'No chance' Adelaide will bid for Grand Prix

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

Re: 'No chance' Adelaide will bid for Grand Prix

#76 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:41 pm

F1 is not what it used to be.
Even if we got it back, the actual championship has lost its prestige.

Id much rather dwell in the memories of Adelaide's prestigious motoring past than have the F1 return in its current "generic" state. You cannot tell me that the Melbourne GP has the same prestige as the Adelaide race and I think it has more to do with the F1 itself than Adelaide being a more prestigious location.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#77 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:31 am

Edgar wrote:I've said before, if Melbourne does not live up to its expectation, we might lose the F1 rounds in Australia completely.
Looks like Brando and you picked it, according to news.com today:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23151985-2,00.html
Melbourne Grand Prix faces axe - F1 boss
[Mr Ecclestone said that if Melbourne were to retain the race, conditions would be non-negotiable. He said: "In Melbourne, if we were to
continue to be there, we would have to have a night race - the only option."]

I can imagine the residents of Albert Park accepting a night race.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#78 Post by Brando » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:30 am

Xaragmata wrote:
Edgar wrote:I've said before, if Melbourne does not live up to its expectation, we might lose the F1 rounds in Australia completely.
Looks like Brando and you picked it, according to news.com today:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23151985-2,00.html
Melbourne Grand Prix faces axe - F1 boss
[Mr Ecclestone said that if Melbourne were to retain the race, conditions would be non-negotiable. He said: "In Melbourne, if we were to
continue to be there, we would have to have a night race - the only option."]

I can imagine the residents of Albert Park accepting a night race.
It will truely be a sad day for Australia if we do lose this and a very bitter day for Adelaide in particular. Your right mate, very little chance of a night race.

Premier Brumby all-round :wank:

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#79 Post by UrbanSG » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:32 am

Although it would be sad for Australia I actually think it just goes to show what happens when you steal a race from another city, karma people, karma. Imagine if it does leave Australia, thanks Melbourne for stealing it off of Adelaide and then loosing it all together, nice one :wank: I can't believe how popular Clipsal is, it is amazing that we have made this race so popular and shows a true fighting spirit over here when it comes to car racing. Something we can be proud of.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#80 Post by Will » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:53 am

After Premier Brumby's infamous attack on our state, I think this is a case of natural justice.

They took a successful race from our little 'backwater' and ruined it.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#81 Post by JamesXander » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:24 pm

If we don't have a Government official speaking to the F1 body, we have got to be crazy.

Surely we could make a renegade bid, at least try and get it. We have the creditials, we have had it before. We will surely get bigger crowds & we wouldn't lose as much money.

Ifs its a night race, well so be it. The atmosphere is great, and it will reach an audience that all our advertising put together will ever be able to capture. Our main message should be for people to IMMIGRATE here, to INVEST here and to potentially visit.

I say go for it. We are crazy if we don't.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#82 Post by Pistol » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:47 pm

^^ Simple economics. Besides I think that the Vic Racecourse grandstand was an integral part of a possible bid for the F1.

On a side note, I saw the latest ads for the Vic F1 race where they show all facets of the race - has anyone noticed that they use Clipsal footage to advertise that the V8s are going to be racing in Melbourne? Backwater my ass.

Like everyone else has said thanks for stealing our race and losing it! Bloody Vics.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#83 Post by Wayno » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Pistol78 wrote: <snip>
On a side note, I saw the latest ads for the Vic F1 race where they show all facets of the race - has anyone noticed that they use Clipsal footage to advertise that the V8s are going to be racing in Melbourne? Backwater my ass.
The Vic F1 TV advertisement also fails to state the race is being held in Melbourne!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#84 Post by Edgar » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:44 pm

JamesXander wrote:If we don't have a Government official speaking to the F1 body, we have got to be crazy.

Surely we could make a renegade bid, at least try and get it. We have the creditials, we have had it before. We will surely get bigger crowds & we wouldn't lose as much money.

Ifs its a night race, well so be it. The atmosphere is great, and it will reach an audience that all our advertising put together will ever be able to capture. Our main message should be for people to IMMIGRATE here, to INVEST here and to potentially visit.

I say go for it. We are crazy if we don't.
I agree with other people, even if it does come back here it is never going to be the same.

Another problem is, in order for the F1 races to race in Australia after 2010, we would have to make it a night race. Economically and Australian-civility wise, it is not even an inch closer to be possible.

Well, both the F1 boss and F1 Australia body have high expectation and egos. They won't back down to give way to each other. One wants night race or no race, and the other no-night race at all but still want to keep the contract.

Let this be a lesson to the Victorians, I am pretty sure they would receive a harsh hits from the fans, the people of Australia and also the media, and they will be put into real shame, first, for stealing the Adelaide GP, second, failing to relive the Australia F1 glory, and finally, for losing it.

Then we can all laugh at the Vics for being a real loser thief. :wank:
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#85 Post by Edgar » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:47 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Although it would be sad for Australia I actually think it just goes to show what happens when you steal a race from another city, karma people, karma. Imagine if it does leave Australia, thanks Melbourne for stealing it off of Adelaide and then loosing it all together, nice one :wank: I can't believe how popular Clipsal is, it is amazing that we have made this race so popular and shows a true fighting spirit over here when it comes to car racing. Something we can be proud of.
Clipsal is only popular in Australia, nothing compared to international event like F1. Unlike the Tour Down Under, F1 has live coverage on the TV all around the world, and you get people and fans from ALL around the world swapping into the city. Unlike the Clipsal which mainly consists of visitors from local Australia, and local coverage.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#86 Post by Brando » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Pistol78 wrote:
On a side note, I saw the latest ads for the Vic F1 race where they show all facets of the race - has anyone noticed that they use Clipsal footage......
Thanks mate. I thought they did, but i only glimpsed at it so i wasn't sure.

Oh, the tragic irony :roll:

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#87 Post by JamesXander » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Whats so bad about a night race?

The atmosphere would be great, especially if its more of a twilight race. That would be Really really cool. Ofcourse it wouldn't be as family friendly. But the V8's could race during the day, then the F1's or something like that.

Our city would be shown by what it is at night, the government could encourage business's during the event to turn on all there lights, really make our city the City of Lights.

I think this is our opportunity. At least investigate the possibility of it Ranny!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#88 Post by Cruise » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:01 am

JamesXander wrote:Whats so bad about a night race?
LOL, Just think about it for a while

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by AG » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:50 am

Cruise wrote:
LOL, Just think about it for a while
"Where's that loud noise coming from?"

"Dunno, but it seems to have just gone past us. Didn't see anything anyway."

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#90 Post by Edgar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:51 am

The atmosphere would be great, especially if its more of a twilight race. That would be Really really cool. Ofcourse it wouldn't be as family friendly. But the V8's could race during the day, then the F1's or something like that.

Our city would be shown by what it is at night, the government could encourage business's during the event to turn on all there lights, really make our city the City of Lights.

I think this is our opportunity. At least investigate the possibility of it Ranny!

There is nothing wrong about night race, and in F1, Singapore is set to hold the world's first night race for F1. Of course for a city that never sleeps like Singapore, it is possible. For a nation that is dying to host an international event, it is possible. A nation that is so wealthy, it is possible. A nation with very little NIMBY's association, it is possible.

The F1 body had already said it very loud and clear, the race 'could' be moved to "Russia, India or South Korea". Not only is the F1 Australia so different now compared to when it was held in Adelaide, the entire F1 race is different too. It's all about making money and keeping the sponsors happy, the actual race comes second.