Another widespread power outage in SA

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Another widespread power outage in SA

#61 Post by ghs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:30 am

More outages again after the storm last night. 60,000 without power. Ludicrous.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:46 am

ghs wrote:More outages again after the storm last night. 60,000 without power. Ludicrous.
Its a storm what do you expect?

ghs

#63 Post by ghs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:59 am

I expect the state government and the councils to
cut back the trees away from the power lines.

The government can afford to spend ridiculous amounts of money on extending the o-bahn to save a few minutes
each way but then they can't give us a reliable power supply.

Bad weather isn't a new invention which just started 6 months ago. The power supply was reliable a few years ago and I am sure we had storms back then.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:22 am

ghs wrote:I expect the state government and the councils to

The government can afford to spend ridiculous amounts of money on extending the o-bahn to save a few minutes

Bad weather isn't a new invention which just started 6 months ago. The power supply was reliable a few years ago and I am sure we had storms back then.
I've been alive for 30 years and since I can remember every year we have had blackouts at some point due to weather. It is definitely not a new phenomenon, however what is, is the media beating it up to stir up the public and seems to be working.... The only blackout that is completely unacceptable and must be learnt form to not happen again was the statewide outage last year. Other than that they come and go and its part of life. I'm sure we can go without power for a few hours a couple of times a year because of a storm.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#65 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:36 am

SA Power Networks is responsible for cutting back trees from power lines and undergrounding them. If they were not privatised then we could blame the government.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:30 am

The storm has been one of many in recent months that has caused electricity issues.

"We're really getting unprecedented weather, people who have been working for 35 years in SA Power Networks say they've never seen this number of storms, this intensity of storms and this frequency of storms," Mr Roberts said.

"It's been crazy since July and I hope people understand it is weather related."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-20/t ... sa/8196630
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#67 Post by SRW » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:39 pm

I am again without power for the 4th time in 6 months and I'm not blaming the state government. But we can't deny any longer that with climate change the intensity and frequency of storms will only become greater. That's now unavoidable and not something we can meaningfully address as a state anyway. We can, however, make more effort to mitigate the effects on the electricity grid through measures like under-grounding powerlines with priority to vulnerable areas. I'm not sure if that's something the government can mandate, but it will need to be advocated.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#68 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Cross post from my Facebook / Jay Weatherill's page.

Jay Weatherill

Srong leadership would be to re--nationalize SA Power Networks back and embark on an ambitious energy infrastructure program to underground the power lines, rebuild the electricity transformers and invest in more diverse clean energy sources that would generate thousands of jobs. This would help reduce the unemployment rate and give South Australians job security, skills training, increase business confidence, new infrastructure, a more aesthetic city, and a secure power supply.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#69 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:59 pm

And cue all of the cries in the Advertiser comments section about gold-plating the network.
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by Spurdo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:02 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Strong leadership would be to re--nationalize SA Power Networks back and embark on an ambitious energy infrastructure program to underground the power lines
My thoughts exactly

Nathan

#71 Post by Nathan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm not suggesting it's the solution, but it might also be a catalyst for more people looking into solar + battery storage solutions, especially as the technology improves.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by crawf » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:21 pm

That storm though! :shock:

We lost power just before midnight and was restored at around 9am this morning. Currently only 1400 properties still have no power.

ghs

#73 Post by ghs » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Ben wrote:

I've been alive for 30 years and since I can remember every year we have had blackouts at some point due to weather. It is definitely not a new phenomenon, however what is, is the media beating it up to stir up the public and seems to be working.... The only blackout that is completely unacceptable and must be learnt form to not happen again was the statewide outage last year. Other than that they come and go and its part of life. I'm sure we can go without power for a few hours a couple of times a year because of a storm.
What about the outage between Xmas and New Year ?

A lot of residents in the hills didn't have power for 3 - 4 days. Is that acceptable ?

4 Outages in the last 6 months is not good enough.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#74 Post by rev » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:28 pm

ghs wrote:
Ben wrote:

A lot of residents in the hills didn't have power for 3 - 4 days. Is that acceptable ?

Waaaah waaaah have a sook ya clown

What do sooky whingers like you expect governments to do, create a device to control the weather?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#75 Post by Norman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:58 pm

ghs wrote:
Ben wrote:

In the metro area? No. In the hills? Possibly. Anyway, the blame lies with SAPN, not the government.