We want to emigrate from scotland to Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
cocoschick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

We want to emigrate from scotland to Adelaide

#1 Post by cocoschick » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Hello all, We are in the first stages of emigrating, we have decided that Adelaide is the place for us, We have 3 daughters 11, 8, 5 yrs old does anyone have any info on the best places to stay & schools in the area, any advice would be great. :) thanks

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#2 Post by bdm » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:29 pm

http://www.burnside.sa.gov.au

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Burnside

Most elite private schools are within or close to Burnside. The three best-performing public high schools (Marrayatville, Glenunga and Unley) are also there.

That said it's pricey ($AUD500 000 [200GBPD)for houses.

Other good areas are Tea Tree Gully, Campbelltown, Mitcham, Unley and Holdfast Bay.

cocoschick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by cocoschick » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:28 am

thanks bdm those sites helped a lot :D

Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by Maximus_Marc » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:01 pm

cocoschick the best suburbs in adelaide are the eastern and south eastern and the inner west, south and north can be alright aswell. If you find a suburb your interested in, just post its name on here and I'm sure someone will give you the lay down what that suburb/area is like.

cocoschick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by cocoschick » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:13 pm

Thanks, this site is great the amount of info you all have here is brill. :D

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:16 am

Hey there cocoschick,

Try having a look through realestate.com.au and domain.com.au for rough property prices and nearby transport/schools and so on. As Maximus_Marc said just note the suburb and we'll get the low down on it for you.

Cheers! Welcome to the site btw.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#7 Post by Redback20 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:56 pm

hey,
Depends what you want cocoschick as theres so many suburbs (700??), ie. hills, close to city, sea views, beach, etc. Start to narrow it down first or you'll be overwhelmed!
If you post your prefs then i'm sure you'll get plenty of advice which is best for what you want.

primary schools (your kid won't go to high school til theyre Year 8) are in most every suburb and in my experience compare extremely favourably to the UK even up to very much superior - thats IMO

Do you have your visa yet?

cocoschick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by cocoschick » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:55 pm

Haven't applied yet, my hubby needs to have his skills assessed by the TRA. Thanks for the feed back, i will look in to narrowing my areas down a bit, would like not to be right in the city, mabe more rural type suburbs on the outskirts. I have also been looking on realestate.com.au as suggested (thanks for that) i will post more once i've had a good look. thanks all :D

bva
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by bva » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:54 am

i also found that http://www.auctioneers.com.au is a good site for finding out exactly how much auctioned properties went for

i am a south aussie living in london and after visiting scotland a few times (love it) i think you would settle in very well in adelaide!! it is a great place to live

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by JAKJ » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:43 am

If you are looking for a semi-rural lifestyle try the Adelaide hills. Stirling, Aldgate, Hahndorf, Mt Barker are all within 40 mins of the city centre (most of this distance by freeway)

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:09 am

JAKJ wrote:If you are looking for a semi-rural lifestyle try the Adelaide hills. Stirling, Aldgate, Hahndorf, Mt Barker are all within 40 mins of the city centre (most of this distance by freeway)
Good suggestions. Also, Blackwood and Belair are hills suburbs even closer to the city than those mentioned above, with a similar stlye.

Another suggestion is to look at areas such as Flagstaff Hill and Aberfoyle Park. They would be a bit more affordable than those above and are not quite hills, but foothills I suppose you could call them. They are a less "country-style" and more suburban but spacious and have many trees. Flagstaff Hill and Aberfoyle Park are 30 minutes south of the city centre.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#12 Post by Redback20 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:03 am

And Blackwood and Belair also have train services to the CBD if that's important to you, it was for us and I use the train every day, clean punctual and value for money.

Agree with tyler, esp the new areas like Flagstaff Pines, that might be a good option for you cocoschick... the outer suburbs tend to be less developed and cheaper land prices so you can design/build your own house. It was something we dreamed of doing before we came here... and now it's just one more dream that's about to be fulfilled in the next few weeks, thanks Adelaide!

A big tip from experience... if it's not already then make location your utmost priority when you get here, even if you don't immediately see a house or land available... get your kids into school there and rent until you do. The last thing you wanna do is uproot your 3 young kids again 6mths later just as theyre making new mates, only cos you didnt check out enough areas to begin with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:32 pm

cocoschick wrote:Haven't applied yet, my hubby needs to have his skills assessed by the TRA. Thanks for the feed back, i will look in to narrowing my areas down a bit, would like not to be right in the city, mabe more rural type suburbs on the outskirts. I have also been looking on realestate.com.au as suggested (thanks for that) i will post more once i've had a good look. thanks all :D
If your after a rural/suburban type area, I reconmand Mount Barker

- The population is around 15-20,000 and growing (fast)
- Just 1/2hour from the Adelaide CBD
- Has everything you need such as supermarkets, cinema, banks, shopping centre and soon a homemaker centre
- Has a very unique rural feel
- Pretty affordable
- Huge rural allotments right near the town centre which are pretty affordable
- Close to the beautiful german village of Hahndorf
- Best Pizza Restaurant in SA :D
- Great Private Schools
- TAFE College
- Alright public transport system (but will be allot better after the 25/2)

http://www.dcmtbarker.sa.gov.au

Though it has very narrow roads and lacks a nightlife big time.

Other areas i suggest are Stirling-Aldgate-Bridgewater, Belair, Blackwood and Flagstaff Hill.

Anyway this website should help you out
http://www.southaustralia.biz/move

hope that helped...

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:56 pm

Problem with Mt Barker is there's not much in the way of public transport alternatives, other than buses that run down the freeway. The Modbury area wins hands down in that respect.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#15 Post by Redback20 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:03 pm

what happens on the 25/2 crawf (sorry to be ignorant!)

my mate lives at MB and whenever i go there i go across the train line, which i've been told is the same line as the Belair (metro) line, yet its unused, is that true?

With its rapidly increasing popn is there any talk of a commuter line reopening? was it ever open?

100 questions i know...

Hahndorf, best ever schnitzel at the german arms!