[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Maximus
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: PRO: Victoria Square Upgrade

#901 Post by Maximus » Tue May 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Wayno wrote:yep, traffic all around but hopefully with various traffic calming techniques - slower speed limit, different road colour, different texture to give an audible queue to drivers...
Or a cue, even... :wink:

(Sorry, I'm a self-confessed spelling Nazi.)
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#902 Post by monotonehell » Tue May 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Maximus wrote:
Wayno wrote:yep, traffic all around but hopefully with various traffic calming techniques - slower speed limit, different road colour, different texture to give an audible queue to drivers...
Or a cue, even... :wink:

(Sorry, I'm a self-confessed spelling Nazi.)
10 points.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#903 Post by Prince George » Wed May 16, 2012 9:51 am

Is this essentially the same masterplan from 18 or so months ago? Wayno, the one that you and I went to the public meeting about? If so, people shouldn't underestimate how much work and thought the designers had put in to try to solve the problem of on the one hand improving access by foot to a public space and on the other the realities of getting this project off the ground in a city that complains constantly about a perceived lack of parking. Yes, the centre is surrounded by street, but the changes to the number of traffic patterns that can pass through the area (restricting which directions traffic can come from, reducing the number of lanes, reducing the number of intersecting bits of street, like that section in front of the Torrens building) and the "passive" calming measures (narrower lanes, changing the gentle diagonals into sharp right-angles, resurfacing and changing levels so you feel yourself drive up a lip as you go through the square) are their attempt to square the circle (so to speak) and balance those contradictory concerns.

They also spoke about how they expected that at some point in the future the decision to close it further would feel inevitable and that they wanted a design that would make that change simpler

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#904 Post by omada » Wed May 16, 2012 12:47 pm

They also spoke about how they expected that at some point in the future the decision to close it further would feel inevitable and that they wanted a design that would make that change simpler
Sure kudos to the designers etc, but why not close off the traffic NOW, why in the future? why always in the future??? make it happen ACC, enough talk of laneways, of consultation, thinkers of residence, DO IT!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#905 Post by Wayno » Wed May 16, 2012 2:59 pm

belatedly cue monotonehell. i'm still waiting for you to create the 'Officious Grammar Thread'. ;-)

Prince George, AFAIK it's the same VSQ plan as when we met many moons ago. By the way welcome back to the forums. I hope Queeny and yourself are doing well. I miss her posts as well.

Omada, the 'staged' approach being used by ACC (due to a lack of finances) may end up meaning the EW traffic does get cut off from day #1 of the completed square. We'll just have to wait and see i suppose. Doing it now (as in today) will only piss people off, and for no good reason.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#906 Post by skyliner » Thu May 17, 2012 4:18 pm

As Wayno said, welcome back Prince - have missed your input.

- The VSQ plan could still be greatly enhanced with a standout/iconic feature/tower in the centre - open it up to public development.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#907 Post by bm7500 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 am

skyliner wrote:As Wayno said, welcome back Prince - have missed your input.

- The VSQ plan could still be greatly enhanced with a standout/iconic feature/tower in the centre - open it up to public development.

+1
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Waewick

#908 Post by Waewick » Fri May 18, 2012 10:30 am

no don't open it up to public debate

get someone to do it and let the public debate happen afterwards and deal with it.

public debate is just another term for delaying/ending a project.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#909 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 18, 2012 11:49 am

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER NISSAN SKYLINE
I used to think this, but then when looking at a render I realised that having something tall looming in the centre of the park would create tension. Better to have an open sky to create the sense of space within a city, instead of more city within a space.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino

#910 Post by rhino » Fri May 18, 2012 12:26 pm

monotonehell wrote: Better to have an open sky to create the sense of space within a city, instead of more city within a space.
This.

Adelaide is already a "city within a space". That's what the parklands do. Let Vic Square be a space within a city within a space. Within suburbs. Within more space.
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#911 Post by crawf » Fri May 18, 2012 2:14 pm

After going for a stroll through the beautiful Hyde Park in Sydney this week. I would love to see something similar for Victoria Square but on a smaller scale.

Nort

#912 Post by Nort » Fri May 18, 2012 5:15 pm

monotonehell wrote:

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER NISSAN SKYLINE
I used to think this, but then when looking at a render I realised that having something tall looming in the centre of the park would create tension. Better to have an open sky to create the sense of space within a city, instead of more city within a space.
If the current rate of construction can be maintained then Victoria Square will be a great park in 20 years, surrounded by dense buildings all around.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#913 Post by Pistol » Fri May 18, 2012 5:46 pm

rhino wrote:
monotonehell wrote: Better to have an open sky to create the sense of space within a city, instead of more city within a space.
This.

Adelaide is already a "city within a space". That's what the parklands do. Let Vic Square be a space within a city within a space. Within suburbs. Within more space.
I am loving your comments today Rhino :banana:
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM] PRO: Victoria Square Upgrade

#914 Post by Matt » Sat May 19, 2012 6:43 pm

I think a tower would defeat the purpose of the entire plan. Surely there are better spots for that?

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#915 Post by mutt » Sat May 19, 2012 7:02 pm

a tower would be the dumbest idea ever :hilarious: