2018 South Australian State Election

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Who will receive your first preference vote in the 2018 State Election?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:28 am

Labor
73%
Liberal
10%
SA Best
4%
Greens
2%
Nationals
No votes
Conservatives
4%
Dignity
4%
One Nation
No votes
Independent
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 49

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#31 Post by Nathan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Geoff Winter is still making commercials, I see.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by crawf » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:53 pm

HeapsGood wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 pm
SA Best have released their campaign video, needless to say it was probably directed by Tommy Wiseau.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZdl1o7eOyo
Is this actually for real?

:shock:

Nort

#33 Post by Nort » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 am
Full announcement video is now up on Jay's Facebook page.

Essentially a $35 million extension of the existing fibre optic network out into the suburbs, resulting in data speeds equal to the fastest in the world.

I really think the government's onto a winner with turning the state into a high tech hub - I really hope they get another term to keep the momentum in place as I get the Libs' idea of creating jobs and industry doesn't stretch beyond activities involving hitting pig iron with lump hammers.
I'm in an office connected to this today and I just uploaded a 400mb file in 33 seconds. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Goodsy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:29 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:

Essentially a $35 million extension of the existing fibre optic network out into the suburbs, resulting in data speeds equal to the fastest in the world.

I really think the government's onto a winner with turning the state into a high tech hub - I really hope they get another term to keep the momentum in place as I get the Libs' idea of creating jobs and industry doesn't stretch beyond activities involving hitting pig iron with lump hammers.
I'm in an office connected to this today and I just uploaded a 400mb file in 33 seconds. :shock: :shock: :shock:

do a speedtest

http://www.speedtest.net

Llessur2002

#35 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 pm

HeapsGood wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 pm
SA Best have released their campaign video, needless to say it was probably directed by Tommy Wiseau.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZdl1o7eOyo
The more I think about this, the more it starts to fill me with dread about the possiblity that Xenophon will actually make inroads into South Australian politics in March. For a start, in two whole minutes of advert there is not a single policy or idea - just vague statements that they'll 'sort out electricity prices', 'fix health' etc. How exactly are they going to do this? I can't remember hearing more than a couple of actual ideas from SA Best - I think that regional bus trial was about the only actual policy I know of. Other than that it's just soundbites and brain farts. The leadership debate was exactly the same - not one idea, policy or statement - just variations of 'I don't agree with these two, we'll look into that and find a better way' and so on. If people genuinely get sucked in by this void-of-policies nonsense then it could mean that a significant portion of our MPs literally won't have anything to contribute to the State other than arguing against any policies brought up by whoever forms government (or the majority of a coalition) because that's all they know how to do.

And just look at that f*cking advert. Whilst it may seem amusing at first, and I did initially assume it was a tongue-in-cheek attempt, I'm starting to believe that it's an accurate reflection of what SA Best have to offer. A completely backward view of what the State needs - a load of baby boomers prancing around, waving their arms and singing what could be a 1990s jingle for Cheap as Chips whilst Nick arses around in a fruit & veg shop. As my wife said when I first showed it to her - "it's so old Adelaide, just like a political advert from the 90s". I'm starting to think that's what will end up happening to the State if Nick and his happy little helpers have anything to do with it. :roll:

Nort

#36 Post by Nort » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm
Nort wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:29 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:

do a speedtest

http://www.speedtest.net
450 down 483 up.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by Spurdo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 pm
A completely backward view of what the State needs - a load of baby boomers prancing around
Just asking but how come around here and reddit everything is about age or generation? Personally I don't give a toss if people were born in the 60's, 70's, 80's or whenever so long as people are moving here to work and boost the economy that's all I really care about.
Last edited by Spurdo on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by Goodsy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:46 pm

450 down 483 up.

:shock: that's incredible

Llessur2002

#39 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:18 pm

Spurdo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:49 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 pm
A completely backward view of what the State needs - a load of baby boomers prancing around
Just asking but how come with you reddit types everything is about age or generation? Personally I don't give a toss if people were born in the 60's, 70's, 80's or whenever so long as people are moving here to work and boost the economy that's all I really care about.
I'll be honest - I'm 37 and genuinely haven't really got a clue what reddit actually is. I've kinda fallen behind the times technology-wise. I do, however, waste time on YouTube particularly well :wink:

I didn't mean to come accross as bashing a generation - the reason I metioned the baby boomers is that both the Libs and, according to one of the first lines in their "advert", SA Best acknowledge that there is a problem with young people leaving SA for interstate but neither seem to understand or acknowlede why they are leaving.

Yes, jobs are an issue but I get the impression that the Libs think that increasing the number of manufacturing and mundane office jobs will be the magic bullet in keeping young people here. The people that I know who have left for interstate have done so because of the lifestyle and type of job they want to work in. Labor's achievements of creating a fantastic small bar scene, extending public transport, encouraging apartment building, growing the renewable energy sector, introducing fast internet and attracting the types of industries that young people aspire to work in (high-tech manufacturing like self-driving and electric cars, cutting edge medical research, visual effects industry etc) and slowing eroding our reputation as a stuffy backwater will do far more to keep young people here than if all of the major banks moved their HQs here tomorrow and brought all of the nation's ship and sub building with them.

Everything I've heard from the Libs plays towards the concerns of older generations (hospital car parking, protecting heritage buildings, building more roads, introducing harsh penalties for marijuana possession and truancy, more national parks, rate capping, veterans health, aged care, bowel cancer prevention, anti-terroism powers for police etc) - I've not seen a single policy which includes even the smallest nod towards high-tech and creative industries, fast internet, building on city vibrancy etc. SA Best filling their advert with grey haired gentlefolk titting around like it's 1995 doesn't fill me with confidence that they think any differently...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#40 Post by rev » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Labor hopes to get in on the promise of continuing to build the state, continuing where they have left off...

Liberals hope to get in without any substance to “policies”, and by convincing people they are tired of a Labor government...

SA Best hopes to get in on populism, with out any substance and generally relying on voter apathy to get them over the line...

The rest aren’t worth mentioning..not that liberal or as best are..

Labor seem to be in a strong, winning position if you ignore the media hype over SA Best.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Election wrap-up for today. No policy except the new old RAH "plan", more bickering and Xenephon's bizarre ad.
SA election: MPs' bank investments in the spotlight as Labor attack on Marshall backfires
By political reporter Nick Harmsen
Posted about 3 hours ago

SA Labor has accused Liberal leader Steven Marshall of failing to publicly disclose his significant shareholdings in the major banks during his months leading the charge against the Weatherill Government's doomed bank tax.

But the claim fell flat when it emerged Mr Marshall had met all parliamentary disclosure rules, and the Premier failing to answer whether his own ministers with bank shareholdings had met the Ministerial Code of Conduct by absenting themselves from cabinet deliberations on the new tax.

The Premier's office provided documents outlining Mr Marshall's shareholdings just minutes before Jay Weatherill conducted a press conference.

The documents show the Opposition Leader, his parents and sister are directors of a company called Next Australia Pty Ltd. According to the documents, the company owns almost 32,000 Westpac shares and 14,250 ANZ shares.

Mr Weatherill later seemed unwilling to take up the charge against Mr Marshall — saying the Opposition Leader had "questions to answer" but declining to say what those questions were.

"Ultimately it's a matter for Steven Marshall to answer these questions, not for me," he said.

Mr Marshall said he had complied with his parliamentary disclosure obligations, with Next Australia listed on the members' register of interests.

"I've declared all my shareholdings. It's in my register of interests," he said.

"I'm not even aware of what the shareholding of the family superannuation trust is.

"The fact of the matter is the Premier, every cabinet minister, probably every person in the Parliament has shares in banks via their superannuation."

Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis acknowledged Mr Marshall had not breached disclosure rules, but he said voters deserved to know Mr Marshall was a shareholder in the major banks at the time he was voting against the introduction of a new levy on their deposits.

