[COM] Renaissance Arcade | 132m | 40 Levels | Realm Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Renaissance Arcade | 132m | 40 Levels | Realm Apartments

#841 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 pm

From today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

normh
High Rise Poster!

#842 Post by normh » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:18 pm

What a good photo, clearly showing the upramps and the end of the carparking space and the start of the accommodation and community facilities.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#843 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:39 pm

They're actually numbering the floors on this one! Yay!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#844 Post by Pikey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:55 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:39 pm
You beat me to it! Great to see a numbered core for a change
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

normh
High Rise Poster!

#845 Post by normh » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Pikey wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:55 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:39 pm
You beat me to it! Great to see a numbered core for a change
:idea: so may be some one did read that email http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 65#p173763
:D

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#846 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Can someone post the article from the Advertiser today?
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 59832b0a88

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#847 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Mansions Apartments in CBD facing closure because of nearby 40-storey Realm apartment tower project
Renato Castello, Urban Development Editor, The Advertiser
February 13, 2019 1:36pm

A city hotel operator claims it has suffered more than $100,000 in lost trade and could be forced to close because of disruption caused by the construction of one of Adelaide’s tallest buildings.

La Loft Adelaide, which operates the Mansions Apartments on Pulteney Street, says builders of the neighbouring Realm Apartment building “don’t give a stuff” about the impact construction of the 132m-tall tower is having on their Pulteney St property.

It is now bracing for an overnight concrete pour between February 19 and 20, with builder Maxcon refusing to pay compensation for potential loss of trade.

La Loft general manager Simon O’Callaghan said the business had suffered revenue losses “exceeding $110,000” last year due to construction of the $200 million 40-storey apartment Realm building behind the state heritage-listed Mansions building.

“This is a mix of guests being compensated to stay, cancelled bookings as well as a general downturn due to guest feedback on social media,” he said of the business which manages 34 serviced apartments.

“Since commencement of demolition in September 2017 we have sought to be good neighbours, motivated to provide accommodation to trades as the development progresses.

“Sadly, the building process is having a greater and more critical impact on our business.

“Much of this lost revenue has had to be found to continue operating. Faced with another 12 months of the same I have no doubt we will not survive.”

La Loft director and former Orange Lane market operator John Roper took over management of the Mansions business in June 2014, employing 15 staff.

He said Maxcon, which is constructing the tower on behalf of Sydney-based developer and property finance company the Myst Group, had initially said it would accommodate tradespeople in the Mansions but he said that never happened.

“We love the building going up and understand there is going to be a construction process … but compensate us in some way,” he said.

Mr O’Callaghan wrote to Maxcon on January 30 seeking $50,000 in compensation for estimated loss of revenue due to the business having to relocate guests and staff during February’s concrete pour.

In a return email, seen by The Advertiser, Maxcon project manager Peyman Jadid said the company could “not entertain” compensation.

“We are prepared to provide mansions guests noise cancelling headphone (sic) and eye mask (sic) for the night as a compromise,” he said.

Mr O’Callaghan said for major projects such as Realm, developers should have to put funds in trust, which could be used to provide compensation for neighbouring businesses.

He said an email to Myst director Paul Smith and associate Anthony Pattinson on November 18 last year outlining his concerns, had remained unanswered.

La Loft Apartments executives Simon O'Callaghan, Richard Peace and company director John Roper, with resident PJ Rose on rooftop of the Mansions Apartment. Picture: (AAP/ Keryn Stevens
Realm has been contacted for comment. The project is expected to be completed by later this year, early 2020.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#848 Post by Pants » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 pm

The render in that article mentions a re-design. I haven’t seen this whole thread, but I don’t think I’ve seen this before:

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#849 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 pm

Pants wrote:The render in that article mentions a re-design. I haven’t seen this whole thread, but I don’t think I’ve seen this.
The story of the redesign was mentioned in October last year and was to counter wind-loads according to the architect.

