Nuclear power plant

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
stelaras
High Rise Poster!

Nuclear power plant

#1 Post by stelaras » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:05 am

The link below is to an article in the advertiser regarding building of a nuclear power plant. The possible locations are SA or VIC.

The corporation of 3 of Australias richest men, have approached both the Rann and Bracks government.

As usual the Rann government has said no... whilst the Bracks governemnet has said it would put it to a referrendum.

In my opinion, we should be going nuclear, we have 70% (or there abouts) of the worlds yellowcake.

It makes great economic sense to build them....Clean coal technology is still a little into the future and whilst i don't want to undermine the importance of renewable energy sources, generating electricity from water, wind and solar, really won't solve our energy problems in the future

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21292780-2,00.html

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Howie » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:10 am

I cast my vote shortly before reading this post. My vote was Yes. Surprised to see more than half of the voters have voted yes also, usually media mike has the public pretty spooked about this stuff.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Will » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:36 pm

The state government should put this issue to a referendum. In that case if the public vote YES then they can wash their hands of the issue. The government is playing political games.

Nuclear power is safe!

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by stelaras » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:36 pm

agreed! nuclear power is safe if handled properly. If you look at lucas heights i think it has been around for about 50 years...If i read correctly it is being or has been de-commisioned and a new plant being built!

Irrespective of the games politicians play...Australia should become a nuclear power state...1 plant in every state will produce more than enough energy..

Realistically only the first two power plants would be expensive as we would have to get other countires to build them (as they have the know how) then once we learn ourselves the costs would be reduced

One thing for sure....there wouldn't be blackouts is SA if we had nuclear power! a vote winner ide say!

hmmmm methinks this might be my 100th post

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by stelaras » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:36 pm

nope the previous post was my 99th...making this my 100th post!

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:28 pm

The only issue is where to dump the spent radio-active fuel rods? If we can sort this out (in an not too expensive and safe manner) we'll be alright.

Cheers

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by stelaras » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:48 pm

granted!

their is some conjecture as to where to store the spent fuel rods...I believe that we are lucky in that respect.

Lucky because australia is an island continent..This means that we dont suffer from the dramatic earthquakes that most of the world suffers. Our worst earthquake has been 5.5 on the richter, the average for Australia is something like 3-3.5 magnitude mainly concentrated in and around the cities.. Thus locations can be built in the desert which can be bomb and earthquake proof to store the spent fuel rods. The locations can be underground and kept in secret to avoid any issues..

I have never really understood why we have been against it. I work with radiation all the time as a medical professional. Im exposed to four to five times the doses that the average australian gets per annum, and iam still considered to be way under the required doses that can lead to mutation/cancer.

point is....if you respect radiation it will respect you, their really isnt a problem with handling it, we are not a third world country, so we would build adequate control systems to remove ourselves out of harms way

It really is the only way forward for us, the power hungry consumers!

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:05 am

It is amazing how much radiation we are already bombarded with everyday and no one takes any precautions. So why is there so much fear of the nuclear industry which is probably one of the safest around? A lot of people need to be educated on this issue.

Cheers

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:47 am

There is a poll on Adelaide now asking whether people think SA should have a Nuclear Power Plant. I was expecting the results to be 99 to 1 against but there were way more yes's and that's after a few hundred votes so the public is not as aginst the issue as the advertiser and various other media would have us belive.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by stelaras » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:56 am

it is false fear....

The reason why this is bought on is basically because of the infrastructure costs involved in constructing a nuclear power plant, and the upgrades required to the "grid" when the power plant plugs in, will equate to a loss of votes to the government.

Aside from the cost of a mini plant about 1-1.5bn dollars (which would provide enough power for most of Sth Australia), there needs to be infrustructure upgrades to the grid...This costs money that the government needs to provide. This in turn means that the cost of electricity will increase for the end user (us) by about 70% (my brother in law works for one of Australia's electricity infrustructure providers). So the increase cost in power will end up being a vote loser for any government in power at the time!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Howie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:36 am

Mike Rann's comments on nuclear power in SA

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/aud ... uclear.mp3

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by stelaras » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:51 pm

a great deal of scare-mongering by our leader!

If people were actually aware of how much radiation they are exposed too in any given hour of the day, they would be alarmed! Just bad press that radiation is equal to eventual and probable meltdowns...i.e. Chernobyl.

That part of russia is def third wold, no QC and decon SOP's in place and government that ran out of money...

Our plants would not be governmnet operated or government owned therefore appropriate policies would be inplace to safeguard us from meltdown. Case in exampe is Lucus Heights which is to be or has been decommisioned because of the age of the plant!!

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#13 Post by Captain Howdy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:42 pm

aye aye lets go nuclear!