'No chance' Adelaide will bid for Grand Prix

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
tambi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#31 Post by tambi » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:23 pm

To see F1 one would be fantastic. I agree with many of your proposals and think the best option would be to combine the F1 and V8 as they used to do. One of the reasons the Adelaide F1 race was considered so good was the array of support races that were organised around the F1 event. V8s have begun to get global exposure but they cannot beat the exposure that F1 could bring to Adelaide.
After all this fuss over the Victoria Park development having an event like this would really validate its development. Lets hope it happens.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by Brando » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:27 am

shuza wrote:
madexml wrote:Bring it back to Adelaide the home of Motor Sport!
Adelaide knows their Fast Car business! our weather is better, and our city is better and we party better!

with any luck we can actually host and AFL Grand Final out of bloody Melbourne - after all it is an AUSTRALIAN Competition!!!!
Sorry bit off track there but you get my point! :?
We party better? Since when?
I'm sure madexml was refering to the party atmosphere created during both clipsal and the old F1 days.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#33 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:08 am

Pistol78 wrote:
No chance! The G is the home of AFL and we should keep playing the final there. The AFL would NEVER let the final be played at any other venue. Period.
no it isnt the MCG is the home of the VFL,

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by crawf » Sun May 20, 2007 9:09 pm

F1 night race or lose it

May 20, 2007 12:15am
Article from: Sunday Mail (SA)

THE Australian Grand Prix will be ripped out of Melbourne unless it is held at night, Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has warned.
But even staging the event under lights may not be enough to save the Albert Park spectacle, when its current contract expires in 2010.

Mr Ecclestone issued a blunt assessment of the race's future, in an exclusive interview with the Sunday Mail.

"Unless they (organisers) can come up with something satisfactory that's going to satisfy us I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to continue there," he said.

Mr Ecclestone's stand appears to signal the end of the road for the beleaguered race, which has suffered spiralling financial losses, a decline in crowds, global TV audience and sponsorship, and this year the loss of its V8 race.

Mr Ecclestone said AGP Corporation chairman Ron Walker was aware of his demands for a new contract.

"Ron is not stupid and he knows exactly what is at stake," Mr Ecclestone said.

However, the Sunday Mail has learned organisers regard changing the event to night-time as "not a huge priority".

"I don't think it is going to happen," a grand prix corporation insider said.

"To have Formula One cars hooning around Albert Park at 9pm won't go down well with the locals and it's a family event, so afternoon is obviously the ideal time."

The pressure on Melbourne increased nine days ago when Singapore was awarded a grand prix for 2008 – on the basis it is held at night.

A Victorian Government spokesman said: "We will be seeking to keep the event in Melbourne."

lol I had to post that, we will gladly take it back thanks Melbourne - Actually if they want the event changed to a night race than I can't see it being held in Adelaide either as the nimbys would have a fit (same for Melbourne) which is fair enough because it will be in the night time (not the most appropriate time for families and nearby residents).

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sun May 20, 2007 9:13 pm

Screw them...heheh

If they wanted a quiet life then why live in kent town?

Go live in the country or something!!

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by bmw boy » Sun May 20, 2007 9:28 pm

hahahha no shit jimmy :lol:

and the MCG is the home of the AFL, what u tlaking about willis...

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#37 Post by Cruise » Sun May 20, 2007 10:00 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Screw them...heheh

:D I love it!!!!

(and i stand by my MCG/VFL comment)

Mants
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by Mants » Sun May 20, 2007 11:34 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Screw them...heheh

i totally agree

i have a friend who has lived in kent town for the last 12years, and has finally moved, she was so sick of all the constant noise and road closures.

a sensible choice. others should make the move rather than complain.

sidler
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#39 Post by sidler » Mon May 21, 2007 4:50 pm

The Gold Coast Bulletin had an article today about the GP. It sounds like they are going to throw everything at getting it up there.

They are planning to have GP in March and Indy in Oct, dont know if they could handle both but you never know with the Gold Coast.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by bmw boy » Mon May 21, 2007 5:12 pm

sidler wrote:The Gold Coast Bulletin had an article today about the GP. It sounds like they are going to throw everything at getting it up there.

They are planning to have GP in March and Indy in Oct, dont know if they could handle both but you never know with the Gold Coast.
the sluts!

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by JAKJ » Mon May 21, 2007 5:31 pm

sidler wrote:The Gold Coast Bulletin had an article today about the GP. It sounds like they are going to throw everything at getting it up there.

We shoudd do that aswell.. with v8/gp in march october

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#42 Post by Ho Really » Wed May 23, 2007 9:15 pm

Any of you guys thought about the costs involved in staging a night-time F1 event and whether it would make a profit?

Cheers

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by shuza » Thu May 24, 2007 10:44 am

With Adelaide's street circuit being in the woods. I don't think we have the resources to make effective use of transforming it into a night event.
Leave it to the coasters. Theyr'e pretty much hell-bent on anything.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: 'No chance' Adelaide will bid for Grand Prix

#44 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:08 am

If it were ever to return, I think November would be a better month to hold it in than October or September. It would coincide closer to other events to get a sort of Mad March later in the year. In November there's the Christmas Pageant, Adelaide Horse Trials and Feast, while Tasting Australia could easily be moved from October. I'm not sure about its feasibility vis-a-vis favourable weather conditions, but the World Solar Challenge currently held in late October could also coincide with a returned Grand Prix.
Keep Adelaide Weird

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

Re: 'No chance' Adelaide will bid for Grand Prix

#45 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:16 pm

Damn the expense! And damn those East Terrace NIMBYs!

350kkph! 17000 revs!

Where else are we going to get a buzz like that? Isn't it worth every dollar?

If they won't have it around the city, then let's have it from Glen Osmond to Murray Bridge on the South East Freeway, or from Wingfield to Victor on good old South Road. So many oppoprtunities! Gorge Road to Chain of Ponds... Norton Summit - up the old road down the new one again and again...