[COM] SAHMRI | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #PRO - Health and Medical Research Institute (HMRI) - $200m

#61 Post by Adelarch » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:44 pm

capitalist wrote:This will be like the RAH

a massive announcement then....oh wait we aren't actually going to build it intil 2055 when the economy is back on track

good to see people aren't fooled by a few nice pictures.
well perhaps not because the building contractor has apparently already started mobilising on-site. I think what would be more interesting to know is, in the event of a liberal victory and cancellation of the project, what sort of huge payouts would the (new) government potentially be liable for in terminating existing contracts? Looks like a poison pill to me

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by skyliner » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Adelarch wrote:

a massive announcement then....oh wait we aren't actually going to build it intil 2055 when the economy is back on track

well perhaps not because the building contractor has apparently already started mobilising on-site. I think what would be more interesting to know is, in the event of a liberal victory and cancellation of the project, what sort of huge payouts would the (new) government potentially be liable for in terminating existing contracts? Looks like a poison pill to me
In response to the bold section - either that or labour is sure it will win. Makes for interesting consideration however.

BTW - Just have to say it again - fantastic architecture :!: :!:

Also BTW - can someone 'please explain' why Adelaide Now is constantly so negative -even on this bldg. The journalism is biased in this way almost all the time - few other voices seem to get a place. Sick of the negativity - bad enough with the commonly held idea that seems to prevail that Adelaide is this and this and this etc. So good to have THIS site around.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

medo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#63 Post by medo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi,

Before we chose Adelaide as our destination we were advised about the prevailing parochial mentality among the people and it looks to have been the right advice. Comments in the AdelaideNow are a fine example (+) compounded with the political filtering when a local newspaper has a very obvious political agenda. As you know; AdelaideNow is the online hand of the Advertiser and News Corporation. News Corporation always supported right wings parties (early T.Blair was an exception) because it was the only way to achieve their financial and influential status that they (sadly) have now. This is not a political tractate. I am not in love with Mr. Runn (does not matter to me with whom he sleep) and his party, but at least he (as politician) has shown some vision; like it or not. Being different is a big NO in any parochial society which thrives on spitting when something different or daring is on the horizon. It looks to me that Adelaide has lost so many decades in self imposed isolation and petty jealousy toward Melbourne and Sydney. I would like, when I walk with my visiting (overseas) friends/colleagues to have something to show as a proof of a vibrant city. So far they have spent most of their time in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.
I can only hope that some (parochial) imposed limits in/on the city will finally be lifted for the benefit of the city and this web site can and hopefully will be one of very few fine examples. :cheers: The building looks brilliant :cheers: .

Medo
Last edited by medo on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#64 Post by ChrisRT » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Has anyone seen the 'poll' AdelaideNow is running on the design? (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sas-most- ... 5835059477)

The options are basically:
1) No
2) No
3) No
4) No!

AdelaideNow is a national embarrassment.

russo92
Gold-Member ;)

#65 Post by russo92 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm all for the Hospital and research centre now. The building looks excellent and we do desperately need these medical centres, and this will put Adelaide on the map as the Nation's leader in Medical Service. There's a perfectly good section of space between Morphett Road and King William Road for entertainment precint kind of things.

Waewick

#66 Post by Waewick » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Adelarch wrote:

It kind of reminds of the guy who arranged for Sydney Opera house, got his idea to a point that no one could back out regardless of if he was in power.

maybe that will be Rann's legacy?

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by dsriggs » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:13 pm

capitalist wrote:
Adelarch wrote:

It kind of reminds of the guy who arranged for Sydney Opera house, got his idea to a point that no one could back out regardless of if he was in power.

maybe that will be Rann's legacy?
What? A world-class building?

Vee
Legendary Member!

#68 Post by Vee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 pm

skyliner wrote: Also BTW - can someone 'please explain' why Adelaide Now is constantly so negative -even on this bldg. The journalism is biased in this way almost all the time - few other voices seem to get a place. Sick of the negativity - bad enough with the commonly held idea that seems to prevail that Adelaide is this and this and this etc. So good to have THIS site around.

