'No chance' Adelaide will bid for Grand Prix

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: 'No chance' Adelaide will bid for Grand Prix

#61 Post by Brando » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:17 pm

rev wrote:
crawf wrote:Source?

I think whats going to happen is the event will leave Australia and go overseas, like maybe Russia
Trust me, if it leaves Melbourne, it will be going to Queensland.
Stop dreaming about it coming back to Adelaide, it aint gona happen in our life time.
Queensland will not get the F1. Bernie will sadly pull the plug on Australia after two states political inuendo.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by JamesXander » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:39 pm

Adelaide should have never lost the F1's. I really want them to come back, but thinking about it just now I don't think we can afford it. Not now atleast. Its quite sad though, we spend all that money on advertising for our tourism destinations, but the F1's could/would do about 10 times what our tourism teams currently does.

I wouldn't be surprised if WA put in a bid to get the event, they have money to burn, yet don't really have any major events (besides the red bull air race...which you can watch for free haha.)

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#63 Post by Bulldozer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:00 pm

JamesXander wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if WA put in a bid to get the event, they have money to burn, yet don't really have any major events (besides the red bull air race...which you can watch for free haha.)
They have the Australian leg of the WRC!

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#64 Post by JamesXander » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:26 pm

wow..how could i forget...........

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#65 Post by Edgar » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:00 pm

I wouldn't even be surprise if Australia loses out in holding any F1 races in the future.

There are so many big rich players emerging from Asia who are willing to do anything to host this F1 race.

Singapore are set to host the first of its kind, a night street race circuit, in order to satisfy the continental viewers, something that is deemed impossible by the Victorian government, and something that I predict would not even capable of achieving in Australia wise. Factor in the financial cost, Australia would certainly lose out.

Abu Dhabi is rumoured to join as well, if everything else remains, that means the middle eastern country would host 2 races, and south east Asian country would host 2 as well, Malaysia and Singapore, add in China and Japan, I think in the next few years or so, half of the races would be going on around Asia and the developing countries.
Last edited by Edgar on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Howie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:41 pm

Well it pretty much died when F1 left Adelaide, even the drivers and teams weren't happy with the move to melbourne.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by Pistol » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:23 pm

Bulldozer wrote:
JamesXander wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if WA put in a bid to get the event, they have money to burn, yet don't really have any major events (besides the red bull air race...which you can watch for free haha.)
They have the Australian leg of the WRC!
Not any more...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#68 Post by Ho Really » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:45 am

A Victoria Park corporate box/grandstand would not be enough on its own to cut the costs. To make some money the circuit would have to be permanent. Where would you build one and all its infrastructure? Will there be sufficient returns from this investment? In my opinion it is a bit late for something like this, currently we wouldn't be able to compete with the emerging Asian countries. We lost the boat too many years ago when we had it.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#69 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:45 pm

Trust me, if it leaves Melbourne, it will be going to Queensland.
Stop dreaming about it coming back to Adelaide, it aint gona happen in our life time.
Er when I did say anything about Adelaide :roll: , and our life time :shock:

And how do you know for sure its going to Queensland?

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:43 pm

Not sure where to put this as the other thread is closed. This is as close as we will get back to the old F1 race. This is great news. Having the race right near Rundle Street is much better. Brings a much better party atmosphere to the race. Traffic snarls will be worse but hey those eastern suburbs folk can get over it :D Article from AdelaideNow:

Clipsal looks to bigger circuit
TOM ZED, STUART INNES
December 07, 2007 09:20pm

CLIPSAL 500 organisers want to return to the longer Grand Prix circuit because of booming crowds and the scrapping of the Victoria Park redevelopment.

This comes as V8 Supercars Australia called the Adelaide City Council absurd and backward over the redevelopment rebuff.
South Australian Motor Sport Board chairman Roger Cook said yesterday the event, which will celebrate its 10th anniversary next year, had become so popular the existing circuit might not be able to accommodate the growing crowds.

"Not having the Victoria Park redevelopment has hastened the need for us to look at our options, including switching to the bigger circuit," he said. "If the general public numbers keep growing then I think we're going to be forced to look at the bigger circuit."

The Clipsal 500 track turns from Hutt St into Bartels Rd and then on to Dequetteville Tce.

The Adelaide Formula One GP circuit continued along East Tce to turn right on to Rundle Rd, making the Dequetteville Tce straight longer.

The GP circuit was 3.78km long and last was used in November, 1995. The Clipsal circuit is 3.22km.

If the Clipsal 500 race followed the GP circuit, the Saturday and Sunday races each would need to be reduced from 78 laps to about 66 to keep the race distance the same.

Team Vodafone Ford V8 Supercar driver Jamie Whincup in Adelaide yesterday said extending the circuit was a good idea.

"I think the longer the circuit the better it is," he said. "It will mean more challenges."

Tony Cochrane, chairman of the sport's governing body, V8 Supercars Australia, said it was bitterly disappointing council's stance had forced the State Government to abandon redevelopment plans. "This is an unbelievably short-sighted and narrow-minded position by the council," Mr Cochrane said.

He complained about council's "backwards thinking" concerning the home of the Clipsal 500.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said he was surprised at Mr Cochrane's attack on the council but said: "Returning to the Grand Prix circuit would bring the race back into the heart of the streets of Adelaide."

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by Edgar » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:01 pm

Hope it get approval and can't wait to watch those V8s doing WOT down the straight.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#72 Post by Edgar » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:57 am

Just went and YouTube-d some old videos of the Australian GP when it was being held at Adelaide and stumble upon this one

Where is that corner where Hakinnen crashed? Is it Rundle Rd - Dequetteville Terrace? Anyway there are some really funny and interesting clips towards the end. :D

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#73 Post by Shuz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:21 pm

That was good, thanks Edgar for reliving the glory of the 90's.

How did we lose something so majestic? The atmosphere, the passion and the honour of hosting the F1s? I think we should take it back and relive the glory days once again, put our city in the international limelight again. That, the Clipsal and the ProTour would just make a wondrous list of occasions to host.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#74 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:24 pm

IMHO we'll never get the F1 back in Adelaide as Bernie Eccleston wants the Australia, Japan & maybe Singapore to be held at NIGHT to boost european TV ratings. Can you imagine approval being given for F1 cars to scream around our city streets for 4 days through to midnight or later! hahaha no chance...

Here's a couple of articles that mentions the night racing proposal ==> http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57281 and http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 2923.shtml
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#75 Post by Edgar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:35 am

http://www.singaporegp.sg/index.html

I've said before, if Melbourne does not live up to its expectation, we might lose the F1 rounds in Australia completely. Thanks VIC for the fck you all! :wank:

More rounds than ever will be held in and around Asia. Middle East will soon host 2 rounds, and 2 rounds in South East Asia itself, both being Malaysia and Singapore. Then there is China.

If Australia lose the GP, I would like to thank the Victorians for losing what they stole.