Just how fast is Dubai growing?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
bva
High Rise Poster!

Re: Just how fast is Dubai growing?

#16 Post by bva » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:04 pm

has anyone ever been there and walked the city? I have not but from most from photos it appears that the amazing skyline is not supported by a particularly strong walkable/human scale environment at ground level? (how do yu cross that motorway).
while i love taller buildings, i personally consider that a cities success should often be judged at ground level - does dubai fail or succeed here?
looking at this, for example, Adelaide is very good and I have recently worked with Jan Gehl (check out this study of Adelaide on his website) who was very positive about adelaide, but much less so about the rapidy developing skyscraper cities like dubai
that said, most tourists will want to experience dubai (although possibly not live there) so it is a success from that perspective

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by AG » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:04 pm

The older districts of Dubai are actually quite vibrant and active from the images I have seen. Unfortunately about 99% of the images of Dubai we see now are of the new districts that are under development or have been completed recently, and these are the ones that are quite poorly designed at ground level, it's more for motorists than pedestrians. Neighbouring districts and developments aren't well linked at all for the most part. The public transport network is quite poor at the moment, with no rail system in the city, although two lines for the new metro are under construction. Dubai gets most of it's water from desalination, there are hundreds of desalination plants across the emirate.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Edgar » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:03 pm

I had just completed an intensive research on the developments in Dubai for one of my assignment and I must say, I am thoroughly impressed with the city's development growth.

Yes, as someone had pointed out before, although the United Arab Emirates may be rich in oil, but the major contributor to their economy is, tourism, surprisingly. It actually exceeded their oil revenues and by 2010, they are hoping to cater for 15 millions of tourist anually, and a heart-stopping 40 millions (a real high aim) half a decade later, all under the Dubai's Vision 2010.

They want to hold the title for air and water travel hub to the middle east, a way to boost the tourism in the country, however, it was found that on average, the tourist stay is only for a couple of nights. They are currently 'growing' the 3rd PALM man-made islands and The World is already in the way.

All these developments were the results of its strong polical and economic stability, all of which was driven by the passion from the King to find a new solution for economic sustainability apart from the oil. However too much of the development growth proved too much for the real world.

Their hotels and resorts are currently at critical stage of over-supply and their 64km coastlines are packed of high-rise hotels and resorts. Their attractions? Not much, apart from their beautiful 64km coastlines and desert activities, the rest of the attractions available in Dubai are all articificial novelty, which may tire and bore out very quickly.

It is undoubtly the fastest growing city in the world, but personal feeling says China is fast approaching and is much stronger and sustainable comparing to Dubai.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Tom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:02 am

Dubai will also have the RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 in a permanent dry dock as a floating hotel/museum in the island development. Sort of like the Queen Mary in America.
Garno!