Government out to Get Moran

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Pistol
Legendary Member!

Government out to Get Moran

#1 Post by Pistol » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:09 am

Government out to get me
TORY SHEPHERD
April 06, 2007

ADELAIDE City councillor Anne Moran says the Rann Government may be plotting to run a candidate against her for Lord Mayor to ensure she does not get the job.

Ms Moran, who is still considering whether she will run for the position, said yesterday she had heard a rumour the Government was "nervous" about the possibility she could be in charge.

"I might be their worst nightmare," she said.

"The rumour I heard is that they're more worried about me being Lord Mayor than Michael Harbison because he is more co-operative."

Labor sources told The Advertiser the Government would like to run a high-profile candidate for Lord Mayor, even if it meant getting someone from outside the ACC area.

And State/Local Government Relations Minister Jennifer Rankine confirmed it would be possible for someone outside Adelaide City Council to be nominated.

"A person living outside any council area could be eligible to stand for the position of mayor or as a councillor as the legislation currently stands," she said.

However, Deputy Premier Kevin Foley described the notion the State Government would get involved in local government elections, as "nonsense". "The State Government does not get involved in local government elections," Mr Foley said.

"Furthermore, why would I oppose Anne Moran as she supported our proposal for Victoria Park?" A senior Labor source also rejected claims of a campaign to undermine Ms Moran's candidacy and stressed Labor had no plans to run a candidate for Lord Mayor.

The source said a partisan Labor candidate would be dismissed as a mere puppet of the State Government.

Labor was, however, trying to galvanise the business community to put forward candidates who could run the council in an efficient manner.

The relationship between the Government and the ACC has been tense recently.

Labor MP Tom Koutsantonis last month said the entire council should be sacked unless it started "governing for all South Australians". Ms Moran said she had heard the Government was looking for a "retired Labor party person who has a high enough profile to make it credible".

"This would be coming from the top. I'd say Foley is calling the shots here," Ms Moran said. "They know they can't sack the council, but if they can pop a puppet in there . . . it puts the council under their umbrella."

Mr Koutsantonis said while he was aware of rumours of high-profile people - including sports people, a journalist and "activists" - who were considering running, it was "nothing to do with State Government".
I for one, being in the ACC electorate, will vote against her if she runs for Lord Mayor. It is hard enough for developers to get developments approved as it is, let alone if Anne Moron has her way. The best thing for this city is if the state government does put in a puppet.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2 Post by Algernon » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:09 am

I'll consider moving to Adelaide so I can vote against that childish twit.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by AG » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:56 am

Just another move by Anne Moran to get herself some attention...

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by shuza » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:22 am

Adelaide will go back another 50 years if she gets the Lord Mayor job.
Imagine the backwater we will become!
Anyways.... she never supported the grandstand - she typically complained of its size and compromised on a 'mediocre' sized structure to appease herself and others involved.

Is it true that the Goverment cannot sack the ACC, what about legislative powers authorising to take control of the ACC?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Government out to Get Moran

#5 Post by AtD » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:31 am

Oh well, abolish the ACC then!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AG » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:43 am

shuza wrote:Adelaide will go back another 50 years if she gets the Lord Mayor job.
Anyways.... she never supported the grandstand - she typically complained of its size and compromised on a 'mediocre' sized structure to appease herself and others involved.

Is it true that the Goverment cannot sack the ACC, what about legislative powers authorising to take control of the ACC?
The State Government of New South Wales has sacked several local councils in recent years, so I cannot see why it would not be possible here.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Howie » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:13 pm

AG wrote:Just another move by Anne Moran to get herself some attention...
Have to agree, it's more to do with herself being nervous than anything the labor party.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:32 pm

Her in charge of the acc? God save us all!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by crawf » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:47 am

AG wrote:
shuza wrote:Adelaide will go back another 50 years if she gets the Lord Mayor job.

The State Government of New South Wales has sacked several local councils in recent years, so I cannot see why it would not be possible here.
A few councils in SA have got the chop in the past

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Cruise » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:38 am

crawf wrote:
A few councils in SA have got the chop in the past
they have? i thought they just algamated alot of them ie, Port Adelaide, Enfield and Munno Para and Elizabeth (Playford).