Before (left) and After (right) below:

LMB
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#850 Post by LMB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Ben wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:31 pm
Mansions Apartments in CBD facing closure because of nearby 40-storey Realm apartment tower project
Renato Castello, Urban Development Editor, The Advertiser
February 13, 2019 1:36pm

A city hotel operator claims it has suffered more than $100,000 in lost trade and could be forced to close because of disruption caused by the construction of one of Adelaide’s tallest buildings.

La Loft Adelaide, which operates the Mansions Apartments on Pulteney Street, says builders of the neighbouring Realm Apartment building “don’t give a stuff” about the impact construction of the 132m-tall tower is having on their Pulteney St property.

It is now bracing for an overnight concrete pour between February 19 and 20, with builder Maxcon refusing to pay compensation for potential loss of trade.

La Loft general manager Simon O’Callaghan said the business had suffered revenue losses “exceeding $110,000” last year due to construction of the $200 million 40-storey apartment Realm building behind the state heritage-listed Mansions building.

“This is a mix of guests being compensated to stay, cancelled bookings as well as a general downturn due to guest feedback on social media,” he said of the business which manages 34 serviced apartments.

“Since commencement of demolition in September 2017 we have sought to be good neighbours, motivated to provide accommodation to trades as the development progresses.

“Sadly, the building process is having a greater and more critical impact on our business.

“Much of this lost revenue has had to be found to continue operating. Faced with another 12 months of the same I have no doubt we will not survive.”

La Loft director and former Orange Lane market operator John Roper took over management of the Mansions business in June 2014, employing 15 staff.

He said Maxcon, which is constructing the tower on behalf of Sydney-based developer and property finance company the Myst Group, had initially said it would accommodate tradespeople in the Mansions but he said that never happened.

“We love the building going up and understand there is going to be a construction process … but compensate us in some way,” he said.

Mr O’Callaghan wrote to Maxcon on January 30 seeking $50,000 in compensation for estimated loss of revenue due to the business having to relocate guests and staff during February’s concrete pour.

In a return email, seen by The Advertiser, Maxcon project manager Peyman Jadid said the company could “not entertain” compensation.

“We are prepared to provide mansions guests noise cancelling headphone (sic) and eye mask (sic) for the night as a compromise,” he said.

Mr O’Callaghan said for major projects such as Realm, developers should have to put funds in trust, which could be used to provide compensation for neighbouring businesses.

He said an email to Myst director Paul Smith and associate Anthony Pattinson on November 18 last year outlining his concerns, had remained unanswered.

La Loft Apartments executives Simon O'Callaghan, Richard Peace and company director John Roper, with resident PJ Rose on rooftop of the Mansions Apartment. Picture: (AAP/ Keryn Stevens
Realm has been contacted for comment. The project is expected to be completed by later this year, early 2020.
Some comments from recent Tripadvisor reviews have been provided below. I'm sure there are other contributing factors to the property facing closure. Perhaps lack of maintenance?

• An absolute dump
• The building looks like it will be knocked down shortly from the lack of maintenance
• Very out dated, my apartment stank. Parking is very inconvenient. No air conditioning in the bedroom. Shower is just gross, umm get mold anyone?
• This is the second time I have stayed here in 4 years and nothing has been done to the place. Very shabby seriously needs an update. Not particularly clean either
• Inspection quickly revealed a water-damaged bathroom cupboard, wood rot, filthy surfaces throughout, marks on most walks, unrepaired minor damage throughout and a room that suggested no maintenance for many years. It seemed out of the 1960s. Towels, toilet paper, tissues and utensils are of the lowest grade.
• The carpets are stained, the beds were uncomfortable, the rooms are sparsely provisioned, paint is peeling off window trims etc.....I could go on
• One step above homeless
• Credit to the staff that they can keep this rubble going... but to rate this as a 3 1/2 star establishment is a stretch...Someone has tried to modernize the place at some point, tile paint from Bunnings and an Artline pen and stencil is not exactly going to fool anyone that it is renovated. Does any hotel really think a shower curtain albeit one that dumps the water anywhere but back in the shower is appropriate..
• You got to love the wooden floorboards right?.. pity its only because you can see them through the threadbare carpet...
• The decore is worn out 80s that should have been updated 10 years ago
• Carpets in the corridors are thread bare and the rooms are really quite unkept
• But our room was disgusting! Windows were dirty, rooms very old, wonky furniture
• I was booked in for a two night stay.I spent 30 weeks away from home last year for business, so I know a thing or two about places to stay away from home
Just NO. Unless you can't walk for 5 minutes pick somewhere else.Dirty. Smells old. Way over priced.Feels like a half step up from a back packers.The website picture are just not even close

