News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News from the ACC

#361 Post by Ho Really » Wed May 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Clr Yarwood wrote:What I do know is best practice, costs a bomb, will be useable for development assessment as well as futures modelling and will fire up the debate on building heights and thus Adelaide's future population.
Talking about models, I remember back in the early 80s there was a wooden model of the entire square mile on display in one of the rooms off Pirie Street. Off hand I can't remember the name of the room, but I think it had a door onto Pirie Street. This model was to scale and had all the buildings of the city. I remember then the Grenfell Centre being our tallest building. I think the model was a couple of metres square. Does it still exist? If so, it must have been update everytime a project (development) was completed.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#362 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 07, 2008 1:48 pm

Lol that model looks like it would cost more to build than Shanghai itself. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#363 Post by Howie » Wed May 07, 2008 1:50 pm

monotonehell wrote:Lol that model looks like it would cost more to build than Shanghai itself. ;)
LOL.. would've cost a pretty penny, but hey they've got trillions to blow so why stop them :)

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#364 Post by Shuz » Wed May 07, 2008 3:41 pm

I think Adelaide definetly needs to set up a 3D model display (have you seen Sydney's?!) not only are they a magnificent touristy thing to look at, but they would really assist the council when it comes to assessing future developments and their impact to the surrounding area.

I don't know if its a possibility, but it would be cool if they set up some technology that accurately highlights shadowing impacts and sun angles, which could again give greater perspective to assessing new developments.

And please, I beg you, when you review the Development Plan, be realistic and lift those height limits!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#365 Post by Will » Wed May 07, 2008 5:49 pm

Clr Yarwood, I would like to offer 2 ideas, which I hope you could consider.

1. Can the council floodlight the town hall at night. The town hall is one of our most magnificent heritage buildings, and I find it bizarre that it is not floodlit at night.

2. The western end of Gouger Street should get a facelift. With the recent reality that new lifestyle businesses have established themselves on that part of the street, I think that if that part of Gouger Street were to be upgraded to a similar style to the eastern side of Gouger Street, it would make the street more pedestrian friendly, which in turn would make it more attractive for even more cafes, restaurants and bars to open down that side of the city. It would be great if Gouger Street were made into a lifestyle precinct spanning from Victoria Square to West Terrace,

skyliner

#366 Post by skyliner » Wed May 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Clr Yarwood wrote:What I do know is best practice, costs a bomb, will be useable for development assessment as well as futures modelling and will fire up the debate on building heights and thus Adelaide's future population.
Talking about models, I remember back in the early 80s there was a wooden model of the entire square mile on display in one of the rooms off Pirie Street. Off hand I can't remember the name of the room, but I think it had a door onto Pirie Street. This model was to scale and had all the buildings of the city. I remember then the Grenfell Centre being our tallest building. I think the model was a couple of metres square. Does it still exist? If so, it must have been update everytime a project (development) was completed.

Cheers
I remember seeing that and yes, it was accessed from Pirie St. Also don't have a clue as to what happened to it.The Grenfell centre at that stage was planned to be the highest part of the CBD. At this stage I accessed a considerable amount of Adelaide development from here. ( in essence pre computer/net days)

The model a great concept to have.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Omicron

#367 Post by Omicron » Wed May 07, 2008 11:17 pm

Clr Yarwood wrote:5 hours at the table last night and we have a draft budget for consultation – so please get involved and have your say. Key things from MY perspective:

• A separate 1% green levy on rates for green energy projects to accelerate carbon neutrality
• Solar Panels on the Central Market - a clean and green future
• Funding for 3D modelling software to look at building heights and population
• upgrade of Victoria Square and Victoria Park
• infrastructure for the Glenelg Recycled Waste Water Pipeline
• Increased use of water harvested from Aquatic Centre
• Residential growth and affordable housing initiatives
• Establishment of a Rundle Mall subsidiary
• Development Plan amendments to list more local heritage places
• Introduction of a 3 bin residential waste system
• Provision of more cycling infrastructure
• North Terrace, Grote Street and Frome Park upgrades
• Stage 5 of the Park Lands trail project
• More funding for arts, community groups and sporting groups
• Review of the Development Plan
• Review of Council Carparking
• Preparation of a Parklands Strategy
• The Rundle Lantern project

Have a look at the document – especially the map – and offer some more good comments!
Yay! Happenings!

Clr Yarwood
High Rise Poster!

#368 Post by Clr Yarwood » Thu May 08, 2008 1:42 pm

The Budget also included some $ to look into a City of Adelaide Museum which could include a scale model…there is a brilliant Urban Planning Museum in Singapore that I visits every time I go (yep – cities nerd!) with a scale model…developers are required to provide the scale of their own development to be placed in there as a part of their development approval.

So in summary –noted and I agree re model – it will happen one day I am sure.

Building heights will be considered with the 3D Model software in conjunctions with the Development Plan Review. I undertook and wrote the last City of Playford Review so this is my “oxygen”…cannot wait!

Gouger Street – I agree, it’s all about $ and time. I’d like to get the tram along west Tce and then Gouger and that would change everything. Limited $ and Vic Sq is the priority with upgrades for now.

There will be substantial population growth in this area over next 5-10 years that will drive this directive I bet…Grote is another – it’s the gateway to Adelaide from the airport.

I live between Grote and Gouger by the way!
Councillor Stephen Yarwood
Candidate for Lord Mayor
Adelaide City Council

http://www.StephenYarwood.com

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#369 Post by Ben » Thu May 08, 2008 1:47 pm

That all sounds very prmosing. Thanks for the update.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#370 Post by Howie » Thu May 08, 2008 1:49 pm

Nice one.. i'll have to check the singaporean model next time I'm down that way.

Looks good from these photos though!

A city of adelaide museum would be fantastic!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#371 Post by Shuz » Thu May 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Clr Yarwood wrote:
Gouger Street – I agree, it’s all about $ and time. I’d like to get the tram along west Tce and then Gouger and that would change everything. Limited $ and Vic Sq is the priority with upgrades for now.

There will be substantial population growth in this area over next 5-10 years that will drive this directive I bet…Grote is another – it’s the gateway to Adelaide from the airport.

I live between Grote and Gouger by the way!
Clr Yarwood, can I just please heavily emphasise on an important point.

I am a serious advocate of any further tram extension wherever it may go, but may I just highlight that when dealing with West Terrace, we are talking about one of Adelaide's major traffic corridors. As a 10-lane highway is essentially what it is, It would only cause traffic chaos to run the tramline directly down its median. I would hope that if there is ever an investigation into a tramline down this route, that the logical approach to construct it would be in a seperate corridor directly on the eastern edge of West Terrace. From many perspectives, it would decrease risk to passengers (being adjacent to a footpath, and not running across a 5 lane road to the median!) limiting traffic chaos by with its interference to traffic signal sequences - just as per Greenhill Road example, and it would pull in a greater commuter margin because of improved accessibility.

Regarding the model idea, get it going ASAP. Please :D

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#372 Post by Will » Thu May 08, 2008 4:19 pm

The idea of a City of Adelaide Museum is a fantastic one. There are similar museums in Sydney and Melbourne, and they are fantastic attractions which are very popular with tourists (I don't have actual figures, just my opinion based on the amount of people I saw when I visited).

Such a museum should be in a prominent location. The mistake made with the National Wine Centre MUST NOT be repeated! It should preferably located in Victoria Square. I would strongly encourage the ACC to convince the Carnegie Mellon University to vacate the Torrens Building. The Torrens Building is the perfect location for such a museum!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#373 Post by Will » Thu May 08, 2008 4:20 pm

The idea of a City of Adelaide Museum is a fantastic one. There are similar museums in Sydney and Melbourne, and they are fantastic attractions which are very popular with tourists (I don't have actual figures, just my opinion based on the amount of people I saw when I visited).

Such a museum should be in a prominent location. The mistake made with the National Wine Centre MUST NOT be repeated! It should preferably located in Victoria Square. I would strongly encourage the ACC to convince the Carnegie Mellon University to vacate the Torrens Building. The Torrens Building is the perfect location for such a museum!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#374 Post by Wayno » Thu May 08, 2008 6:21 pm

Clr Yarwood wrote:Building heights will be considered with the 3D Model software in conjunctions with the Development Plan Review. I undertook and wrote the last City of Playford Review so this is my “oxygen”…cannot wait!
Clr Yarwood, do you have any CBD maximum building height analysis documentation that could be shared with us? That is, independent of the ACC's current height limit regulations, what is the maximum theoretical height (in metres) that buildings could be constructed (in various locations around the CBD) before hitting the PAN OPS safety ceiling. Below the PAN OPS ceiling is another threshold called OLS (above which certain authorities can grant building approval).

A map of the Adelaide CBD showing this detail would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

Here's my weak attempt at pictorially describing the situation:
building-height.JPG
building-height.JPG (41.69 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#375 Post by rogue » Thu May 08, 2008 8:42 pm

^^^ That's classic!!! I nearly choked on my dinner. The best bit is the plane....