Just what I was thinking!
I would love to see a positive media play a vitally significant role in developing and supporting an upbeat psyche for residents of Adelaide and our fair state.
We need greater self confidence and pride. Be advocates, not detractors.

South Australians need to be proud of our achievements. We need a bright future for our young people.
I am disheartened by negative outpourings in the print media, whipping up a frenzy against anything seen as progress / new and innovative infrastructure, including the proposed HMRI.

I can see logical reasons behind many development proposals as discussed on S-A but the anti-everything loud voices and views seem to get great prominence in the local media.
Constant negative headlines and stories blast out a negative message to visitors and residents alike.
Adelaide (and SA) Proud - I'd much prefer that!

Nathan

#69 Post by Nathan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:17 pm

ChrisRT wrote:Has anyone seen the 'poll' AdelaideNow is running on the design? (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sas-most- ... 5835059477)

1) No
2) No
3) No
4) No!

The poll just got even worse, take a look:
poll.png
poll.png (14.76 KiB) Viewed 3333 times

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by Will » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:17 am

If we had a liberal government, I bet everything I have that the tone of this story would be positive.

Before joining a development forum in 2002, I had no-one to rely to inform me of what was happening development wise but the Advertiser. Hence, I would cut out articles related to development. I have articles dating back to 1997. To post stuff on the 'Never Builts' thread I go through my articles. When posting recently about some never built projects at Glenelg, I got a bit sidetracked and started reading some of the articles. The first thing that hit me, because it was so blatantly different to how it is now, was how in the late 90's and early 00's when we still had a liberal governemnt, the tone of every development related story was positive.

Furthermore, Mike Rann is often criticsed of being a media whore, however, John Olsen would seriously give him a run for his money. If I had a dollar for every article which features John Olsen in a hard-hat I would have enough to take a nice holiday!

The Advertiser is owned by News Ltd, the same corporation that owns Fox. Hence, it is not dificult to imagine how the Advertiser is purposely trying to create feelings of negativity in South Australia. Because if people are feeling negative about their state, they will be more willing to vote out the government.

Not to mention I rarely get my opinions posted on AdelaideNow. Instead only the opinions of people who only post negative comments get their opinions published. I've even experiemnted to see if this was the case. One day I posted something reminiscent of what some dumb bogan would post, and cachingo! my post got published!

Matt
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by Matt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:40 am

I saw this, and I thought you'd Photoshopped it trying to make a joke... then clicked the link, and lo and behold... you weren't.
Have they been hacked or something, or is this deliberate?

As I posted on there (as if it will get published) - this sort of treatment from the city's only newspaper does Adelaide's already 'unfortunate' image no favours whatsoever.
Nathan wrote:
ChrisRT wrote:Has anyone seen the 'poll' AdelaideNow is running on the design? (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sas-most- ... 5835059477)

1) No
2) No
3) No
4) No!

The poll just got even worse, take a look:
poll.png

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#72 Post by dsriggs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:06 am

Matt wrote:I saw this, and I thought you'd Photoshopped it trying to make a joke... then clicked the link, and lo and behold... you weren't.
Have they been hacked or something, or is this deliberate?
I'm getting an "Excellent", "Average", "Poor" now, but the fact that the original poll effectively had 1 "good", 1 "ok" & 4 "Terrible" options is an embarrassment.

Anybody who read the Sunday Mail knows which way they're looking on this. The announcement of both this brilliant building & the Victor Harbour Road intersection was saved for page 30 under the heading "Rann Goes Over the Top". Pathetic.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by Matt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:39 am

Loving it.
Hoping it lives up to the render.

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#74 Post by yousername » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:53 am

dsriggs wrote:
Matt wrote: I'm getting an "Excellent", "Average", "Poor" now, but the fact that the original poll effectively had 1 "good", 1 "ok" & 4 "Terrible" options is an embarrassment.
I still have only "Poor" as the choice. :applause: Advertiser, youve reached a [strike]new[/strike] another low.
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

Waewick

#75 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:26 am

dsriggs wrote: What? A world-class building?
I have a funny feeling people in places other than Adelaide don't feel the need to call something a "world class stadium"