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#851 Post by Nort » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:42 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 pm
Pants wrote:The render in that article mentions a re-design. I haven’t seen this whole thread, but I don’t think I’ve seen this.
The story of the redesign was mentioned in October last year and was to counter wind-loads according to the architect.

Before (left) and After (right) below:

It's amazing how decorative elements flush with flat windows can apparently increase the wind load. :roll:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#852 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm

LMB wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Some comments from recent Tripadvisor reviews have been provided below. I'm sure there are other contributing factors to the property facing closure. Perhaps lack of maintenance?

• An absolute dump
• The building looks like it will be knocked down shortly from the lack of maintenance
• Very out dated, my apartment stank. Parking is very inconvenient. No air conditioning in the bedroom. Shower is just gross, umm get mold anyone?
• This is the second time I have stayed here in 4 years and nothing has been done to the place. Very shabby seriously needs an update. Not particularly clean either
• Inspection quickly revealed a water-damaged bathroom cupboard, wood rot, filthy surfaces throughout, marks on most walks, unrepaired minor damage throughout and a room that suggested no maintenance for many years. It seemed out of the 1960s. Towels, toilet paper, tissues and utensils are of the lowest grade.
• The carpets are stained, the beds were uncomfortable, the rooms are sparsely provisioned, paint is peeling off window trims etc.....I could go on
• One step above homeless
• Credit to the staff that they can keep this rubble going... but to rate this as a 3 1/2 star establishment is a stretch...Someone has tried to modernize the place at some point, tile paint from Bunnings and an Artline pen and stencil is not exactly going to fool anyone that it is renovated. Does any hotel really think a shower curtain albeit one that dumps the water anywhere but back in the shower is appropriate..
• You got to love the wooden floorboards right?.. pity its only because you can see them through the threadbare carpet...
• The decore is worn out 80s that should have been updated 10 years ago
• Carpets in the corridors are thread bare and the rooms are really quite unkept
• But our room was disgusting! Windows were dirty, rooms very old, wonky furniture
• I was booked in for a two night stay.I spent 30 weeks away from home last year for business, so I know a thing or two about places to stay away from home
Just NO. Unless you can't walk for 5 minutes pick somewhere else.Dirty. Smells old. Way over priced.Feels like a half step up from a back packers.The website picture are just not even close
I had a feeling this would be the case. It's such a shame because it's such a lovely old building in the best of locations.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#853 Post by citywatcher » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Trip advisor
The definitive bible on accommodation

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Tommo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#854 Post by Tommo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:35 am

crawf wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm
I had a feeling this would be the case. It's such a shame because it's such a lovely old building in the best of locations.
Might need to send in Gordon Ramsay.

normh
High Rise Poster!

#855 Post by normh » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:04 am

citywatcher wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:07 pm
Trip advisor
The definitive bible on accommodation

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
I think crawf was just using one example and not just tripadvisor. As per the article in The advertiser, the GM partially blamed "cancelled bookings" so people are getting their information from somewhere and also a general downturn due to "social media".

I have no issues with the suggestion of compensation for works carried out by others that impact a business, it needs to be quantifiable however and not just general statements and vague innuendo.

so prior to 11Sep2017 and post in social media do the comments change much?, open their books and take it from there. Does it need to be full compensation? I don't know! the business' in the area may/may not benefit once the development is complete.
2019-02-14 TheAdvertiser.PNG
The Advertiser 14Feb2019