"Mr Marshall was arguing that voting for the bank levy would lower dividends and share price without telling everyone he was a major shareholder," Mr Koutsantonis said.

"These things pay dividends of over $60,000 a year.

"Does he really expect ordinary mums and dads to believe that he didn't know he owned $1.3 million worth of bank shares?"

SA Best leader Nick Xenophon accused Labor of negative politics.

"I don't think anyone could accuse Steven Marshall and I of being the best of friends at the moment," he said.

"But I think it's fair to say that if he's disclosed his interest as I understand he has, then that settles the matter.

"I think people are switched off by this sort of negative politics."

Labor refuses to discuss possible breaches
The Premier said Labor MPs who own bank shares did not have any conflict of interest during the bank tax debate, because all voted in favour of the new levy.

However, he refused to say whether any ministers declared a conflict of interest while discussing the imposition of the levy around the cabinet table.

"I'm not disclosing what occurs within cabinet," Mr Weatherill told reporters.

"You've seen what members of Parliament did on the floor of the South Australian chamber."

The Ministerial Code of Conduct requires actual, potential or apparent conflicts of interest be disclosed to the Premier in writing.

"A minister must not participate in any deliberations on a matter in respect of which a conflict of interest has validly been disclosed by that Minister and must withdraw from the Cabinet room during those deliberations," the code states.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-20/l ... es/9468024

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:08 am

I'm honestly terrified at the thought of some of these SA Best candidates making it into the SA political landscape. That video in itself is damn right cringe-worthy and embarrassing, it seriously highlights how out of touch SA Best is with modern South Australia. Your wife is right Llessur2002, it screams 'old Adelaide'.

I like to sit on the fence with politics, though at this rate Labor will again have my vote. Thanks to the investment and determination by the Rann/Weatherill Government, Adelaide is currently transforming right under our eyes and it seems Labor have a clear vision of continuing this. Labor also seem to have far better policies that will be beneficial to all South Australians and will help the state continue to prosper. I am however tired of the arrogance by Labor, constant delays with projects and the stronghold the SDA has over the current State Government.

Liberal on the other-hand seems that have learnt absolute nothing with the last multiple elections hence the rise of SA Best. You would think after an extraordinary 16 years they would finally have their sh*t together, but it seems it's the same crap recycled over and over. The only thing I 100% agree with is the deregulation of trading hours, which is well overdue. However the Libs should have ditched Marshall at the last election and brought in someone fresh, I'm sure he's a lovely guy though he comes across as weak compared to Weatherill. Who despite his faults, Weatherill is a passionate and strong minded leader for SA.

It's still early days and it could seriously go either way. I hope for Liberals sake they can pull a rabbit out of a hat and show SA a strong alternative in Government. Maybe an alternative to trams, and actually commit to electrifying the entire train network within a decent timeframe and plan to build a city loop *wishful thinking*

Llessur2002

#43 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:29 am

Meanwhile, on the progressive side of the political spectrum:

Llessur2002

#44 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 am

Bloody hell - something resembling an opinion:
SA-BEST leader Nick Xenophon has also backed the push for a 75 per cent renewable energy target, “if it’s done properly”.

“If there is a proper transition and there is a guarantee it won’t mean higher power prices, but indeed lower prices,” he said.

“If you don’t implement it well, it will be bad for the state.”
From: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... 4d609cebb7

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#45 Post by rev » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 am
Bloody hell - something resembling an opinion:
SA-BEST leader Nick Xenophon has also backed the push for a 75 per cent renewable energy target, “if it’s done properly”.

“If there is a proper transition and there is a guarantee it won’t mean higher power prices, but indeed lower prices,” he said.

“If you don’t implement it well, it will be bad for the state.”
From: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... 4d609cebb7
He's right. But so is the average bloke down at the pub.

What's the 25% storage even mean? 25% of our power requirements will be available as a backup from battery storage?
If so they should be aiming for more..say 50%.