and wanting to setup new industry here in Adelaide, be it electric or hybrid vehicle manufacturing or growing medicial marijuana which will be very very lucrative in the not too distant future(and could become a very lucrative export for our state), and what's our state government do?

They like to pull out all the stops(and who know how much tax payers money) to lure foreign airlines to Adelaide though.....not that that is a bad thing. But we need new industries and jobs.
If we have new industries thriving and jobs flowing, not only will it benefit locals already here, but it will make South Australia and Adelaide more attractive for people to move to. If there's no job opportunities, people wont come. And there are very very very few job opportunities here.

Love him or hate him with the Lecornu saga, but Makris has it right. This city has a small town mentality.
The wealthiest person in this state pulling up stumps and moving his businesses hq to another state should spell it out for our state government but I bet not even that will wake them up.
Then again look at the offices of Santos in Adelaide and then look at the size of the building they have in Brisbane. Says it all really.
But hey the gangsters running OTR want to build an oversized office block in suburbia, and their monopoly that the government has been complicit in creating, turns over 1.6 billion annually while short changing it's workers. They make donuts here now too, big success stories for South Australia.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by monotonehell » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:49 pm

rev wrote:Let the butthurt flow through you my friend.
lol ten points for the bastardised Star Wars quote.
rev wrote:...and perhaps voting out the clowns of the three-four usual parties who adhere to mediocrity and stagnation, Labor Liberas Greens Family First along with their "independent" side kicks. Who to vote for instead is the real dilemma.
Well that's everyone.
rev wrote:Another example of how pathetic this state is with it's accepted stagnation. A private company wants to invest in Adelaide at the Holden site to grow commercial quantities of medical marijuana that will be worth close to a billion dollars to the state. Medicinal marijuana is on the verge of being legalised and becoming common across the country and here's our state not taking up the opportunity to take a slice of that very lucrative pie. How typical.
Even if it wasn't at the holden site find them another site. It's about creating jobs and new industries. Something none of the parties in this state seem to know anything about.
Hang on. You included the Greens in your laundry list of who not to vote for, and yet cited as an example of what's good something that the Greens spearheaded, wrote legislation for and got passed just last week. Greens are all over your commercial marijuana growing example.

Hell it's even in their name.

Dunno why you continue to discount the Greens and yet they stand for a lot of things you argue for.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:34 pm

We can't even electrify our train network properly.

Its probably a good thing actually, given the fact the power can't stay on.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

rev

#43 Post by rev » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:30 pm

monotonehell wrote:
rev wrote:Let the butthurt flow through you my friend.
lol ten points for the bastardised Star Wars quote.
:wink:
monotonehell wrote:
rev wrote:...and perhaps voting out the clowns of the three-four usual parties who adhere to mediocrity and stagnation, Labor Liberas Greens Family First along with their "independent" side kicks. Who to vote for instead is the real dilemma.
Well that's everyone.
Yep they are all useless and I wish we didn't have to keep paying for them to screw us.
monotonehell wrote:
rev wrote:Another example of how pathetic this state is with it's accepted stagnation. A private company wants to invest in Adelaide at the Holden site to grow commercial quantities of medical marijuana that will be worth close to a billion dollars to the state. Medicinal marijuana is on the verge of being legalised and becoming common across the country and here's our state not taking up the opportunity to take a slice of that very lucrative pie. How typical.
Hang on. You included the Greens in your laundry list of who not to vote for, and yet cited as an example of what's good something that the Greens spearheaded, wrote legislation for and got passed just last week. Greens are all over your commercial marijuana growing example.

Hell it's even in their name.

Dunno why you continue to discount the Greens and yet they stand for a lot of things you argue for.
I'm all for legalised marijuana for personal use, as an industry, for medicinal use, as a substitute to paper, for use in clothes and whatever else that it can be used for that in forgetting.
Imagine instead of destroying our forests, we turned parts of the desert into plantations with large glass houses growing marijuana.

I'm against the greens because they are against a lot of what I believe. Gun ownership for example.
I'm not in favour of any political party that exists at the moment. Some of what I believe may gel with each parties policies on that subject. I don't know I guess you could call me a centrist?

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Nathan wrote:
OlympusAnt wrote:We also happen to have one of the most expensive buildings ever constructed, that's only 8 stories tall. Its certainly no the Freedom Tower :banana:
It's been brought up many times before that the "fact" of the RAH being one of the most expensive buildings in the world is false.
Its like one one of those bullsh*t prefixes the Advertiser likes to tack on to things involving Adelaide to ramp up the negativity. Like adding 'Troubled' to "Collins Class Subs" :wallbash: or 'controversial' to Frome Street Bikeway :wallbash: :wallbash: or even labelling the Hindmarsh tram extension "the tram to nowhere" :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: it's all part of their ingenious plan to generate clicks and traffic on their website using human nature to attract us all, positive and negative alike :(

People like us write in to refute the negative crap and get caught up arguing with idiots. There's 4-8+ clicks right there:(

So Why do we argue on the internet?

"When a man finds a conclusion agreeable he accepts it without argument, but when he finds it disagreeable he will bring against it all the forces of logic and reason"~ Thucydides

We positive people just cant accept the negative slant because it grates so we try to fight it the only way we know how..with logic and reason.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Will » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:06 pm

One of the most frustrating aspects of living in SA, is dealing with the negativity of the locals. People here seem to cherry pick selective facts to "prove" how 'bad', 'backwards' or 'shit' things are.

For example, Rev you selectively picked Victoria's investment in their police force as evidence to support your argument. However, the police is just one element of society. Using a similar argument, one could selectively cherry pick the state government's $2 billion investment in building the country's most modern and advanced hospital as evidence of 'vision', 'leadership' and 'big city thinking'. Likewise, the same argument could be made with the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval, the desalination plant, the creation of the largest health and medical precinct in the Southern Hemisphere.....

No one is arguing that everything is perfect here, but being selectively negative doesn't help the situation. In fact, it makes things worse, as negativity doesn't make people wish to spend, expand and invest.